1 2 3
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/17/14 8:36 a.m.

Man...I guess I just am not in the same demographic as the rest of the GRMership. I Think the Dart ads are funny, I like both of those actors, and find that awkward and dry humor quite comical. I like the Fit commercials because I think theyre written well, and the silliness is clever IMHO. And the Fiat ads are also super hilarious...the music is catchy, and relevant, and I always find myself chuckling at one where a Fiat comes and bops some skaterguy on the head as hes dropping in on the halfpipe and he falls down.

I often laugh at other peoples misfortune...so sue me

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
9/17/14 8:39 a.m.

You guys watch commercials?

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/17/14 8:55 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: You guys watch commercials?

Sure. How else would we know what to buy...??

dinger
dinger Reader
9/17/14 9:23 a.m.

None of them are as bad as the one with Matthew Mcconawhoever driving around somebody's new wannabe SUV crossover type thing and driveling on something about the past....

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
9/17/14 10:34 a.m.

Agreed, I saw the Matt Maconackonay commercial the other night with my wife, we both looked at each other, and went "WTF"? I had just recommend to my father that he look at a Lincoln (parents are new car shopping) and that ad kindof made me want to tell them to stick with the Caddy they've been considering.

We were confused by the Dart "Don't touch This" commercial, but not angry at it.

I also hate the "here's a bunch of tech that makes it so your idiot self can't crash this car" ads. Including the one highlighting rear cameras that stop your giant hulking SUV before it plows over the oblivious neighbor kid.

Perhaps I would hate modern advertisement less if I actually liked modern cars...

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
9/17/14 10:50 a.m.

I suppose I should be glad that I don't think I've ever seen a Dart commercial. I've seen some really dumb Fiat 500 ones. Don't recall the Infiniti one, but there was a Mercedes on like not too long ago I think. They essentially say, "If you are a terrible driver and can't be bothered to pay attention when you drive, then we have the car for you."

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
9/17/14 10:50 a.m.

Then we have Camry's and Altima's making like race cars and giving thrill rides. ?

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
9/17/14 11:02 a.m.

"Don't touch my Dodge Dart". Is that like "Don't touch my monkey"?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
9/17/14 11:09 a.m.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/17/14 12:03 p.m.

I wish Honda would change it's advertising agency. First the horrible "today the world is pretty sad" commercials, and now the hipster smugly selling the Fit. I grab the remote whenever either comes on.

Come to think of it, I can't recall any current car commercials that are worthwhile. The Dukes Autotrader ads are great---- but that's not selling cars, it's selling selling cars.

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer Reader
9/17/14 12:30 p.m.

I prefer the goofy ads over the idiot driver being saved by the cars ads.

Wanderer
Wanderer New Reader
9/17/14 12:36 p.m.

I don't even watch TV.

/hipster1up

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/17/14 12:40 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: The Dukes Autotrader ads are great---- but that's not selling cars, it's selling selling cars.

+1

I love those ads, but most people my age would. Clever marketing.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/17/14 12:50 p.m.
Wanderer wrote:
I don't even watch TV. /hipster1up

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/17/14 12:51 p.m.
Wanderer wrote:

No television related discussion can make it past the second page without people bragging about how cool they are because they don't watch TV.

Wanderer
Wanderer New Reader
9/17/14 1:48 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
No television related discussion can make it past the second page without people bragging about how cool they are because they don't watch TV.

That was the point.

Vintage sarcasm meters here on GRM. Way out of cal.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
9/17/14 2:03 p.m.

I definitely watch TV...hell, I wish I could watch more. Most days I get less than 30 minutes. I made it a point to sit down for about 2 hours on Sunday to watch football. It felt oooohhhh so good.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
9/17/14 4:13 p.m.

I also like the Dart ads. Much better than trying to sell me a car because it parallel parks itself, something I haven't done in the 20 years since my driver's test. If that's all you can brag on about the car, your car sucks.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
9/18/14 6:46 a.m.

We watch TV. And wish we watched less. The last two nights we sat down to dinner and I made it a point to leave the radio on, and the TV off. We actually had gasp a conversation!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/18/14 7:12 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Thank you for that! I let out an audible sigh when I saw that infinity ad making my wife in the other room ask me what was wrong. NO ONE should need all that electronic crap to keep from killing other drivers.

If you can't drive because you're too distracted then quit your job or stay off the berkeleying roads

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
9/18/14 7:29 a.m.
Wanderer wrote:

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
9/18/14 7:47 a.m.

I don't have a problem with these ads - they're somewhat amusing and definitely original.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/18/14 8:19 a.m.

I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more, and believe me, I don't like to be the P.C police or anything or the guy who has a problem with everything thing, but I do have a problem with this... I find it a bit offensive that you use terms like “Dart" and "television" for your little descriptions or whatever in the discussions. I myself do not make marketing references, but I feel sensitivity for people who do, as I am a student living among them, and my Girlfriend is pursuing her masters in the field.

These terms although I'm pretty sure are not even real words, are obviously meant to resemble the words used to describe people with enviable taste and no car payments, and it appears that they are used on these boards in a joking sense which, as I view it, makes light of people who spend a disproportionate amount of time staring at images coming out of a magic box.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
9/18/14 8:34 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

UM WUT? (No offense intended)

Edit: nvrmnd!

trigun7469
trigun7469 HalfDork
9/18/14 10:23 a.m.

I think the lincoln commercials are worse..."I drive a Lincoln because I am in this commercial."

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w6Pi0vsq3XSX6NhOLzhX1ZDVvXXnZN7toBU4d8kVU9mOrxQssVFLp6zTK40zhoHo