Suzuki Swift GTI

Rabbit GTI

Miata

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
6/16/17 7:30 p.m.

You guys are all too young!

How about this:

Drive at full chat all day and never bother anyone. Red line of 8,000 and four Keihin carbs sticking out of it. 70 bhp was pretty good for that size of engine.

Or one of these that looked like a street going Zamboni hoover craft.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
6/16/17 7:42 p.m.

SA RX-7 hands down.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/16/17 7:53 p.m.

If money is no object- I'd suggest an old Giulietta. 1300 cc of mini Ferrari. I kind of wish I could drive one some day, but I learned that I'm not a full restorer of vehicles with one.

Narrow tires, great drum brakes, and a wonderful 1300 cc gem of a motor. All under a Pininfarina body. Yea.

But considering they are pushing $100k, well...

Slightly more expensive, and a little faster- GTA Jr. That I've driven. What an amazing car.

If it has to be slow, I'm all over the Midget/Sprite of any generation.

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
6/16/17 8:20 p.m.

My 1340cc powered Baja Bug might qualify; once went 4 drifting past a police car and he never noticed......you could drive like a hooligan everywhere.

Sprites are fun and at 65hp qualify. Perhaps a X1/9 I've found one of those to be fun.

If you want something with A/C I'd go with a Fiesta or Toyota Starlet.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/16/17 8:48 p.m.

Some chance it might be the funnest slow car, but it will never be fast!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
6/16/17 8:51 p.m.

I'd say any old 50's-60's vintage sports car. Most had less than 100hp and are not fast by todays standard. I've driven a mini and a Midget, both a blast and had to be worked hard just to barely keep up with modern traffic. My NB Miata is significantly faster than my Opel GT but the Opel brings more smiles. How about an flat-fender jeep, like the M151A1 military Jeep. Drove one in the military. Not the best handling or fast by any means and wouldn't suggest trying to turn fast, they may roll but fun to drive. Especially on dirt/gravel roads.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/17/17 11:16 a.m.

What about the mid-80s Corolla GTS? I've never driven one but does it deserve a spot on this list?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
6/17/17 11:49 a.m.

At my internship job in my senior year of HS I got to drive a Mitsubishi mighty-max pickup to carry supplies to job sites, usually in farm fields.

That little truck could barely do 55mph up hill or with a headwind, but would comfortably slide any turn on a dirt road at 25 to 30 mph.

Probably not near the best slow car fast, but good for that particular use.

physician
physician Reader
6/17/17 11:56 a.m.

From my youth, a swift gt, ef civic si and crx, 91 integra are some of my favorites.

Serious contendrs i never drove are british small sports cars, citroen 2cv beetle... got to build a garage to start owning those!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/17 2:49 p.m.

Everyone on the internets says that the FR-S is slow, so I say go 86.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
6/17/17 5:01 p.m.

Aw11 mr2, base sw20 mr2, zzw30, ae86, ra29, old school elan maybe? Depends how you define fast, I consider an s2 elise a fairly slow car so it's on my list of slow car fast but that's just like my opinion man.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
6/17/17 10:32 p.m.

Toyota Echo 5 speed but I'm bias

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
6/17/17 11:22 p.m.

You can get good dampers & meaty sway bars for an Echo, so it has merit.

JimS
JimS New Reader
6/17/17 11:41 p.m.

My boss's Borgward with 4 on the tree. Drove it back in 63 but don't know year of the car. First time I realized a small engine could be fun.

My 66 MG Midget.

My 78 Fiesta S.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
6/18/17 5:13 a.m.

If "fun" means doing stuff you'd get pulled over for and not "it's a great experience to drive a 1944 Willys MB!" Then I'd say 4cyl 5 spd 2wd Ranger.

My 1988 I bought new (2.0L) for about $10,000 and sold it for $600 five years later.

Rain and snow had the back hanging out at will, Joey Chitwood moves had it on two wheels (holy crap that was scary), "thrill hill" in my town had all four wheels off the ground as did a certain train crossing next town over.

I had Land Cruiser before it so I took it almost everywhere it went except in 2wd and quadruple the speed.

I cannot remember the sheer amount of times my friends and I were laughing so hard we couldn't talk at the things I made that poor truck do. (PS, the TIB front suspension takes severe duty like nothing I've ever seen).

I can honestly credit that truck with my ability to drive both on road and off.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
6/18/17 1:31 p.m.

Porsche 356, or 914. Different driving experiences for sure, but both tons of fun and as slow as . . .

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/18/17 1:50 p.m.

Does it have to be a car?

We had an Ingersoll Rand pettibone I had to drive on the highway quite a bit between job sites.

4 wheel drive, 3 option steering (normal, crab, and 4 wheel), 32 foot extending boom, 3 speed transmission, and a non turbo diesel. Top speed on level ground of 17, downhill in neutral I broke 25 once.

It was a blast to drive, aside from the entire world thinking they could cut you off when they passed you. But going down the highway at 17, stuck in crab mode, so I was almost sideways in the lane, that was fun as hell.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/17 12:19 a.m.

In reply to LuxInterior:

Yes, yes, yes! It's like all the same fun as an early Miata, but the engine is better, there's this magical device called a roof that stiffens the chassis, protects you from the weather, and keeps your hair looking good, and you can carry cargo and/or passengers!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/17 3:42 a.m.

The answer is "Trabant"

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/17 3:47 a.m.

or Fiat 126p...

https://youtu.be/YdBuwzRAEAw

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/17 5:50 a.m.

I think the answer is whatever you drove in high school.

For me, it was a 1992 volkswagen fox wolfsburg edition coupe. And yes, it did jump well.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
6/19/17 7:24 a.m.

I had a '93 Corolla wagon (that MNDSM now owns). I have no idea why, but I loved chucking hat thing into corners.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/19/17 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

That must be why I want to recommend a Fiat 124. I had a 1971 Sport Coupe but I'm sure the Spider is just as much fun. Tall, skinny tires, an incredibly rev-happy 1608 CC. Paid $350 for mine in 1982 (how's THAT for depreciation) and had countless hours of fun pretending to be a rally driver and putting it sideways at every possible moment.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/19/17 10:36 a.m.
Robbie wrote: I think the answer is whatever you drove in high school. For me, it was a 1992 volkswagen fox wolfsburg edition coupe. And yes, it did jump well.

For me, It was a '71 MGB with Delrin lower control arm bushings and 20wt motor in new Armstrong lever shocks. It rode like a very small log truck. Sliding that car around the streets of Phoenix was a blast. But I have to agree with Keith: Classic Mini. It seems to bend the laws of physics.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3KIvnvDkn4Dv2j4JMwpZicxP3NY9YPybdLsuYqdwic9S196CeVPbtblLB5LJLDrd