1 2
Saron81
Saron81 Reader
9/28/19 7:48 a.m.

Not very helpful... but we had one in the shop a few years ago, and I can easily pick up the short block by myself... and I’m not a big guy. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/19 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

engine plus trans wet weights less than 250lbs iirc

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/19 12:12 p.m.

I took a semi-serious look at the 1.0eb as a swap candidate for my x1/9. Alas, I did not want to turn that car into a long term keeper, so my 1.0eb thoughts were shelved.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/28/19 12:32 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to Saron81 :

I believe that you are wrong. The 1.0 is an iron block motor, and it makes enough power that the thing would require a regular transmission. If you can prove otherwise, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I doubt that it'd be any less than a combined 325 or so.

MrChaos
9/28/19 4:28 p.m.
Kreb said:
MrChaos said:

In reply to Saron81 :

I believe that you are wrong. The 1.0 is an iron block motor, and it makes enough power that the thing would require a regular transmission. If you can prove otherwise, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I doubt that it'd be any less than a combined 325 or so.

sorry just looked the engine alone weighs 215lbs wet 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/28/19 6:59 p.m.

Ford dealers have vehicles in stock with that engine, maybe they will let you measure.

what is that small suv that looks like a Fiesta called ?    They have the 1.0.

MrChaos
9/28/19 7:08 p.m.
iceracer said:

Ford dealers have vehicles in stock with that engine, maybe they will let you measure.

what is that small suv that looks like a Fiesta called ?    They have the 1.0.

ecosport

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/29/19 11:24 a.m.

That's it.

Shiver
Shiver New Reader
8/12/24 5:08 p.m.

The Ford 1.5 dragon motor has more power and is aluminum so lighter and already makes 200hp and 203lbft torque. It's the same size block as the 1.0 a a4 paper, but the 1.0 is iron.  If the 2.0 can bolt to a t5 then the smaller 1.5 dragon 3 cylinder Ecoboost motor can as well.  I'm very excited to see if it's really true the 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 are all the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing.

I have read Ford has a race tune for the 1.5 that deletes everything but the very basics and allows for upping the power past stock.

I'd love to hear from others if they are on the same path as me.

Thanks to the everyone that contributed to this.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/24 6:25 p.m.

In reply to Shiver :

As far as I can tell, the three cylinder engines share a bellhousing with nothing.  The 1.6 Ecoboost also appears to share nothing with any engine that Ford made as a 2 liter, be it Duratec or any other.

The only 2.0 that can bolt to a T5 is an old Pinto engine, unless you go with an aftermarket bellhousing.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
8/12/24 10:59 p.m.

So the 1.6 is completely different from the Mazda derived MZR/Duratec 2.0? Good to know.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/24 11:04 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

It's VERY much a different engine.  It is a lot smaller, has a timing belt, and the architecture predates the Duratec/MZR engine by almost a decade.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/12/24 11:33 p.m.

In reply to Shiver :

Keep us posted for sure. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QL9jqc0Q0fo8U2Ko4JZrVPROs3SGcucWjHQn8Y9ba3u6Rc0Zr5VMGyIZBJIsguQN