1 2 3
codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/10/22 11:25 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Isn't this about performance on big race tracks?  Low end/midrange torque is much less important there than, say, autox.

Area under the curve matters everywhere.

Area under the curve only matters to the extent that you're using that part of the curve.  If you have an 8000 RPM motor and you ever drop below 4000 on a race track then you have the gearing totally screwed up.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/11/22 12:34 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

This is true, I know K20's and K24's can work in that range, does a B20 VTEC work in that same range? My memory of tuned B series motors is of them not waking up till nearly 6k.

blacksheep
blacksheep New Reader
4/11/22 1:07 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

This is true, I know K20's and K24's can work in that range, does a B20 VTEC work in that same range? My memory of tuned B series motors is of them not waking up till nearly 6k.

I have an ITR transmission, the ratios are short and close enough to keep the motor on the cam pretty much everywhere. Could be an issue for people running LS or CRV transmissions though!

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
4/11/22 2:00 p.m.

B20s have a series of reliability problems that stem from the increase in displacement/decrease in wall thickness. Spinning a B20 over 8k is going to cause the resonance that cracks sleeves (it's not boost and it's not horsepower it's the block ringing like a tuning fork) Sleeves and a Fluidampener or similar do make for a nice bandaid 

12.5:1 or so compression B18 with cams and head work to match will make 200-230whp. Your powerband is 4500-10,000rpm. Find Eyndyne's old site for oiling system tricks. 

JRSC kits are 20 years old and based on eighty year old tech that doesn't work all that well on the small scale. Cool novelty but not if you're trying to go fast. 

If you can live with 250hp the most basic GT28 based turbo kit will get you there with near OE levels of reliability 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/13/22 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

While that's likely true, he wants to keep it streetable.  Turbo's offer a have your cake and eat it too approach. Mild off boost, wild on.  
     Yes a lot of kits to keep prices marketable are under engineered.  I don't know which  are and which aren't. 
  Nor do I know if he has the discipline required to get longevity  out of  a kit.   

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4byfq8Xc64EXXMxcFFNMh7dFIPsbJDHUBmVIT8byQRrEwoUpEa8BNw6jPaA45ZFz