OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/26/23 10:50 a.m.

Alternate idea: shortest ramp possible and an ARC to prevent high centering  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/26/23 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Oops. You're right.  I switched to grade percentage rather than degree. My bad. 

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
12/26/23 11:03 a.m.

It's more than I'd like to spend but I did find someone selling car dealership display ramps for $800.  They are 26' long but separate into two pieces.  They are 36" high.

Other option is to make a series of" steps" using sections of 2x8 and plywood on top.  For example, two 5' lengths of 2x8 side by side and covered in plywood.  Make four of them for each side?  Use pins to secure them together? 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/26/23 11:07 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Did your truck come with a ramp?

If so, it would probably be less money that that to cut it in half lengthwise. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/23 11:24 a.m.

I like you too much to see you hurt.  I've felt sketchy jacking up a 3000lb vehicle 12 inches.  No way would I try to jack up a 10,000lb truck 15 inches.  Just a little uneven ground and I'd be afraid of it tipping over.  As far as ramps I wouldn't make my own in any length over 5 feet.  Cut the factory one in half and you loose the reinforcing edge on one side.  

Stampie said:

With a wheelbase of 256 inches by raising the front wheels 8 inches you only change the angle 1.79 degrees.  That 1.79 degrees lowers the rear attachment point by 3.56 inches.  Let's round off to the attachment point height being 31.5 inches tall.  While looking at things last night the problem isn't the angle of approach.  It's the high center.  The high center angle for a Miata is 11.52 degrees.  Add our tilt of 1.79 degrees and we get a ramp angle of 13.31 degrees.  That ramp angle with a attachment point height of 31.5 inches gives us ramps 137 inches  long.  

Here's some 12 foot ramps that'll do a Miata.  Note that they are 56lbs per ramp.  That's a PITA to move but it's doable.

https://www.hdramps.com/automotive/ramps/12-foot/p/02-12-144-06-s/

By only raising 8 inches you'll be much safer.  I wanna see you around to hear more adventures.  Plus I love your automotive ADHD.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
12/26/23 11:33 a.m.

Actually, cutting the ramp in half lengthwise is not a bad DIY project. 

Cut it with a skillsaw or Sawzall, then add a piece of angle to replace the missing 2 edges. Then screw or bolt the deck to the angles. No welding or fabrication. 

12/26/23 11:36 a.m.

Unfortunately my truck didn't come with the factory ramps. 

At no point in time will I ever be under the truck or car during any of this.  I'm an idiot, but not that dumb laugh.  I'll be using a winch with a remote. Of course I don't want any property damage, but personal safety is far more important 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
12/26/23 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

When I had the freightliner ( 13K empty) I would lift the rear a foot, and the front 1 1/2 feet. VERY sketchy. NO ONE should attempt, except on a pro lift!!! 
Dropped it a couple of times, getting it up there. Bent stuff, too.  Disclaimer, it was always triple checked for stability before going under. Just VERY scary getting it there!!!

12/26/23 12:42 p.m.

Safe to assume this is a no go??  I do live in Georgia after all... 

OHSCrifle
12/26/23 12:48 p.m.

You should impulse buy a ramp truck instead. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
12/26/23 1:25 p.m.

Just an idea ,

Looking at the original picture of your truck , are you ever planning on putting 2 cars on this truck ? 

or adding a sleeper cab ?

It just seems you have an extra 6 feet plus  behind the wheel well "bump"  that you will never use if its only for one car,

Also you could put a used hydraulic lift gate  6 ft tall or  so  and with the gate down  put the 12 ft ramps  on the back , 

many lift gates do down more than 90 degrees 

now you have a lift to use for other things :)

12/26/23 2:20 p.m.

Most of the time, no, I have no plans for two cars. It's primary use is for Xtreme Xperience events within 10 hours of my house. Often the track has HPDE days after we leave, so we would stay an extra few days and run.  During Xtreme events we will use it as a hospitality area for staff. Folding chairs, drinks, snacks. I plan to use the front couple of feet for a tool chest or storage box.  In theory, I might be able to fit the Formula on it along with another car. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/26/23 2:32 p.m.

That body work looks vaguely familiar to me.

2/8/24 2:31 p.m.

I have yet to put a car up there, but here's what it looks like with rig in tow. Tows like a dream.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/8/24 2:55 p.m.

I love the set up.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/8/24 3:39 p.m.

That's great. 

I've always been super happy towing with those (but I've never driven one with no box!)

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
2/8/24 10:46 p.m.

She's loooooooong, but that's a cool looking rig!

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
2/10/24 10:38 p.m.

Where are you located? There is a set of 16' car ramps on marketplace in St. Augustine, FL for $500. 

NMNA

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1095737451456715/

OHSCrifle
2/12/24 7:39 p.m.
Motojunky said:

Where are you located? There is a set of 16' car ramps on marketplace in St. Augustine, FL for $500. 

NMNA

This looks like a good solution. And actually made for the purpose you are seeking. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/12/24 8:07 p.m.
Motojunky said:

NMNA

Looks like the manufacturer (melcher) has instructions for resurfacing right on their sight. Cool!

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
2/13/24 12:16 a.m.

In reply to Motojunky :

Killer deal on some long ramps

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SHTxYFH0NbIaGw67Pu8eS5YrSz5SNPmM23WCwwgE0uPmfo7NSaORALxKFPq1XYl4