ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/4/17 7:12 a.m.

After months of battling a steering pull on the Too Fiddy I think I've got it worked out. Unfortunately It's eaten one of my front tires so I probably need to be looking for some replacements in the near future. We're talking 265/75-16 AT tires with an E load rating (or 123 load rating.) It's 2wd and doesn't do much more offroad than dirt roads but I want the ATs for traction on boat ramps, mostly. Plus they look cool. I'd like to put General Grabbers or BFG ATs on it, but those suckers are $160-$180 each. The cheapest crap tires are still $120. Is there some good, cheap tire out there that I'm missing?

I realize I'm talking about a heavy diesel truck here, and I may just be better off to just pay the money, but I thought if anyone knew of options it would be yous guys.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
8/4/17 7:26 a.m.

I have Treadwright tires on my 2000 F250. I went with the Warden A/T's due to also being 2wd and not needing anything super aggressive. I have had them on for ~10,000 miles now and they have been great, they are wearing well and provide good traction on sloppy muddy trails when going back into an offroad park to get my buddies broken dirt bike. The only problem people have with them is if they try to air them down for more serious offroading which doesnt sound like it will be a problem for you.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/4/17 7:42 a.m.

Not super cheap but I like the Kumho Road Ventures I have on my Montero.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/kumho/road-venture-at51/p/tv193001940

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
8/4/17 8:02 a.m.

I've heard good things about the Kumhos EvanB mentioned.

smokindav
smokindav Reader
8/4/17 8:18 a.m.

A wise man once said never skimp on rubber products

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/17 8:35 a.m.

Hercules Terra Trac 2. I have them on my Denali. Great grip quiet and have an aggressive look. I was worried about noise actually due to there aggressive look but they are one of the quietest tires I have ever had. I was told they are made by michelin. By far the best AT tire I have ever had for the $$$$.

They were recommended to me by my tire guy at the local Hogan Tire. I am going to put a set on my wife's H2 this fall.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/17 8:53 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Hercules Terra Trac 2. I have them on my Denali. Great grip quiet and have an aggressive look. I was worried about noise actually due to there aggressive look but they are one of the quietest tires I have ever had. I was told they are made by michelin. By far the best AT tire I have ever had for the $$$$. They were recommended to me by my tire guy at the local Hogan Tire. I am going to put a set on my wife's H2 this fall.

I've had a variety of tires on my F250 in the 15 years and 270k miles that I've owned it and the Hercules Terra Tracs were the best tires I've experienced. The originals lasted longer the the 2s but they're still a good tire for the money.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/17 9:34 a.m.

I know Kumho Road Ventures perform well off-road for an AT tire.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
8/4/17 9:41 a.m.

I replaced the Michelins on my Excursion with Kumho Road Venture AT51's and they have been great.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
8/4/17 9:42 a.m.

I like the General Grabber AT/2

Not the cheapest, but far from the most expensive. Very good on snow and muddy road. I don't really "wheel" so I can't speak to their real off-roadness. Comes in 10 ply for towing or hauling heavy loads. I got pretty good wear out of them on a the diesel chevy mostly towing a big enclosed trailer. They aren't even obnoxiously loud on the highway.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
8/4/17 10:01 a.m.

I've got the BFG Commercial Traction T/A's on the rear of my Dooley and I can recommend them, but at near 200 clams in your size, I guess they don't qualify as cheap. At least you only need four tires and not six like I did!

java230
java230 SuperDork
8/4/17 10:06 a.m.

berkeley Treadwrights. Sorry I cant stand them. Probably ok on smaller trucks, but on heavy trucks (10+ lbs) they tread squirm like CRAZY. The worst tire I have ever had for heavy.

That being said, they are cheap and looked well made, just did not work out on my heavy truck.

Dont buy super cheap crap..... Your going to want a pretty soft compound for the good boat launch traction IMO

Erich
Erich UltraDork
8/4/17 1:32 p.m.

I've been running Falken A/T3W - they're very quiet and stable so far.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
8/4/17 1:53 p.m.
Erich wrote: I've been running Falken A/T3W - they're very quiet and stable so far.

That's good to hear, I just bought a set for my Suburban. I had the General AT2 before and they were great for 25k miles, but then had at least one become impossible to balance, might have started to go out of round. I wanted an AT Tire load range E that was severe snow rated and cheaper than the BFG AT so ended up with these and am enjoying the smooth ride of having 4 balanced tires.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
8/4/17 2:36 p.m.

I had kumho road ventures for a while, they were decent but what finally did them in was a small sidewall puncture, after that was Goodyear duratracs which are no longer cheap, latest set are General at/2 which were a good deal cheaper than all the other top tier companies, and would be my recommendation

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/17 4:09 p.m.

I think I was at $600 out the door for the set of Hercules on my Denali.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
8/4/17 4:16 p.m.
Huckleberry wrote: I like the General Grabber AT/2 Not the cheapest, but far from the most expensive. Very good on snow and muddy road. I don't really "wheel" so I can't speak to their real off-roadness. Comes in 10 ply for towing or hauling heavy loads. I got pretty good wear out of them on a the diesel chevy mostly towing a big enclosed trailer. They aren't even obnoxiously loud on the highway.

I gotta strongly disagree with you there. Having had both, the Grabbers and the BFG All Terrain TA that General copied, the BFGs are superior in every way and not significantly more expensive.

Sadly I got another set of Grabbers on my WRX, the PO elected to save $80 on a set of 4 and got the Grabbers instead of the BFGs, I would gladly have given him $80 to get the BFGs.

Another huge plus is you can get the BFGs "laces out", since as we all know, style is everything.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
8/4/17 4:54 p.m.

I have Laufenn X-Fit A/Ts on my GMC 2500HD. It's Hankooks sub brand. I've been more than happy with them. I put them on in December, got me through winter and I've put about 70k on them and still have about 50% tread on them.

I got them through my buddies wholesaler for about $135 a tire. I know Discount Tire had them for $154 each. It was the cheapest A/T I could find in my tire size.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/4/17 8:20 p.m.
I put them on in December, got me through winter and I've put about 70k on them

I knew you drove for a living but damn! Can't really get much more qualified of a recommendation than a guy who has put 70k on a set of tires driving them all over the country.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YSzkZkwOcOA08ESa4jQZ5PKPt7KaHdcl5nNdqDKtZOFvAxSY7DCw80ge1Rk4foDG