1 2 3 4
pres589
pres589 Dork
2/5/12 4:14 p.m.

I've never touched any of this stuff so what do I know, but MR2 seems the most day to day livable, X1/9 or Lancia Monte Carlo (Scorpion in the USA) seems like the most mod-able and "exotic", 914 doesn't really do it for me.

I've heard of Fiat's indifference to the X1/9, why? What's the story behind this car?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/12 4:28 p.m.

Fiat wanted a replacement for the 850. Their original plans were for a front wheel drive "spider" based on the 128. What they got was a mid-engined exotic with 128 suspension parts. It was too nice to pass up, but not what they really wanted.

And then the dealers in the US used to push the 128 SL over the X... it's the same disease that VWoA has with the scirocco. They think the sporty varient is going to steal sales from the bread and butter cars

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/12 4:46 p.m.

Chrysler 2.2/2.5/2.0/2.4L drivetrains fit in X-1/9s quite well. The fiat axles fit on the inboard cv joints and rest is light fab work.

Result? 3rd gear wheel spin with slicks and a 300hp intercooled 2.2.

BTW, this was on a Challeng budget and was built for the Challenge, but the builder couldn't make the trip.

mad_machine
2/5/12 4:55 p.m.

I always wondered if the 4g63t would fit the X

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
2/5/12 5:04 p.m.

Since both, in stock form, are reasonably equal in pluses and minuses, the deciding factor for me is:

The Fiat is a Fiat. Few know what one is these days, and it doesn't pretend to be anything else.

The Porsche is just a mid engine Volkswagen. It pretends (and most of it's owners) that it is something much more. It isn't. The exhaust note will belie the ugly truth.

Don't be a poseur; drive a Fiat.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/5/12 5:08 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I always wondered if the 4g63t would fit the X

Don't see why not. It's just swapped compared to the Chryco cars, but it's about the same size, more or less.

RCRX19
RCRX19 New Reader
2/5/12 5:13 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

are you talking about Mike G.if so a lot of that cars build was done in my garage. and that car is badass I wish he still had it I drove it once on the street but never had a chance to autox it .although mikes car had about 170hp and spun the tires in 3rd gear.if not Mike who are you talking about?

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
2/5/12 8:33 p.m.

Also someone had a B16 swapped X1/9 too as well as a 2.2 dodge swapped one.... those would be a hoot... I loved mine and they were all stock minus a K&N filter on the Airflow meter

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
2/5/12 8:49 p.m.

Having grown up driving X1/9s (and a Lancia Scorpion), I have to vote for the X1/9... with either an Uno turbo conversion, or a 2000 DOHC conversion, your choice.

plance1
plance1 Dork
2/5/12 10:19 p.m.

never drove the fiat, but had a 914 and it handled great, was fun little car.

mad_machine
2/5/12 11:01 p.m.

what is amazing.. the X can still outhandle most cars on the road today.. on skinny little tyres, 4 wheel strut suspension, and no anti-sway bars.

Who needs traction control when you simply have control?

plance1
plance1 Dork
2/5/12 11:09 p.m.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/porsche/914/1113552.html

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
2/6/12 12:00 a.m.

When the X1/9 was introduced here it was one of two cars that met the new crash standards. The other one was a Volvo.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/12 7:28 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: X1/9 no question. Better looking, better handling and I am pretty sure it rust less.

X1/9: At least it doesn't rust as bad as a 914!

(I agree with you, btw)

Knurled
2/6/12 7:29 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Answer: Yes. Those are some sweet examples. Do like the 914 for subaru compatibility, but I've heard of rotary and k20 X1/9's on the pages of our favorite magazine.

There's a K20 - X1/9 kit in the works. Not sure how much I can say, might have said too much already.

Hold on, got to get the door...

Knurled
2/6/12 7:32 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: The Porsche is just a mid engine Volkswagen.

As opposed to other Porsches, which are just rear- or front-engined Volkswagens.

mad_machine
2/6/12 8:24 a.m.

yes.. but they weren't designed as VWs, use VW engines, and were badged as VWs like they were in Europe. Not even the originaly 924 was badged as a VW.

In Europe, the 914-6 was a VW Porsche

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/6/12 9:11 a.m.

I owned both ('79 and '81 Exxies and '71 914-4), in stock form I give the nod to the Exxie. Both are terribly underpowered but the Exxie is more entertaining. The 914-4 has more interior room but otherwise doesn't edge the X 1/9. The 914-6 tilts the scales the other way but big $$$$$ unless you 'roll your own'.

OBTW: the original Autobianchi A112 (X 1/9 prototype) had a transverse 850 pushrod motor because Fiat didn't want to spill the 128 OHC engine beans. So it originally would have been much slower.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/12 9:33 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Answer: Yes. Those are some sweet examples. Do like the 914 for subaru compatibility, but I've heard of rotary and k20 X1/9's on the pages of our favorite magazine.
There's a K20 - X1/9 kit in the works. Not sure how much I can say, might have said too much already. Hold on, got to get the door...

From MidWest X1/9?

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
2/6/12 9:57 a.m.

Swapped fiat looks like fun

Then again a porsche 914-6 looks like fun too

I've had them both - liked them both. It's been about 25 years ago, but the recollection is that the fiat felt sharper/more precise, but used a lot of cheap plastic inside. The porsche felt like it might forgive a little more and had better quality materials inside. After really wringing out the fiat, one of the strut towers tore and a transmission mount came loose. Easy to fix, but never really had that kind of stuff with the 914.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/6/12 10:05 a.m.

Am I alone in finding the 914 UGLY? Personally, I would sooner drop a 6 and suspension work into a Karmann Ghia.

Then again the only P cars I have any interest in are 911s, Boxters, and Caymens.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
2/6/12 10:10 a.m.

I had a 914, never drove it and sold it still in pieces. I still want one though.

I did drive a well prepared X1/9 at an autocross, and it was a real hoot. I would consider one for sure.

I need a bigger garage, and to quit my job so I have time for all of these things.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/12 10:15 a.m.

From the pictures at the start of the tread, X 1/9.

mad_machine
2/6/12 10:23 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
Knurled wrote:
There's a K20 - X1/9 kit in the works. Not sure how much I can say, might have said too much already. Hold on, got to get the door...
From MidWest X1/9?

And to think.. I know where there is a relatively rust free x too.... hmmm

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
2/6/12 11:44 a.m.
Knurled wrote:

It's a shop that has been building completed ones with K20A2s. Ship your X to them and Bob's your uncle. Not sure how far the kit has come.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uVFmsS5mPpfcv0gSOWO4YglnIwKI1kWPzw7JbTUvql4xzQtMV6q1fZVaWIZiLMAW