1 2
thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/12 12:43 p.m.

http://m.jalopnik.com/5936531/ford-fiesta-st-coming-to-america-like-prince-akeem

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/21/12 1:04 p.m.

Please come as the 3 door oh please, oh please!

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Reader
8/21/12 1:58 p.m.

I welcome these, though to be honest I have no intention to buy.

With all the bloat, cars like this really aren't "small" when put in context of '80's/'90's cars.

Any idea where the weight ends up on this?

Compared to current offerings though, this should be a fun car.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/21/12 2:04 p.m.

someone posted a similiar news link on the fiesta faction page.

I'm paitently waiting for one to replace my Miata.

I also hope it's near it's base for a weight- which is around 2500lb. Not much more than my miata or Alfa. I can deal with that quite happily.

(and no, I don't know anything about this car, if I did, I would not be posting)

MA$$hole
MA$$hole Reader
8/21/12 2:21 p.m.

Much better looking than the Focus ST if you ask me. We'll probably get stuck with the 5 door though.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/21/12 2:25 p.m.

I would consider this versus an Abarth.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
8/21/12 2:32 p.m.

This news would have made me pause before buying my Mazda2. I like the 2 a lot, a whole lot in fact, but I might love the ST.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
8/21/12 3:00 p.m.

My goodness gracious that 3-door looks yummy. One can only hope (in vain, I'm sure).

Any idea on the MSRP yet?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
8/21/12 3:12 p.m.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
8/21/12 3:22 p.m.

Surely base price HAS to be sub 20k. The focus ST starts at what 25.5K or something like that and is a MUCH bigger car with nicer interior... yada yada yada... Anyway, I will have to take one of these out for a spin once available. UNLESS Mazda gets off their ass and makes me a berkeleying Mazdaspeed2!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/21/12 3:34 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Surely base price HAS to be sub 20k.

I am willing to bet you damn near anything it won't be.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/21/12 4:06 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Surely base price HAS to be sub 20k. The focus ST starts at what 25.5K or something like that and is a MUCH bigger car with nicer interior... yada yada yada... Anyway, I will have to take one of these out for a spin once available. UNLESS Mazda gets off their ass and makes me a berkeleying Mazdaspeed2!

The ST's base price is just under $24k. It's sticker is less than the Titanium trim, just barely. So it's not a huge stretch to say it would be just less than a Titanium Fiesta, whatever that is.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/12 4:16 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: (and no, I don't know anything about this car, if I did, I would not be posting)

That's a rule of the internet. Only post if you don't have knowledge

In other news, I got particularly excited when I saw a Dacia Sandero when I was in Europe.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
8/21/12 4:22 p.m.
Freedom and capitalism mean five doors, somehow.

Made me LOL.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
8/21/12 4:45 p.m.
Keith wrote: In other news, I got particularly excited when I saw a Dacia Sandero when I was in Europe.

The Dacia Sandero was the first thing I thought of when I read the subject line.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/21/12 5:53 p.m.

Very cool indeed. Now.......did I miss it or what's the price?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/12 5:59 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
singleslammer wrote: Surely base price HAS to be sub 20k. The focus ST starts at what 25.5K or something like that and is a MUCH bigger car with nicer interior... yada yada yada... Anyway, I will have to take one of these out for a spin once available. UNLESS Mazda gets off their ass and makes me a berkeleying Mazdaspeed2!
The ST's base price is just under $24k. It's sticker is less than the Titanium trim, just barely. So it's not a huge stretch to say it would be just less than a Titanium Fiesta, whatever that is.

$18,200 for manual/5-door; $19,295 for auto/5-door on the Titanium Fiesta (not including delivery, base price only, in my ZIP code, according to Ford.com).

So $18K for a Fiesta ST 5-door? Hmmm...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
8/21/12 5:59 p.m.

Since the Fiat is impossible to fit in and I wanted an Abarth, I'm thinking it's either this or a new Subaru hatch next year...

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
8/21/12 7:41 p.m.

Probably a blast to drive, but I personally have no interest in buying one. It's still FWD. And that dash/interior is hideous....but each to his own. I am happy it's coming nonetheless, as I hope more manufacturers start to get some of the cooler "performance" models of certain cars on this side of the pond.

alex
alex UltraDork
8/21/12 10:00 p.m.

Wait, does the 5 door have a longer wheelbase, or does everybody want the 3 door for aesthetic purposes? I may prefer the 3, but the 5 would be perfectly practical.

Man, one of these may hop to the front of the line in our list of potential new cars.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/12 10:24 p.m.

The 4-door Fiesta is where it's at. The 3-door looks like someone took an old Fuego and overinflated it.

C&D says 175hp, no word on what shell it will be. Probably the 3-door, because hot hatch.

plance1
plance1 Dork
8/21/12 10:30 p.m.

So some of you dudes actually consider buying an "Abarf"?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
8/21/12 11:51 p.m.
plance1 wrote: So some of you dudes actually consider buying an "Abarf"?

While a pretty effeminate little car, GRM's glowing review (almost the best handling fwd car EVAR!) plus buying one in black, PLUS the fact it sounds like a tractor from the factory (love it!) meant yes, I did consider it.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/22/12 6:38 a.m.
alex wrote: Wait, does the 5 door have a longer wheelbase, or does everybody want the 3 door for aesthetic purposes? I may prefer the 3, but the 5 would be perfectly practical. Man, one of these may hop to the front of the line in our list of potential new cars.

I looked it up yesterday, and the overall lenght (not the wheelbase) is 5" longer for the 5 door vs. the 3 door.

Seems like a lot, but the Focus 3 door is a bit longer than the Fiesta 5 door.

Assuming the 2014 cars will be the same, of course.

(this was to compare with my 155in '99 Miata length)

alex
alex UltraDork
8/22/12 9:28 a.m.

OK, so the 5 door will carry a few extra pounds. I can probably live with that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Jd1LCZFzVLrpQI6HvT9ZdOKBndkhC2ijYwhr7eudfvoc0aLYHimOybHXh6WICjt