carguy123
carguy123 Dork
2/21/09 3:22 p.m.

Snowy outside? And here I was just admiring the wildflowers which were starting to bloom. It's freezing here too - bout 50 with a breeze that cuts right thru your Tshirt.

I was just reading the write ups on those cars too. Is that the one that they said was a first gen EVO?

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
2/21/09 3:55 p.m.

What would be the advantage of the Mirage over a Talon/Laser/Eclipse chassis? Is the Mirage lighter?

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/21/09 7:54 p.m.

I don't think the Mirage is lighter than an Eclipse. It is a bit longer. VR-4s are way cool though. GRM did an article a while back on them.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
2/21/09 10:14 p.m.

mirage? do you mean galant? the mirage seems quite a bit smaller to me.

William
William None
2/21/09 10:41 p.m.

I cant speak for knowledge of the work that went into Dave's awd mirage...

...but i do know how much work went into Kevin's AWD Tracer. If you want intriguing, check out the list of Fords that the componets came from to make it a first-time awd vehicle.

good build blog http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123708939

kcbhiw
kcbhiw Reader
2/21/09 11:08 p.m.

Haha, thanks Wil. Though there is something to be said about the strength of the Mitsu gearbox and engine. David's car was FAST!

Josh
Josh Reader
2/22/09 12:04 a.m.

A quick google yields:

3rd Gen Mirage Curb Weight: 2020 lb. 4th Gen Mirage Curb Weight: 2090 lb.

1st Gen Eclipse GSX Curb Weight: 3145 lb.

Yeah, I think the mirage might end up a little lighter :).

Appleseed
Appleseed Reader
2/22/09 2:08 a.m.

Woops! Total brain fart.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/09 6:28 a.m.

David is a regular at nearly every Detroit region SCCA event, including rallycross. He is a nice guy and will talk up his car any time.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/23/09 10:14 a.m.

David's car was maybe my favorite at this year's challenge. It was an incredible sleeper, and even had a complete interior. (he takes his kids to school in it!) The car handled extremely well, and was a joy on the autocross course. (according to the guys lucky enough to drive it)

IIRC there was quite a bit of work involved in getting the rear suspension/ subframe to mount to the Mirage. The finished package looked like it came from the factory, but there was quite a bit of fabrication and massaging involved.

And yes, the Tracer was incredible as well!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/23/09 11:49 a.m.
John Brown said: David is a regular at nearly every Detroit region SCCA event, including rallycross. He is a nice guy and will talk up his car any time.

wait just a Tick. I detroit rallycross... what does he run?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/09 12:59 p.m.

He was running the day WE were in Fowlertucky, the baconator must have clogged your noodle.

He runs his car in modified / 4wd and it looks completely unassuming. I remembered the car from the previous challenge coverage and talked to him a few minutes. He was parked between you and the Illuminati tent.

davbro
davbro
2/25/09 11:20 p.m.

Hey guys, I am honored to have a thread started about my car. Wish I had found it b4. I do have a build log on cardomain (not as detailed as Kevin's but it should answer some basic questions). It is truly a fun car. It is probably around 2400 lbs, but I have not weighed it since the conversion. The Mirage was 1900 lbs b4 the project...the donor Talon was almost 3100 lbs. As it was said earlier I do rallycross, autocross, drag and I still drive it on the street. Its funny, the only problem with it on the street is that I keep running out of gas...5 gallon fuel cell + no fuel gauge + no odometer = phone call to AAA of a friend...and the fuel economy rapidly changes with boost.

davbro
davbro New Reader
2/25/09 11:27 p.m.

Here is my cardomain site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2616542 I also have some videos of my friend Anthony HooSang (actually thats him in his EVO RS on page 95 in the April GRM issue) the Mirage in the snow. I will post as soon as I figure out how

davbro
davbro New Reader
2/26/09 12:28 a.m.

A bunch of pictures (including my GRM $2008 pics) http://picasaweb.google.com/MaroonRacing

davbro
davbro New Reader
2/26/09 12:54 a.m.

Anthony HooSang at a RallyCross...this guy is crazy...having way too much fun. Thanks to this video I finally figured out the source of those mysterious dents on the fender (that noise you hear is the wheel at full lock and full bump hitting the fender) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9j17tIQpIw

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tu5F6r54l6SiqY6K2xVmqEsDYHluFRSE8Q9FOpHhAf7VemjG4y7rTP88YFIA6xY9