1 2 3 4 5
olpro
olpro New Reader
4/11/14 10:57 a.m.
Chris_V wrote: ....And an insulting opinion doesn't deserve any respect. So STFU and GTFO.

Think about that comment :)

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
4/11/14 11:00 a.m.

Olpro, thanks man. Your Facebook link reminded me to "like" Chip Foose!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/11/14 11:17 a.m.

In reply to olpro:

I'm trying to figure out if you're trolling or not. If in fact you're not collecting tolls, what's with the hate?

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
4/11/14 11:36 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

I'll buy that. Production studios have a very different view of what entertainment is and don't understand the hardcore carguy demographic.

I certainly cannot fault their work it looks gorgeous. Something about the first season really turned me off.maybe I'll give it another go to see if its turning into more of a technical show.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
4/12/14 1:20 a.m.
olpro wrote: Not a customized version of something else? You have got to be kidding. It is a exaggerated distorted hotrod version of just about every other hot rod I have ever seen. Stretched out yes, but not an original idea on the whole damn thing. That's what my entire point is about Foose, and the rest of the customizer "community". These guys couldn't make it for a week in a real design studio.

tell me with a straight face that your avatar pic isn't just an "exaggerated distorted hotrod version" of a real car. to me, it looks just like every other car concept art sketch that i've seen in the last 10 years or so.

it's just like something Chip would draw- then he'd pick up a plasma torch, welder, grinder, hammers, paint gun, and whatever other tool and materials he needed to make it real...

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/12/14 11:02 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
olpro wrote: Not a customized version of something else? You have got to be kidding. It is a exaggerated distorted hotrod version of just about every other hot rod I have ever seen. Stretched out yes, but not an original idea on the whole damn thing. That's what my entire point is about Foose, and the rest of the customizer "community". These guys couldn't make it for a week in a real design studio.
tell me with a straight face that your avatar pic isn't just an "exaggerated distorted hotrod version" of a real car. to me, it looks just like every other car concept art sketch that i've seen in the last 10 years or so. it's just like something Chip would draw- then he'd pick up a plasma torch, welder, grinder, hammers, paint gun, and whatever other tool and materials he needed to make it real...

You'd have to go back way more than 10 years for this one. In fact I did it early spring, 1966. By the way the car came out in Sept, 66. Exaggerated perspective? That's just the way we drew cars then at GM Design Staff.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/12/14 2:27 p.m.

Interestingly, one of Chip Foose's magazine appearances was with the mildly modified '67 or '68 Firebird 400 he owned as a teenager. As I recall it was pretty tastefully done - slightly lowered, mag wheels (I think it had Minilites) and the only sign of two tone was the cove just above the rocker panels was painted a contrasting color.

plance1
plance1 Dork
4/13/14 1:34 a.m.

Whoa, a verbal hockey match has broken out! I dunno, olpro's got a pretty cool drawing there. And I think Chip's non-Overhaulin cars are fantastic. Regardless, I don't know if Chip is a car designer, car customizer or what but some of the comments on here indicate that I was on the right track with my original post, ie he's a great, great guy but that his overhaulin cars all seem to follow the same formula...1.) Do drawing, draw stripes over drawing of car, 2.)Build car, put stripes all over actual car, oh and step 1.5) Modify bumpers slightly lol! Another step I forgot, step 3.) Put on god awful wheels that are way too large for the car or for society in general. It looks like they still, yet even now, can't let go of the nonsensical prank crap. Seems as if the only thing they gave up was the "steal car, pretend to be cops and call victim" schtick. They still do this "trick" crap where people whose car have been missing for awhile are invited to some car museum, shown their car and asked if "they figured it out yet?" while Chip shows up in some kind of disguise. On this upcoming bubble top episode, they're still doing the prank call crap, the host can't seem to help himself and calls the owner to prank him in some way. Yawn. If any TV producers are reading this, for once, just create a show where the focus is on the cars. By the way, I have a terrible memory and I'm too lazy to search, if I bring up this same topic a few months from now feel free to lay into me.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
4/13/14 2:10 a.m.

In reply to plance1:

So that gets me thinking how similar car TV producers are to accountants in the automotive manufacturing industry.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
4/13/14 3:02 a.m.
olpro wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
tell me with a straight face that your avatar pic isn't just an "exaggerated distorted hotrod version" of a real car. to me, it looks just like every other car concept art sketch that i've seen in the last 10 years or so. it's just like something Chip would draw- then he'd pick up a plasma torch, welder, grinder, hammers, paint gun, and whatever other tool and materials he needed to make it real...
You'd have to go back way more than 10 years for this one. In fact I did it early spring, 1966. By the way the car came out in Sept, 66. Exaggerated perspective? That's just the way we drew cars then at GM Design Staff.

so, what, you're mad at Chip Foose for being inspired by what people like you were doing 45 years ago?

is telling people to get off your lawn one of your favorite pastimes?

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
4/13/14 6:57 a.m.

Nice pissing contest we've got going here. Here's a random photo that is way cooler than the children arguing about Chip Foose. You're welcome.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/13/14 10:19 a.m.

AAAAND the thread win goes toooo....ddavidv!!!!

Thanks for coming and goodnight.

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/13/14 11:13 a.m.

Thank you, Ddavidv, you are a good man - a true peacemaker.

Plance1, yes your initial analysis was pretty much right on. I doubt if I added any popularity to it.

Novaderrik, I took time off from chasing those young punks off my lawn to change my avatar to the car I just finished building. Now you have a new target to snark on.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
4/13/14 11:37 a.m.

In reply to olpro: I have bad eyesight but my snark is still in pretty good shape, link please?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/13/14 11:58 a.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte:
olpro's Acura

Sweet.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/13/14 4:18 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: In reply to TRoglodyte: olpro's Acura Sweet.

Looks great. Nice Midlana/Ariel Atom/Palatov Motorsports DP2/yada yada...

In other words, it looks like a modified open wheel race car.

Here a real, street legal Lola:

You should do a build thread on your car with more detailed pictures, we'd love to read more about it!

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
4/14/14 10:51 a.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: In reply to TRoglodyte: olpro's Acura Sweet.

Oh, yes, Olpro - please do a build thread.

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/14/14 2:26 p.m.

I might do something on this but, over a year after I started it, this will seem a little bogus. Don't get me wrong, build threads are a great motivation during the process, and other people's input and encouragement is critical to keeping my motivation up. Maybe an abbreviated thread, to cover the key points?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/14/14 2:31 p.m.

Yes. Please.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/14/14 2:33 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Yes. Please.

+1 And do you plan on putting stripes on it?

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/14/14 2:59 p.m.

I already have rediculously big wheels on there. What do want?

olpro
olpro New Reader
4/15/14 2:15 p.m.

Okay, I have started a thread on the builds section.

Acura RSX S-type powered RCR- Superlite Razor

I will try to put up new images, at least until we are caught up to the present.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
4/15/14 2:16 p.m.

thank you! Try and detail what you did as much as possible. I love that sort of detail.

evildky
evildky Dork
4/15/14 5:42 p.m.

The lotus was awesome, I got tired of seeing the same assortment of merkin cars and stopped watching a long time ago.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
4/15/14 6:19 p.m.
ddavidv wrote: Nice pissing contest we've got going here. Here's a random photo that is way cooler than the children arguing about Chip Foose. You're welcome.

Is it me or does everyone else REALLY want to go drive this?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KmExQNYHrNb6jXgRx4C3nAxM50zbGPEMmnUkA652AEtUiN7Y2ITFLJCPP1uVaJrD