1 2 3
petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/13/13 9:15 p.m.

Stretch Miata?

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
10/13/13 9:22 p.m.
coldaudio wrote: E-350 with 4x4 conversion. My buddy's van we take out wheeling all the time:

So how come the Quigley Fords all look like badass ZAVs with like six-inch lifts, but the Quigley GMs just look like regular vans?

coldaudio
coldaudio New Reader
10/13/13 10:35 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
coldaudio wrote: E-350 with 4x4 conversion. My buddy's van we take out wheeling all the time:
So how come the Quigley Fords all look like badass ZAVs with like six-inch lifts, but the Quigley GMs just look like regular vans?

This was actually done by a local shop here.... 6" lift, 35s, Dana 60s, front locker.

We've seen a few Quigley fords around and they definitely just like look like regular vans.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/13/13 10:36 p.m.

Since Quigley was mentioned, look at this CL find and dream machine.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4118816378.html

To the OP: Just get the van

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/13/13 10:42 p.m.

Take the wife and kids to a dealership that has a van and an SUV. Put them in the van first and then the SUV.

Or... just rent a van for the day and take the family on a day trip, let the wife drive and then ask whether a minivan makes more or less sense over a jacked up station wagan aka SUV.

plance1
plance1 Dork
10/13/13 10:58 p.m.
fanfoy wrote:
Sine_Qua_Non wrote: Ford Flex with Ecoboost
FTFY. The Flex drives like a big car, and with the Ecoboost, it's surprisingly fast. At 6ft, 225lb, I wasn't unconfortable in the third row either.

This guy's got it right. The flex is a great vehicle and I don't know if it was my imagination or not but the dang thing felt quick to me.

Other than that, get yourself a full size van or a new suburban.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/13/13 11:48 p.m.

Was my post too much of a joykill? I really want to know the answer.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
10/14/13 12:22 a.m.

The ones that stand out to me as something the wife would be ok with (drum roll): Flex AMG wagon

I am surprised no one mentioned an Escalade. (Suburban with decorations)

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
10/14/13 12:23 a.m.

I like vans. Especially awd vans

coldaudio wrote:
ShadowSix wrote:
This was actually done by a local shop here.... 6" lift, 35s, Dana 60s, front locker. We've seen a few Quigley fords around and they definitely just like look like regular vans.
vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
10/14/13 12:30 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: Dude, fun is in quotes because my wife said fun. My fun and her fun are not the same. My fun is my LS1 E34 wagon. Her fun is...um...not that. I can't explain, but I figure you guys would have the answer. I know my current 1999 Suburban is not fun. Poor handling, poor acceleration, poor brakes...but it is comfy. Like riding on the highway while on my sofa. And looks like an appliance.
Vigo wrote: Ok, i dont want to moralize too much in a car thread, but if this vehicle is only really going to get used while kids are in it, what kind of fun are you planning on having? About the only kind of car fun id subject young children to would be trail riding and other off-road or closed-course activities. In which case i would recommend a newer, 4wd suburban.
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/14/13 12:42 a.m.

1966 Impala 4-door

When my family came out to visit we loaded mine up with 6-adults (all had seat belts), we had room in the trunk for one weeks worth of luggage, and we drove about 6-hours from Hungary to Venice (and still had room on the bench seats for snack bags).

Reliable as the sunrise, parts are plentiful and cheap, and I still get about 18mpg.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
10/14/13 1:02 a.m.

My Dad had a 1966 Impala (actually two) when I was a kid. I love them!

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
10/14/13 1:32 a.m.
Dude, fun is in quotes because my wife said fun. My fun and her fun are not the same. My fun is my LS1 E34 wagon. Her fun is...um...not that. I can't explain, but I figure you guys would have the answer. I know my current 1999 Suburban is not fun. Poor handling, poor acceleration, poor brakes...but it is comfy. Like riding on the highway while on my sofa. And looks like an appliance.

Ok. In that case, i have no idea what your wife's idea of fun is. But women seem to like the Flex and guys seem to like the idea of an AWD 360hp station wagon so i'm seeing some potential there.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/14/13 5:11 a.m.

Mercedes R-Class?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
10/14/13 5:39 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I have four kids too. You're berkeleyed. Sorry.

I agree with this.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/14/13 5:55 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Since Quigley was mentioned, look at this CL find and dream machine. http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/4118816378.html To the OP: Just get the van

That thing needs a mural of zombies airbrushed on the side!

Josh
Josh SuperDork
10/14/13 7:18 a.m.

I may be biased, but it sounds like a V70R with a third seat would serve you well.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
10/14/13 7:21 a.m.

Family of 6 and no van? I don't get it. Anything that's not a van/minivan or Suburban is not going to work very well for you. Wagons, etc...technically can seat 6, but it'll be 6 unhappy people and no cargo.

I've got 3 kids and couldn't imagine life without our van. Get over the image issue and get what you know your family really needs.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
10/14/13 7:40 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Family of 6 and no van? I don't get it. Anything that's not a van/minivan or Suburban is not going to work very well for you. Wagons, etc...technically can seat 6, but it'll be 6 unhappy people and no cargo. I've got 3 kids and couldn't imagine life without our van. Get over the image issue and get what you know your family really needs.

So few people can get over the image issue. My wifes friend WILL NOT EVER BE SEEN IN A MINI VAN so they bought an Excursion.....for the two kids. So, instead of a minivan they are driving around in a baheemoth that gets 8 mpg and breaks down a few times a year?
Not passing judgement, just saying that i dont get it.

chrispy
chrispy New Reader
10/14/13 7:58 a.m.

I love my MPV (family of 5 but occassionally carry 7) and I was a "no minivan" type of guy. We bought it new 10 years ago and have put 150k+ miles on it with only basic maintenance. The MPV has been a people mover and a stuff mover after I sold my truck. Take out the back seats and it can carry an amazing amount of stuff and you can sleep in it. I've carried 4x8 sheet goods with the back door mostly closed and brought home a full size mattress set too. I recently got a cheap utility trailer and last week hauled home a washer and dryer. You can fit a shifter kart in it, but a 4 cycle kart fits better. We were looking at midsize to large SUVs to replace it but the only thing they offered over a minivan was increased towing capacity.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/14/13 8:19 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: Or for the budget conscious, Volvo wagon, rear jump seat, LS swap.

Have you sat in the rear jump seats of a Volvo wagon recently? I have. Suitable for small children or torture only.

Newer Suburban? Sorry... I'm in the minivan/conversion van group...

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
10/14/13 8:51 a.m.

It really irks me that a few pedophiles could all but ruin the full size van for so many. It's really a dumb concept but I hear the argument all the time.

All I think about is my moto x friends and how they sleep in them at races while keeping one or two dirt bikes and gear locked up in them.

These guys would almost certainly put nice wheels on 'em, nice sounding exhaust, maybe a stout bumper here and there.

Just Google (images) "custom E350 van"

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
10/14/13 9:50 a.m.
turboswede wrote: Take the wife and kids to a dealership that has a van and an SUV. Put them in the van first and then the SUV. Or... just rent a van for the day and take the family on a day trip, let the wife drive and then ask whether a minivan makes more or less sense over a jacked up station wagan aka SUV.
Ian F wrote:
bastomatic wrote: Or for the budget conscious, Volvo wagon, rear jump seat, LS swap.
Have you sat in the rear jump seats of a Volvo wagon recently? I have. Suitable for small children or torture only. Newer Suburban? Sorry... I'm in the minivan/conversion van group...
DrBoost wrote: So few people can get over the image issue. My wifes friend WILL NOT EVER BE SEEN IN A MINI VAN so they bought an Excursion.....for the two kids. So, instead of a minivan they are driving around in a baheemoth that gets 8 mpg and breaks down a few times a year? Not passing judgement, just saying that i dont get it.
Klayfish wrote: Family of 6 and no van? I don't get it. Anything that's not a van/minivan or Suburban is not going to work very well for you. Wagons, etc...technically can seat 6, but it'll be 6 unhappy people and no cargo. I've got 3 kids and couldn't imagine life without our van. Get over the image issue and get what you know your family really needs.

I don't actually need to say anything else.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
10/14/13 9:54 a.m.

Diesel excursion?

frogy130
frogy130 New Reader
10/14/13 3:59 p.m.

Here we go

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sLYg8PnrLzITJ3wZEFlcEsJCxxoWbq2ZXMlf9D2rzGhjDN53M3ACfuikFISaZEUL