Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/28/22 4:59 p.m.

Hello All,

Does anyone have experience with mounting a rear view mirror to the dash in a removable way? Such as with a removable adhesive? How were the results? I need to lower the position of my rear view mirror and I'd like to avoid removing and bonding the windshield bracket to a lower spot or drilling holes in the dash. Alternatively is there a good recommendation for a mirror that will attach to the stock windshield mount that will hang down lower than standard?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/28/22 5:06 p.m.
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/28/22 5:10 p.m.

I'd just look into solutions for cell phone holders...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/28/22 5:21 p.m.

One of the coolest features I liked about the early Datsun Roadsters was the dashboard mounted mirror.  It was really cool.  

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/28/22 9:17 p.m.

I've driven a couple of cars with dash mounted mirrors and while they were cool looking and excellent for admiring the shoulders of myself and my passenger they were not great for seeing what was happeng behind the car.

How about using a mirror that glues to the windshield?

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/31/22 1:56 p.m.

Thanks all for the comments, I decided to simply chop the stalk on my existing mirror and add an extension. However as many of you probably know (I didn't) there is a spring inside the mirror stalk that holds pressure on the ball joints on either side. The result was an unfortunately butchered original mirror as I cut the spring in half when cutting the stalk. My solution to salvage the mirror and improve the rear visibility is bellow:

The rear visibility is greatly improved, however now the mirror is in the way of seeing curbs, cars, etc in the drivers periphery. The design isn't a total loss though as the mirror can be pivoted to the side to return to the original height. I'll need to give it some additional testing before deciding how to proceed.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/31/22 1:57 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I have wanted one of these to try out for awhile, however I think I would have to mount it too low on the windshield for it to be useful.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Reader
1/31/22 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Did you find that your view out of the windshield was impaired on the Datsun?

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Dork
7/7/24 7:25 p.m.

Well,

The saga continues to try to improve visibility out of this car. Here is the latest attempt:

This actually works pretty well. Although there is far less detail in the image, and the image is very zoomed out. A monitor or camera that don't come from a $35 kit might solve that though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/7/24 8:29 p.m.

I tried that method with a kit car using a reversing camera. It wasn't successful overall, it didn't work under a lot of lighting conditions. That was a few years back.

A coworker is using a camera for a rear view mirror on his Vanagon because he's piled so much cool stuff on the rear hatch that he can't see out the window anymore :)  He's got one of the "smart mirrors" from Wolfbox (available through Amazon). It basically has a screen that attaches to your rear view and he's been very happy with it overall. I've actually considered mounting one in my truck for when I'm towing the big race trailer and putting a camera on the back of the trailer. They start at about $100.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/7/24 10:01 p.m.

I'm confused why the need to lower the mirror in the first place? Is the view to the rear being cut by the roof line? I have my students position the rearview mirror to see as much of the rear window as possible with only a slight or no tilt of the head. Any lower and the rear headrests get in the way. What car is this?

Shavarsh
Shavarsh Dork
7/9/24 3:42 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

This is a Ford Pinto, even stock the rearview was cut off by the roof line.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U5uMsK69PhRebLdvbkVxWd8fKU5ucLXgVaR4RGAmtsBNOsKUN8ucAVa7C3iQvAQV