1 2
GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/7/19 9:34 p.m.

Porsche is very good at supporting their older cars. Meanwhile I was shocked at how many 3rd Gen Camaro OEM parts were already NLA in 1996. Those crumbly interior trim pieces that they probably could have sold a million of in perpetuity were already gone.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/19 12:01 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Land Rover does not make mistakes!?!? I can understand that you might've been stunned at this statement, but the proper response was 5 solid minutes of laughter.

I just want to point out that the day-of-posting thumbs-up count as I read this is 30, which is the highest I think I've seen on anything in a while, maybe ever. I wish LR could learn something from that.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/19 5:52 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

Porsche is very good at supporting their older cars. Meanwhile I was shocked at how many 3rd Gen Camaro OEM parts were already NLA in 1996. Those crumbly interior trim pieces that they probably could have sold a million of in perpetuity were already gone.

One of the biggest headaches I have at work right now is finding parts for an '02 Camaro.  We're scavenging eBay for used parts, new is long gone and the cars aren't in junkyards anymore.

(Anybody got a steering shaft for an LS1 F-body?)

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/8/19 6:28 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

And how many models of Porsche were made back then compared to GM? Even with as much parts bin engineering as GM used back then it would be millions of warehouse square feet to store throwaway vehicle parts.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/8/19 6:31 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Time to make one with the myriad of aftermarket joints and shafts.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/8/19 6:34 a.m.
GCrites80s said:

That's because Porsche are still the same as they were 30 years ago, just 2 inches wider and 5 longer.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
1/8/19 6:53 a.m.

I swear if this happened to my wife, the dealership would end up giving us two free keys, lifetime oil changes and a $250 gift certificate.

If it happened to me and she didn’t jump in and take over, I’d be in prison.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
1/8/19 8:36 a.m.
Knurled. said:
GCrites80s said:

One of the biggest headaches I have at work right now is finding parts for an '02 Camaro.  We're scavenging eBay for used parts, new is long gone and the cars aren't in junkyards anymore.

Yep, still got the parts '02 Trans Am I'm harvesting from for my '88 Camaro swap.  I'll try to get some photos for you tonight or tomorrow.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/19 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

I was joking, but if you do have one, then that is awesome.  LT1 steerinf shafts clock the steering column wrong and you cannot reposition the wheel due to the way the horn is wired.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/19 5:23 p.m.

I think manufacturers must have a hard time cutting keys after the fact.  I had my luggage stolen in South America (note to self: never sleep in an airport) and in it were the keys to my C5Z.  I went to my not so friendly local a$$hole Chevy dealer and after proving I owned the car (had to produce a clear title) they sent the VIN off to the mothership and a few weeks later a new key arrived.  Now, this new key works fine when turned one direction, but is very notchy and only works some of the time if turned the other way.  They’re supposed to be cut the same on both sides so it won’t matter which way you insert it.  This is also when I learned that at some point the prior owner had re keyed the door.  Not GM’s fault.  I had been supplied 2 keys (one for the door and one for the ignition) and being old-school I thought that’s how it worked.  I don’t know exactly when GM changed it to one key for all.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
1/8/19 7:29 p.m.
Knurled. said:

In reply to Flynlow :

I was joking, but if you do have one, then that is awesome.  LT1 steerinf shafts clock the steering column wrong and you cannot reposition the wheel due to the way the horn is wired.

PM sent.  If this works I am officially a better parts supplier than Land Rover.  

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/19 7:52 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

I called the service guy (department head) who told me that it was highly unlikely as Land Rover does not make mistakes.

Towing for Land Rover Roadside Assistance paid for much of my wedding.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
1/9/19 1:25 p.m.
DWNSHFT said:

That reminds me of an old, likely apocryphal, story about Rolls Royces, to which the punch line was, "Rolls Royces never break down."

A Rolls Royce does not break down.  It fails to proceed.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/19 1:30 p.m.
Toebra said:
DWNSHFT said:

That reminds me of an old, likely apocryphal, story about Rolls Royces, to which the punch line was, "Rolls Royces never break down."

A Rolls Royce does not break down.  It fails to proceed.

No no, it decides to rest cheeky

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/9/19 3:14 p.m.

As long as the power remains "Sufficient" it is fine.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
1/9/19 3:42 p.m.

I believe according to rolls Royce this is when your chauffeur i supposed to start pushing.

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
1/11/19 9:01 p.m.

I have to say that it all comes down to the dealership and it's management. I have worked at Wilde Lexus for 10 years and they are amazing. We share our service department with Jaguar and Land Rover and it would be damn near impossible to find an unhappy customer of any of our brands. We take care of our customers unbelievably well.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/19 1:12 a.m.

I got a very brief email from the service manager today asking for my address so they can mail a check. No apology or admission of guilt and the GM never did return my polite email either, but whatever. I will never set foot in the place again, and point them out as a shining example of how not to treat a customer.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/19 9:32 a.m.

you do not fill me with hope. I only have one key for my disco, I would like a second just in case.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/12/19 11:18 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

My local locksmith told me while fixing the problematic one that he could have sold me a new one that would have worked. I had taken an eBay dodge Ram key to him previously and he couldn't help me, but he said the generic ones he bought were programmable. But if you loose the one key you have you will be faced with a tow to the dealership and be at their mercy so I would recommend dealing with it now and not later. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2xmCCeVuy1P6CEEknelvCGL5ijNKhYPvexAiqNE6NfM2vdpEJHa2obrQDRhn6617