Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/17 2:14 p.m.

Let me give you the back story first. A couple of weeks ago I was at Asa's school and his drawing of a Porsche 930 got me talking with another parent about cars. I mentioned that we were about to pick up a BMW 2002 and he said that he had one that had been abandoned on one of his properties. He continued on saying that he'd saved it until he found someone that could use it and if I wanted it we could have it. That's my arguement for freely available to anyone. I just happened to be the one he thought could use it. It's good looking car 20 feet away until you notice that the red respray is on top of cracking bondo. No engine (he thinks it's in a warehouse) but there's lots of little stuff I can use and lots a spares. Floors are pretty gone due to the driver's window being down for years. No title. Does have alloy Konig 14 inch wheels. So free? ... scrap value (what's the going weight per pound?) ... or use the online sell value of $110 at the local you pull it? And finally think of the kid! Do you want to be responsible for wiping the smile off this face?

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
5/26/17 3:29 p.m.

FMV at scrap value? What's the weight of a 2002 shell?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/17 3:30 p.m.

$0. He would have given it to anyone he came across that could use it.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
5/26/17 3:37 p.m.

It's worth what it takes to get Home, those first couple pics are misleading, the rest Make it a freebe

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
5/26/17 3:43 p.m.

Abandoned and no title? That knocks it down a bunch.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/26/17 7:44 p.m.
minivan_racer wrote: FMV at scrap value? What's the weight of a 2002 shell?

Google says the car was 2315 lbs and the engine was about 300 lbs so say an even 2000 lbs? Looking online it seems $0.04 a pound for light steel. That'd be $80.

Anyone else think scrap prices or do y'all agree this qualifies as free to anyone?

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/26/17 8:12 p.m.

There are a number of threads on this one. I still believe a free car to anyone is a free car.

FWIW, In PA you can't junk a car without a title.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
5/26/17 8:15 p.m.

I didn't see all those pics earlier, and yeah you can't junk without a title here either.

Stampie
5/26/17 8:17 p.m.

In reply to wheels777:

Well that seals it. If questioned I'll just say Mr. Nelson said so.

I really just wanted to be clear about it being saved by this guy for someone who would need it. If the circumstances were different like a friend/relative offered me a free vehicle then I'd scrap price it or junkyard value it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/17 6:35 a.m.

Are you allowed to trade stuff off of it if it's free?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/27/17 7:01 a.m.

With scrap prices how they are, junk cars are free again if you can't, or don't want to haul them. It takes nearly as much in energy/gas/time to drag something out of the weeds as you would get for it. The sketchy scrap haulers have gotten jobs again.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/17 7:34 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: Are you allowed to trade stuff off of it if it's free?

Yes you just can't put any sales (recoup) into the budget

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/27/17 7:41 a.m.
wheels777 wrote: There are a number of threads on this one. I still believe a free car to anyone is a free car. FWIW, In PA you can't junk a car without a title.

I think you can if you cut it in half.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/27/17 8:03 a.m.

I left out parts of a $128 Datsun for the scrap pickers. No title - total POS.

Stampie
5/27/17 8:05 a.m.
patgizz wrote:

Yea Asa wasn't happy when I told him that the 11 cents he found in it yesterday wouldn't count. There was also the $5 he found in the storm drain at NordicSaab's storage. I had to explain that since it wasn't in the car it doesn't count as recovery. But the little SoB got me to go in the storm drain while he kept the $5.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
5/27/17 8:14 a.m.

Anyway you look at it it's probably six of one or half a dozen of another. With the rule allowing you to back out value of items you remove from the car as if you sold them, basically put you at zeroing out the car. Thus the value of little spares that you acquired but are not using could be back down of whatever value you put on it effectively zeroing out the car. 0 is 0 in my book but my book don't count

In any event the pictures of how bad of shape it's in clearly documents it is essentially worthless as far as FMV goes.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/27/17 8:20 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
wheels777 wrote: There are a number of threads on this one. I still believe a free car to anyone is a free car. FWIW, In PA you can't junk a car without a title.
I think you can if you cut it in half.

Quarters. And you can't take everything in one day. I am in the process of getting rid of a 74 Nova. BTDT. I usually hit two different yards. One pays more and the bigger chuck goes there. Then the other yard takes dirty stuff (seats, glass,etc) but pays less.

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
5/27/17 10:37 a.m.
Stampie wrote:
patgizz wrote:
Yea Asa wasn't happy when I told him that the 11 cents he found in it yesterday wouldn't count. There was also the $5 he found in the storm drain at NordicSaab's storage. I had to explain that since it wasn't in the car it doesn't count as recovery. But the little SoB got me to go in the storm drain while he kept the $5.

This will Happen again.... tell him next time you'll hold his Ankles while he looks for "Gators" Lol

djsilver
djsilver Reader
5/27/17 10:41 a.m.

Call the local scrap metal place and ask them the rules for scrapping cars. In GA, cars over a certain age(15-20yrs?) don't require a title to scrap out.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
5/30/17 10:43 a.m.

A free car .... is a free car. $0.

A friend of mine had to pay $50 to have his old Rabbit towed away from his apartment complex. (The management wanted it removed.) My thought is that your payment was towing a no-title, rust bucket off of his property. I assume he thanked you at some point.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2b3HyBuqmXcHDhdihmt4PHTyZZxerbHWA1WmqdJQW0S8JF5DHI0kJ5OoYRATf90T