1 2 3
Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
12/3/08 7:35 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I had a subscription issue once, and ever since Margie has stuffed cookies or dollar bills into each issue. Great company.

And if that didn't work, Margie would stuff your mail carrier in a 55 gal drum full of diesel fuel until more concrete is poured!!

I have only had one instance where an issue went home in the mailman's lunchbox, and GRM was quick to replace it. GRM is an example of the finest customer service!

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
12/3/08 8:57 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Well I don't think things are going to get any better with the USPS...Its like they don't want people coming in for business.

They don't. Why work harder when any shortfall will be made up with government money? Quick! Everybody jump on the bailout bandwagon!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/3/08 11:00 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Nah, sorry, but I don't doubt Andrew--there ARE delivery problems that the post office just doesn't address (no pun intended). I mean, c'mon... should we have to tell someone to try a different address because the mailman doesn't like stuffing magazines in their apartment box?

That's okay. It's made it so that now my girlfriend looks forward to seeing the magazine. :)

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/3/08 1:15 p.m.

I guess I'm lucky, I have no delivery problems. Mebbe my mailperson (gotta be PC!) is not a car nut. Come to think of it, the local post office does a good job with everything I do with them; I ship and receive packages with no problems.

In fact, the last time I had a delivery problem of any type was with a package of parts delivered by UPS and it wasn't even their fault. When I got the J-H project, the guy promised to ship me a few odd parts he had at work. About the second or third week of October, I hadn't seen the stuff so I Emailed him, he said sure he'd shipped the stuff. Huh? He checked with UPS, they had delivered the packages in mid September. It turns out he had put the wrong house number on the shipping label, so I walked down to the house (4 doors down from mine) and there were the packages sitting on the front porch all faded and water stained. Weird. The house belongs to an old couple, I knocked on the door and rang the doorbell, no answer. I got my packages and went home, I saw the old couple later that afternoon in passing and they looked just fine. Only thing I can figure is they always use the garage door opener and thus never saw the packages.

digdug18
digdug18 New Reader
12/3/08 4:33 p.m.

I've had delivery problems before with my local post office over the years. But nothing like this, magazines not showing up in the mail, after talking to the GRM staff and them saying that they have been sent out. I had the mail carrier replaced and moved to a different route. When I get magazines, the post office calls me to tell me that they have arrived. What can I say small town, lol.

And no, the post man isn't gay, he doesn't drive a miata. Isn't a yuppy driving a E30, and isn't swedish that I can tell, so no volvo. He does have a nice right hand drive STI in which he delivers the mail though.

I guess I'll have to goto a post office box or change the address its mailed to and give GRM another chance. But it seems like constant problems.

And feel free to jump on me if you wish, I dont mind. If it were cheaper to get every issue via UPS I'd jump right on that, but sorry to say that the USPS have cornered the market on that sector, infact its kinda like a monopoly!

Andrew

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/3/08 4:45 p.m.
digdug18 wrote: And no, the post man isn't gay, he doesn't drive a miata. Isn't a yuppy driving a E30, and isn't swedish that I can tell, so no volvo. He does have a nice right hand drive STI in which he delivers the mail though.

Wow... I suddenly have much less respect for your plight.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut HalfDork
12/3/08 4:53 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
digdug18 wrote: And no, the post man isn't gay, he doesn't drive a miata. Isn't a yuppy driving a E30, and isn't swedish that I can tell, so no volvo. He does have a nice right hand drive STI in which he delivers the mail though.

Hey, be nice. He hasn't been getting his GRMs, so he doesn't know of the terrible error he's just made!

mtn
mtn Dork
12/3/08 6:19 p.m.
Salanis wrote:

+1.

If you're gonna be around here at all, know that Miata is always the answer. And no, we aren't gay (Maybe some of us are, IDK, and IDC). If its not Miata, its E30. I think the yuppyness of the car went away about 15 years ago.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/3/08 6:24 p.m.

If he's not driving a Miata, E30, or a Volvo wagon, he MUST have a sweet P71. :D

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/3/08 6:55 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Well I don't think things are going to get any better with the USPS. Have you seen the deficit they are going to have this year? I cannot believe the way the PO is run. Don't open till 8:30 and some close at 4:30. One nearby closes for lunch too. Its like they don't want people coming in for business.

My local post office has seen fit to no longer deliver mail to my door. My wife has to go 4 blocks with 2 children ( a 3mo old and a 15mo). The local post office manager doesn't see how this could be an inconvenience

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
12/3/08 7:03 p.m.

Right hand STI for the mail carrier?

I know that Subaru sold a Postal Carrier version in the '90 but it was a standard version Legacy.

http://www.cars101.com/postlsub.html

I believe you can still purchase new Jeeps in Postal Carrier trim.

Could the trouble in the USPS be farther down the line in the postal system? Is your mail sorted somewhere else before it arrives at your small town Post Office?

I do know one thing, GRM will do everything they can!

-John

'95 Volvo Wagon & '90 Miata

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/3/08 7:08 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Right hand STI for the mail carrier? I know that Subaru sold a Postal Carrier version in the '90 but it was a standard version Legacy. http://www.cars101.com/postlsub.html I believe you can still purchase new Jeeps in Postal Carrier trim. Could the trouble in the USPS be farther down the line in the postal system? Is your mail sorted somewhere else before it arrives at your small town Post Office? I do know one thing, GRM will do everything they can! -John '95 Volvo Wagon & '90 Miata

Seen one live and in person, the post office was not taking offers.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
12/3/08 7:13 p.m.

If I understand correctly, these types of Subarus are typically owner by independent (contracted) mail carriers. Therefore, if you wanted to buy one, speak to the person driving it, not the office.

If you follow the link I posted earlier it will take you to a classified section.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/3/08 10:17 p.m.

It doesn't quite look like an STi to me.

compaddict
compaddict
12/3/08 10:52 p.m.

I went two years without my payed subscription. I called when it stopped coming and they said they found the error and would kick me all the issues I missed. Months went by and I called again they found no record of anything. I had to dig up a copy of the canceled check and email them a copy. They emailed back and said all was well. More months went by. Every month or two I would email and settled for a refund. Then nothing for a long time. I emailed a few months ago and they had no record of anything and had to dig up a copy of the canceled check again. I did talk them into three years this time but no back issues. For the last four months I have been getting two issues of the same month three weeks apart! I'm kind of thinking at this rate I'll buzz through my three year subscription in a year and a half. I think I should have asked for all the back issues and just re-upped.

Vince

digdug18
digdug18 New Reader
12/4/08 2:50 p.m.

No i believe that my mail carrier's original 91 legacy right hand drive died someplace around 300k and he found this one on ebay, its a complete jdm sti that was imported some time ago, i think its a late 90's car, maybe 97 or 98??

My uncle works for the postal service and has a 89 legacy right hand drive that he only uses to deliver mail in, its one its third engine with somewhere around 400k miles on the clock.

But yeah, still no GRM issues in the mail. And I don't completely believe that ALL owners of miata's are gay, just the ones with roll bars, there is just something gay about them having a stiff rod in their back seats/above their heads all the time. And just because they are featured on the cover quite often or in articles on a regular basis, doesnt mean they are the be all end all of cars. It just means that the car sells issues, and stories about them as well.

The miata is fairly cheap, easy to work on and quite reliable. They're are other classes to race in, but with the availability of stock and aftermarket parts and support, they are currently a good car to race with. However, if there was a cheaper car that had better handling, and the proven support, both company and aftermarket, then I think it would rule.

And even though it might not be true, I could be just trying to piss the miata owners off, there is that possibility, lol... But the fact remains I am still missing issues, lol.

Andrew

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/4/08 3:11 p.m.
digdug18 wrote: The miata is fairly cheap, easy to work on and quite reliable. They're are other classes to race in, but with the availability of stock and aftermarket parts and support, they are currently a good car to race with. However, if there was a cheaper car that had better handling, and the proven support, both company and aftermarket, then I think it would rule.

Yes, if there were another car that were cheaper, more reliable, better handling, rwd, less expensive to operate, more fun, with a better availability of parts and support, it would rule and be better than a Miata.

When that car comes into existence, let me know.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
12/4/08 3:25 p.m.

I guess I'm one of the few who still doesn't have the new one yet, the last one i got was the November one. maybe its time to say something

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/08 3:29 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: You could try other magazines. I hear "Juggs" has decent content but I'm not sure if their subscription dept will replace missing copies. Shawn

This might help....

digdug18
digdug18 New Reader
12/5/08 4:29 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
digdug18 wrote: The miata is fairly cheap, easy to work on and quite reliable. They're are other classes to race in, but with the availability of stock and aftermarket parts and support, they are currently a good car to race with. However, if there was a cheaper car that had better handling, and the proven support, both company and aftermarket, then I think it would rule.
Yes, if there were another car that were cheaper, more reliable, better handling, rwd, less expensive to operate, more fun, with a better availability of parts and support, it would rule and be better than a Miata. When that car comes into existence, let me know.

I'd vote on the yugo as a possibility but it doesn't meet all of the criteria. How about a AH sprite? Or a Triumph for that matter. There are a bunch of other cars, that don't give that instant gay vibe that could be excellent racers that simply aren't being raced.

Yeah, your december issue should be at your house by now, see, the dilemma is spreading. Its like diseases in africa.

Andrew

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/5/08 4:46 p.m.
digdug18 wrote: I'd vote on the yugo as a possibility but it doesn't meet all of the criteria. How about a AH sprite? Or a Triumph for that matter. There are a bunch of other cars, that don't give that instant gay vibe that could be excellent racers that simply aren't being raced.

So, a better car than a Miata would be... a car that is very similar to a Miata, but with less performance, less dependability, and that is more costly to purchase and operate? I guess that makes sense.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/5/08 4:49 p.m.

AH Sprite costs as much as Miata, and can't even come close to it in performance or reliability (and I REALLY like spridgets). The only Triumph you might get for Miata money is a Spit or TR7 (and I really like Spits and TR7s, too), but again, the Miata's just going to walk away from 'em.

Nevertheless, they are raced, and people do cool stuff with them.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/685/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/250/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/163/

Honestly, I think the best contender to wrench the "Answer Always Is" title from the Miata would probably be the S2000, soon as prices come down just a LITTLE more.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/5/08 4:58 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: AH Sprite costs as much as Miata, and can't even come close to it in performance or reliability (and I REALLY like spridgets). The only Triumph you might get for Miata money is a Spit or TR7 (and I really like Spits and TR7s, too), but again, the Miata's just going to walk away from 'em. Nevertheless, they are raced, and people do cool stuff with them. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/250/

Ironically, Jensenam's triumph is doing cool stuff with a bunch of Mazda bits.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
12/5/08 6:10 p.m.

It seems the answer has to be broadened to the answer is always Mazda .......Mazdaspeed 3, RX2, RX3, RX4, RX7 1st gen, RX7 2nd gen, RX7 3rd gen, 626 turbo, Cosmo, Repu and so on

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/5/08 6:40 p.m.

A late 90's STi - besides being illegal for import into the US - is a very special car. Back then, there was the Impreza Turbo. And the special cars were the WRX. And the very, very special ones were the basically hand-built STi models.

Hard to imagine one of those being put to postal duty. But weirder things have happened.

So any Miata with a roll bar is gay? Wow. Frankly, I don't really care if you get your issues of the magazine. You've got enough issues as it is. I'm sitting 50 feet from at least three Miatas that would make you scream like a girl.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eJ2OOKCtBWJvpAVrlN1dA84auPKnhf16Hn0jljyUgF3IBNH7zGxCv5eXa1avW9tf