1 2
Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
2/2/22 10:29 a.m.

I went looking for the differences in the set up on the Sycolne suspension vs the regular S10 suspension but all I could come up with was that the Sycolne had a "sport tuned suspension with bilstien shocks". 

What is the difference in the suspension and could the Sycolne handle pretty good or was it more of a straight line truck? 

Edit. I meant regular 4x4 S10. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
2/2/22 11:21 a.m.

Being AWD, I'm guessing they have more in common with the 4WD Sonoma/S10 than the 2WD models. The Syclone has torsion bars in front, while the regular S10 has coil springs:

1991 GMC Syclone Pickup

I'm seeing 3 different front sway bar parts for S10s (25mm, 28mm, 32mm). I'm guessing the Syclones got the biggest ones.

This link shows front suspension drawings and different parts for all S10 configurations but nothing clearly called out as "syclone"

The Syclones had super low payload ratings around 500lbs. Not sure if there's a legitimate reason for that (like lower spring rates in the rear) or not. But they look pretty basic 80s truck:

https://www.americanmusclecarmuseum.com/files/cars/thumbs/1991-gmc-syclone-pickup-28.jpg

Rear suspension drawings and parts lists (again for all S10)

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/22 11:39 a.m.

Yes Syclone shared suspension design with the 4wd S10, just lowered. springs, shocks, torsion bars, and bump stops were Sy/Ty specific. The transfer box was a single speed from the AWD Astro van, may have been shared with certian Olds Bravada models.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/2/22 12:16 p.m.

I believe all S10/S15/Blazer etc AWD where torsion bar front.  I know the S10 Blazer AWD chassis under my Willy's is.

2/2/22 12:30 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Thanks for all that. Yeah I was thinking vs the regular 4x4 s10 but didn't put it on the post. 

Would lowering a regular 4wd with torsion keys have the same effect as the different torsion bars found in the Sycolne?  Or are there any options for lower ride height torsion bars? 

I have seen lots of examples of tube control arms with coilovers, but I am thinking more of challenge type budget solutions. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 12:50 p.m.

(pedant mode - if it was 4wd it is a T10/T15)

Could you just lower it with the torsion bars then put really stiff bumpstops in the holders?

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
2/2/22 6:37 p.m.

If I remember correctly, you can lower a 4wd 88-98 1/2 ton pickup by using the  torsion bar keys from a 3/4 ton truck, I can't remember whether you have to flip them upside down or not, so if the smaller S10s/Blazers used the same bars as the 1/2 ton you could try that method for not much money. I've always wanted to see someone make a DIY Typhoon out of a Bravada with the full time 4 wheel drive, and hopefully make it look like this minus the headlight tape:

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/2/22 6:46 p.m.
dannyp84 said:

I've always wanted to see someone make a DIY Typhoon...

Ahem. DIYphoon. 

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
2/2/22 7:09 p.m.
dannyp84 said:

Quoting because I love this and we should all look at it 2x.

obsolete said:
dannyp84 said:

Ahem. DIYphoon. 

Tyclone?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 7:28 p.m.

The AWD/4WD versions of the S-truck shared much in common with the AWD Astros, and both share a lot of GM parts bin compatibility with other bodies like F and G.  One guy I know of was able to parts-bin a Turbo Regal to AWD, so a lot is possible.

They are all torsion bar fronts.  The Syclone/Typhoon was more or less a lowered S-truck 4x4 with an AWD box in the middle.  What they do with springs/bars/shocks is anyone's guess.  GM had all kinds of F-codes in the RPO list that kind of corresponded to vague changes to suspension components, but a code like F41 (sport tuned suspension) means something completely different on a Syclone compared to a Beretta or a Bonneville SE.  They even offered an F41 on the Celebrity which means it was an al dente noodle instead of a wet noodle.

Maybe someone has specific spring rates and torsion bar info who is more of an S10 nerd than I am.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/22 7:50 p.m.

The T trucks always looked like narrowed Toro/Eldo front ends to me.  The Astro shared a lot obviously but it alone had the goofy double idler arm setup.  GM idler arms.  Tolerance was 1/2" of play.

I used to do a lot of idler arms on everything...

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/2/22 7:54 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
obsolete said:
dannyp84 said:

Ahem. DIYphoon. 

Tyclone?

We've come full circle. SyClone?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/2/22 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Jesse Ransom :

Even better:

DIYclone.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/3/22 12:21 a.m.
Caperix
Caperix New Reader
2/3/22 6:50 a.m.

2wd & 4wd s10's all had  g body front suspension, 4wd used torsion bars for axle clearace.  They all have the same issue of positive camber gain under compression.  I installed b body front spindles on one many years ago & was amazed at the handling difference.

The b body spindles are no longer used by most & would not work on the 4wd anyways, most use a taller ball joint to get similar results with the stock spindle.

Some of the later blazers used a sealed bearing spindle with 2 piston calipers that open up your brake options.

2/3/22 8:58 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Yes. That is what I would try first. Thanks for the link. 

2/3/22 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Caperix :

Something like this? Is that what you mean for the taller ball joint? 

Link

https://www.holley.com/products/suspension_and_chassis/ball_joints/ball_joints/parts/101-10021?utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping+-+Proforged+-+Non-Brand&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&hsa_acc=7848552874&hsa_cam=12987451138&hsa_grp=122283406015&hsa_ad=519651556019&hsa_src=g&hsa_tgt=pla-1398603520017&hsa_kw=&hsa_mt=&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAiAl-6PBhBCEiwAc2GOVPJqAtkVMqhkIIRyXBZxgujgvM4tgv7h2sg4sk2OA5YdKoGUkcJAOhoChlkQAvD_BwE

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
2/3/22 9:11 a.m.

Did the SyTy also get a quicker/straight-ratio steering box? Most of that era of GM performance stuff got the 12.7:1 constant ratio box with a bit of added steering effort where the plebeian models had either a slower constant ratio box or a variable ratio box that was pretty slow on-center. That steering box alone makes a huge difference in how eager/responsive the cars feel in corners.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/22 12:16 p.m.

Maybe?  The 2wd ZQ8 trucks that came out later did. They probably bolt up on 2wd chassis, not sure about 4wd.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/3/22 12:22 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

The AWD/4WD versions of the S-truck shared much in common with the AWD Astros, and both share a lot of GM parts bin compatibility with other bodies like F and G.  One guy I know of was able to parts-bin a Turbo Regal to AWD, so a lot is possible.

Hmm...this makes me wonder if anyone's ever built a Syclone-ized Astro van.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/3/22 4:22 p.m.

FWIW, common knowledge on the S-10 and Sy/Ty forums agrees with Gearheadotaku that the Syclone and Typhoon use special torsion bars, supposed to be lower rate.

I have no idea what exactly the “rates” below are measuring, obviously it has to be lbs per something.

Syty.net forum; “Torsion Bar Rates” by user DaveP; 2009-05-24

The 2-letter code is printed on the paper label attached near the front of the bar. The 3-digit code is the RPO that can be found on the SPID. These codes could be useful when junk-yarding.

Syclone 3202lbs code unknown Syclone specific bar. NLA from GM.

Typhoon 3003lbs code CW (6CW, 7CW) This bar is also used on other applications.

4412lbs code CR, (6CX,6CR,7CX,7CR)

5277lbs code CA (6CA,7CA)

6576lbs code CB (6CB,7CB)

Edit: I have found the existance of another torsion bar. It is 6CE, 7CE. It is on the build sheet and SPID of my 93 Typhoon. I do not know the rate, because it is not listed in my parts fische.

Caperix
Caperix New Reader
2/3/22 7:22 p.m.

I think the link you posted is a ball joint that can get higher angles without binding

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pof-101-10016

These should be the tall ball joints for better camber curves

rande
rande New Reader
2/3/22 8:08 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Several years ago I remember reading article where they swapped a Syclone drivetrain into Geo Tracker. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 8:26 p.m.

BraPhoon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9BXs7wJAaINhCx4aZdxPYhZmmG4rZb0M8kxcFk7nky8XzcfDaW8Zi6E9kob24W6K