Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
3/1/23 11:02 a.m.

I'm looking at a new-to-me 2016 Tundra that looks pretty nice and was wondering if any current Tundra owners could provide some help/feedback.

1 - The truck comes with a pretty slick aftermarket front bumper that extends about 4" from the grille.  Is there anyone with a 2014-2020 Tundra with a stock front bumper that could grab that same measurement for me (grille to front of bumper)?  The plow frame I'd want to put on it looks like it will work with the aftermarket bumper, but trying to figure out if the plow itself will clear when attached.

2 - I'm a little twitchy about going from a full-sized 8' bed to a shorty 5.5' bed.  I'm not hauling 4x8 sheets, but there are definitely a few times per  year where I will take full advantage of the long bed...not sure if there's a question here, more just looking for experience/regrets. 

3 - Anything good/bad/ugly about these?  I have a 2014 F-350 diesel dually that will be sticking around as primary tow pig, but this might be pressed into service if that goes down.  There's a chance I'd be right at max towing capacity (9,800#) with the enclosed trailer, car, spares, etc.

Thanks!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
3/1/23 11:39 a.m.

1 and 2, I have a 2011 Tundra and it has a flatbed on it so I guess that's two strikes for me.

3- I honestly think mine (5.7) tows just as well as the GMT800 2500HD it replaced, although it definitely feels more carlike in the suspension and transmission department so I'd be a little worried about pulling a massive enclosed trailer with it.  It pulls my open deck trailer with a car on it beautifully.

I did have some issues right when I got it last year with air pump codes and such, but there are solutions for all the common things on these and they all seem to be pretty minor.  I'm hoping to have it for a long time.

No photo description available.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/1/23 1:38 p.m.

They are not easy to work on. Water pumps fail occasionally. Cost to fix is $1-1.5k. 
Mine also had the coolant valley cover leak and require re-sealing. $1.8k. 
Exhaust manifold needed to be replaced. $1.5k. 
Transmission oil is not diy friendly but cheap enough to have the dealer service it. 
Beyond that, it drives very well. The 5.7 Engine is powerful. 6 speed automatic makes for great towing. Rear suspension is a bit soft which has pros and cons depending how much weight you tow. Mine did not feel very confident towing my 9k toy hauler with an Andersen wdh. 

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer Reader
3/2/23 5:59 a.m.

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y4E92QzyBFA85J7AWYVIVt8wf42noNuJ2GIZQ5T4OrkYJnKWmIZfGmYLCoT6T4Lx