1 2
dsycks
dsycks Reader
2/1/11 4:14 p.m.

Please someone find me a FRC for 10k... please!

PS- Miata.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
2/1/11 4:17 p.m.

Obviously the ideal car for you is an old British car. They have plenty of power and no rattles.

wcelliot
wcelliot HalfDork
2/1/11 4:20 p.m.

dsycks beat me to it... I'd jump on a decent FRC for ~$10k without so much as a hestitation. First Corvette I sincerely enjoyed driving...

They tend to start at twice that around here... but all seem to be low mileage and car-show clean. Plenty of ~$10k C5's around though...

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
2/1/11 7:13 p.m.

if i could find a c5 for 10k in nor cal that was a runner i would stretch my budget to buy it.

dsycks
dsycks Reader
2/2/11 7:59 a.m.

Yeah... I have trouble finding C5 sticks for 10k let alone an FRC. They are priced close to full on early ZO6s around here as everyone seems to feel they are (can't say they are not either).

Is there a decent light weight roof plug option for the open roof that would make a non FRC palatable? I've never really cared enough to look but as prices drop on the cars the performance potential makes them seem to be highly attractive options!

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
2/2/11 8:35 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: personally I've found the C4 to be extremely easy to work on. It's all laid out there for you. It's still "old school" enough that it doesn't require a degree in mechanical and electrical engineering to work on. Parts aren't that bad to purchase and if you do the work yourself, the repairs are fairly cheap. I've yet to see a BMW that I'd put the money into. Parts cost more, and it's not uncommon to replace theentire suspension and cooling systems. But then again, I'm biased. I'm not a BMW humper, don't see the appeal personally.

Fair enough, but allow me to counterpoint: I've had a number of E30's now, and a C4. The E30's were much MUCH easier to work on, mechanically and electronically. You DON'T need a degree in anything to work on E30 era BMW's. Parts were generally cheaper on the E30 than the C4, and consumables were much cheaper. A C4 is as likely to need suspension and cooling system work as an E30, which were built before the BMW "poor cooling system era". In truth, overall I enjoyed the E30 experience more, outside of auto-xing (where the vette in fact was a riot). I couldn't get really my head around the interior/build quality of the car, and the roads had to be pretty smooth to enjoy driving the Vette. I might have felt differently if I bought a "creampuff" but then, a creampuff C4 is more money than a creampuff E30. The C4 DID handle extremely well, and the sound and power of the LT1 was fun. The removable roof was also great, but YMMV.

The E30 won over because it was at least as fun to drive on twisty roads (more tossable than the vette, more fun to drive the slow car fast etc), and was infinitely more practical to me.

steelynorm
steelynorm New Reader
2/2/11 12:02 p.m.

kind of leaning toward a e30 now just because this one is so clean, if i dont like it i am sure i can get my money out of it i will post some pics if I pull the trigger this weekend.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9CSZV32Wl8DuiqftKloJdZv6vphqyD8wr1i3gwh2Vm3Uq0MJNc5S3cu6eyn95gYo