1 2 3
B430
B430 Reader
7/10/12 9:02 p.m.

I gave into my car guy needs and bought something the significant other pretty clearly told me not to. She doesn't know yet, how do I minimize the conflict that will occur when she finds out? Or do I just hide it indefinitely?

I am now the proud owner of a 1962 ford falcon futura coupe :-) straight 6, 3 speed column shift, in pretty decent shape for being 50 years old. Can't wait to drive it home tomorrow.

So I know a lot of you have been in the same boat, what did you do?

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/10/12 9:06 p.m.

Can you sleep in it?

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
7/10/12 9:07 p.m.

Good Luck is all I can say. I'm not that brave

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
7/10/12 9:07 p.m.

Sell something else to offset the new purchase....

Or "Honey look what I bought to resell, after I fix it up we will be able to sell it for profit". Just be real vague about the time frame that you will sell it in and hopefully eventually she will forget about it. You never know she may like it and want to keep it.

Good luck, enjoy the car

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/10/12 9:08 p.m.

Buy her something nice enough that she won't give a damn about the car?

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
7/10/12 9:10 p.m.

An equivalent purchase in diamonds or gold might go a long way......

-Rob

B430
B430 Reader
7/10/12 9:11 p.m.

Well I'm trying to sell my truck, which also isn't too bad to sleep in....and the truck is worth more than i paid for the falcon, so in the end I profit, just need to get rid of the truck ASAP.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/10/12 9:15 p.m.
B430 wrote: I gave into my car guy needs and bought something the significant other pretty clearly told me not to.
So I know a lot of you have been in the same boat, what did you do?

My ex told me that she could not live with someone who had three cars....it was a frivolous waste of money, etc. I started building a fourth.

Yes, she's now an ex. Sometimes you have to make choices, though....

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/10/12 9:18 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: Good Luck is all I can say. I'm not that brave

Gotta go with this one. SWMBO & I very rarely draw lines in the sand, but neither of us has dared to cross one in 17 years together. Hate to see the war that occurs when it finally happens.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
7/10/12 9:19 p.m.

Do you tell her not to buy stuff?

You bought the car, and you're going to sell the truck. I don't see a problem.

mw
mw Dork
7/10/12 9:25 p.m.

Can you store it somewhere else until the truck sells? Then make a deal with her that you won't buy the falcon until the truck is sold. As long as she never finds out, you're golden.

Or

Can you claim it belongs to a friend, brother etc and that you're just storing it? Then you work out a deal with that friend to buy it after truck is sold.

Or

Sell it fast.

Those are the ones I've used personally. So far so good.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
7/10/12 9:36 p.m.

I want to thank the OP... I pulled this thread up and posed it to my girlfriend.

She basically responded that if its not causing a financial hardship or neglect of other responsibilities whats the BFD?

I think shes a keeper...

I would say that a logical statement about the money offset of selling the truck, that its not going to get it the way, and how good of a deal it was is best. Be sure to point out that you seriously weighed her thoughts on it. At least for me, its better to own this type of thing right away then have the added trouble for having hidden it.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
7/10/12 9:41 p.m.

If you're better looking and/or make more money than your wife, this sort of stuff is a clean kill. What's she going to do, leave you? Ha!

B430
B430 Reader
7/10/12 9:45 p.m.

I tell her not to buy stuff, though it's more advice not an order, I'm pretty sure she's spent more on shoes in the past 3 months than I paid for this car.

I think the main issue is my last project is still in a million pieces in the garage. My justification is now I'm motivated to get it out so I can get the new one in.

And ya I can keep the car out of sight, park it down the street or something, I'm just an absolutely terrible liar.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/10/12 9:46 p.m.

Let her drive it? She might like it if she understands why you bought it...

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
7/10/12 9:47 p.m.

If she gets angry because she thinks cars a waste of money, she's not the one.

If she gets angry because your not paying your bills, then it (the car) is not the one.

B430
B430 Reader
7/10/12 9:50 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: If you're better looking and/or make more money than your wife, this sort of stuff is a clean kill. What's she going to do, leave you? Ha!

She's better looking, and at the moment is making more $$ so I guess I'm screwed lol. I'll start packing.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
7/10/12 9:50 p.m.

Best car ever . Double your money after you hoon it."It's an investment honey, for the future"

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
7/10/12 10:29 p.m.
B430 wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: If you're better looking and/or make more money than your wife, this sort of stuff is a clean kill. What's she going to do, leave you? Ha!
She's better looking, and at the moment is making more $$ so I guess I'm screwed lol. I'll start packing.

S.O.L!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
7/10/12 10:38 p.m.

Full size back seat? Bottle of wine, wedge of cheese,

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/10/12 11:07 p.m.

turn on the tears....then tell her it was either the Ford....or bath salts.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
7/11/12 5:27 a.m.

Humility & honesty. She's gonna be mad right off the bat no matter how you "spin" it, so don't pour salt in the wound by lying about it. If it was a bad financial decision to get it, maybe she should be mad. Get a game plan together for selling the truck, if that's what you truly intend to do, and do it.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
7/11/12 5:37 a.m.
petegossett wrote: Buy her something nice enough that she won't give a damn about the car?

I'd caution you on this advice. I did this once and it went even worse for me.

She was originally just mad over the car purchase. But then she was even more pissed that I spent even more money without her knowing it ( on the makeup present) and also that I thought the makeup present would work! It just showed how I really didn't know her.

So I gave her 3 reasons to be p.o.'d instead of one.

7pilot
7pilot Reader
7/11/12 5:51 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: I want to thank the OP... I pulled this thread up and posed it to my girlfriend. She basically responded that if its not causing a financial hardship or neglect of other responsibilities whats the BFD? I think shes a keeper... I would say that a logical statement about the money offset of selling the truck, that its not going to get it the way, and how good of a deal it was is best. Be sure to point out that you seriously weighed her thoughts on it. At least for me, its better to own this type of thing right away then have the added trouble for having hidden it.

There are, er, " Some Significant Differences" between a Prenuptial Woman and a Post Nuptial Woman. :D

m

Raze
Raze SuperDork
7/11/12 6:16 a.m.

Of all the arguments and points I've made for buying silly cars, the one that seems to win my wife over is simply: "Life's too short to drive boring cars"...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GcZuvLaSzPzhZ8UeVLOYRbLx49wWwDyzjXUR1cpZTwouWYkqKRETytLsl65cumxG