1 2 3
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/14 1:16 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote:
oldtin wrote: For reference - what a daytona coupe sounds like
My god! I've never had that feeling with my pants on before
So you've never heard a strung out 289 before?

Not like that I haven't! Bad thing is I have no change of pants at the office

I remember doing some math on piston speed and figuring the 289 was good for a high-winder (which I wanted for my dream build, but that's for later), but it seems that interweb forum wisdom leans towards the 302 in comparison in the "potential power" department.

Wasn't there a cam manufacturer that was offering the "noise" without the drawbacks? I cant remember their name, but I thought they had a "rough idle" cam that still did ok at speed (but cost just as much as a grind that'd give you rough idle AND the power....)

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/15/14 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

Yeah, Comp sells their Thumpr line of cams. They seem to make decent power and offer a noticeable idle. I really think they'd be a good resource if they money were to come together and the OP decides to start building.

grpb
grpb Reader
12/15/14 1:52 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote: So, is there a way to accomplish this?

Yes. Put in a stock Coyote 5.0 with TiVCT, change the base IN/EX cam timing (at idle only) so the engine runs very poorly (e.g. 'badass' idle), add throttle as required to offset poor combustions and increase idle speed a bit to make sure there's enough oil pressure to actuate the cams. Leave the calibration alone everywhere else so the engine runs properly. Done.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/15/14 3:17 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
yamaha wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote:
oldtin wrote: For reference - what a daytona coupe sounds like
My god! I've never had that feeling with my pants on before
So you've never heard a strung out 289 before?
Not like that I haven't! Bad thing is I have no change of pants at the office I remember doing some math on piston speed and figuring the 289 was good for a high-winder (which I wanted for my dream build, but that's for later), but it seems that interweb forum wisdom leans towards the 302 in comparison in the "potential power" department.

Meh, I've seen and driven a few 289 cars that had enough power to humble most 302 powered things....the original daytona's are 6% smaller than the Factory 5 replicas, so they'll need more than the original 390hp to do similar things. The engine bay is only so large as well due to the suspension design and low slung hood, it'll only fit SBF's....not the modulars/continuations.

I will build a factory five type 65 coupe someday.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
1/18/16 9:39 p.m.

A little over a year later and I haven't gotten any closer

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
1/18/16 11:21 p.m.

Well, if you tak a four banger, you'll get the mpg, and then disconnect a spark plug wire, that'll give you a lumpy idle. Next, slap a turbo AND a supercharger on that crap and get a massive torque band. Finally, get a big bank account and plan on recreating this setup every mile.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HA0cuEuvdH4TT54yylqKbIBkhIr3AsGwUX0bIqabfkSG3GW3bYE3RMXemDkRVtZS