1 2
RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
7/17/09 9:47 a.m.

I got the DeWalt 18v 1/2 one...it rocks zips off wheels in a snap. My harbor freight one...not so much, and I dropped it and it stopped workign...so now I got 2 battieries with nothing for it to go to.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
7/17/09 9:56 a.m.
docwyte wrote: So I got the Northern Tool one from Pep Boys, as apparently they no longer carry the GoodYear one. It was 24v rated to 240 ft lbs. Without a full charge it couldn't take off the lug nuts torqued to 85 ft lbs. I returned it. So, what do you guys recommend instead? Does the Harbor Freight one work? It'll take off lug nuts torqued to 85 ft lbs even without a full battery charge? Or do I need to spend big bucks on Snap On or something...

I have that one as well... and was also quite irked it can't remove the lug bolts on a MINI... 240 ft lbs my ass...

I had a discussion about this with a mechanic friend just last week... he also concurred that despite the gawd-awful price, the Snap On one is the only cordless impact worth spending money on after trying a Milwalkee (well over $300 MSRP)... However, it's still over $500.. ouch.

I'm hoping the 18V DeWalt (300 ft lb rated version) could suffice for my limited needs... (I already have a very good pneumatic for the shop) since I already have some other 18V DeWalt tools and batteries. I few guys in our region have cordless impacts at the local auto-x. I'll have to make a point of running around to get opinions. Right now, I have to break bolts loose by hand and then spin them off with the gun.

wbjones
wbjones New Reader
7/17/09 2:01 p.m.

as I said earlier the Great Northern Tool has never let me down... will remove and remount all 4 tires (Integra and CRX)as many as 4 times before the battery runs down...( the driver came with 2 bat. ) and yes I do torque by hand after tightening ....

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
7/17/09 2:06 p.m.
car39 wrote: he went back to torquing by hand after tightening by technology.

should have been doing that all along.

i'm pretty happy w/ my little (~80 lb-ft) craftsman cordless impact. i got it to cut down on time changing wheels and doing suspension work. i break lug nuts loose by hand and torque by hand anyway. i actually prefer the little one for wheels b/c i know i won't over-torque the lugs w/ it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OSDY1zlNGVoQ8R32eBUGdXi8fyMkCBMhlVY4vW41al3kAzUELm8iJjS6c0M0iN10