1 ... 3 4 5
Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/25/13 9:14 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Ian F: You missed the 73 Dart that *is* drivable, as are the Javelins. You rejected it for being not clean, so I found an even better, and more legit, muscle coupe. I give up, you'll never find what you want.

There's nothing in the '73 ad that hints the car could drive across town, much less to PA.

The seller of the Javelins specifically says to bring a trailer and cash, essentially saying neither car has moved in a long time.

If they're such great deals, YOU buy them. You like Javelins...

But you're right... I'm not holding my breath on finding what I want... especially since I lack the patience (or whatever search function you guys use) to sift through thousands of CL ads from all over the country. I'd seriously like to know how you guys do it. Whenever I look for anything on CL, all I ever get is piles of unrelated junk and spam.

To JacktheRiffer, that sucks about ZX. Unfortunately, I know all too well about having issues with your DD put a hamper on project funds/time.

Your screen name amuses me. I've been playing my guitars a lot recently and that has severely put a damper on my desire to wrench on the cars... I actually have calluses on my fingertips for the first time in many years...

JacktheRiffer
JacktheRiffer New Reader
9/25/13 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Yea the screen name was actually my girlfriends idea for my stage name. Just kinda stuck.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
9/25/13 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Something that helps me a lot are the "pipes". For example, I'll put Volvo 122|Amazon|1800|544 into the search blank to find older Volvos. I also use the asterisk, such as 196* to select down only stuff built in the 1960's. A lot of times I'll put in a minimum price, say $100, to weed out all the idiots who advertise their car as $5 meaning "$5,000". And I usually only bother with ads with pictures. Seriously, even I have a smartphone now. Put some damn pictures in your ad!

Also, make sure you're searching only "cars and trucks" and not all of craigslist.

The multi-city CL engines are variously helpful, stupid, frustrating, and clunky. A lot of times I'll just start in one area, narrow my search down, and it'll give me resuklts from surrounding areas. Sometimes I just try random cities that I'd be willing to drive to.

Yeah, it's work, if you don't enjoy the hunt.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/25/13 9:49 p.m.

It took me a couple days to remember/think of this:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/565/

Use that as inspiration for building a big Ford Panther platform car.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
9/26/13 9:12 a.m.

There's a lot of days I want to add lightness and make my 530i a track toy, but sanity kicks in. It was phenomenally fun at the HPDE a few years ago even at full weight (~3700lbs)

In reply to ClemSparks:

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
9/26/13 9:24 a.m.

i watched a very clean dark-grey 2005 P71 sell for $2,600 at auction yesterday. made me think of this thread.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse HalfDork
9/30/13 10:22 a.m.

Here's another, PAIR, of V8 A bodies that could be pieced together for one pretty cool cruiser:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/3950132667.html

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
9/30/13 2:14 p.m.

Triumph TR8. Doesn't take much to turn them into genuine muscle cars.

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
10/1/13 10:04 p.m.

If an auto is okay, GS400 or GS430! :-)

Got mine for ~$4000 after all the work rebuilding the top end on the motor and it's fast and way more comfy than a fox body or Camaro. But it's auto only unless you're adventurous. Also hop up parts are going to set you back way more than the domestic counterparts.

As a plus the wife acceptance factor or hoochie mamma attracting factor is way higher with the Lexus than with any pony car.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/2/13 3:16 a.m.
TR8owner wrote: Triumph TR8. Doesn't take much to turn them into genuine muscle cars.

that and they are so light. You can get them to subaru brz level power for pennies except you have significantly more torque and a significantly lighter chassis and later options are v8 endless and there is a guy who runs a site that supplies a lot of parts and aftermarket for them.

I want one

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
10/2/13 7:53 a.m.

Doesn't the TR8 weigh almost the exact same as a BRZ?

kanaric
kanaric Reader
10/3/13 2:16 a.m.
dculberson wrote: Doesn't the TR8 weigh almost the exact same as a BRZ?

quick google everything says like 2600-2650 lbs so I guess like 200lbs less or so. I was thinking tr7 weights it seem which is a good deal less but 2600lbs isn't bad at all. I guess it's closer to modern miata weight than the BRZ

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
10/3/13 8:32 p.m.

In reply to kanaric:

Yup, you're thinking of Woody who runs the Wedge Shop in Mass. Anything you want to know about TR8's, these are the guys to call

http://www.thewedgeshopstore.com/.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
abplCPS49OWW0wdExzWVFnkKENw6nXwZhJJWcVPLFJQlzUXnYhZzzcjnSz3d4AqZ