1 2 3
shelbyz
shelbyz Reader
1/16/15 10:28 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
shelbyz wrote: The post 60k factor that would make me shy away is value. When I go to replace the Sonic down the road, how much more might it have depreciated than a similar non-GM offering?
Hopefully a lot. I want them to be cheap when I look for one with 100k+ on it :)

That's a positive way to look at it actually. A few years ago, GM depreciation steered me toward a used but nearly new Ion Redline that was priced cheaper than most older RSX's, WRX's and GTI's with twice as many miles at the time.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
1/16/15 10:53 a.m.
shelbyz wrote: That's a positive way to look at it actually. A few years ago, GM depreciation steered me toward a used but nearly new Ion Redline that was priced cheaper than most older RSX's, WRX's and GTI's with twice as many miles at the time.

I love GM depreciation. I bought my Saturn from a dealer for $3K. Excellent condition, leather, sunroof, working A/C and 100k miles. I had been scouring CL for the month or two prior and Civics/Corollas in that price range had some combination of nearly double that mileage, rust, body damage, no A/C, a wrecked interior, etc.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/16/15 10:57 p.m.

I am still leaning toward the sonic over the 1.0 fiesta mainly because the US aftermarket for the 1.0 doesnt exist.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
1/17/15 6:23 a.m.

Anyone rallycross one? Seems like it might be a decent choice with a tune and the right tires. Not sure about ground clearance, though... Dunno...

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/17/15 8:45 p.m.

Got to looking at these and the Cruze. There is a dealer 2 hours from me that has a 2012 Cruze LT with 55k on it, 1.4 turbo 6 speed, in the color I would like with a set of wheels on it for 10.9 asking price. Sadly the Sonic doesn't come in the blue I would like. (Just so I can put a set of red wheels on it with a Hedgehog vanity plate) Could probably get it for 10k out the door, seems like a pretty fair deal for a decent car that gets decent mileage. I'm betting a tune, with a set of coilovers to get it lower, and a set of lightweight aftermarket wheels will get it near the "ECO" model mileage.

EDIT: Oh and found out the Cruze is rated to tow 1k lbs, so pulling a small boat should be no issue. Slippery ramps could be fun though.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/18/15 10:37 p.m.

I am prob going to test drive a sonic and a fiesta on tues, but it doesnt look like I will be able to find a 1.0/manual in the fiesta or a 1.4/manual with the sonic since all I can find locally are 1.6/autos in the fiesta or the 1.8/auto in the sonic.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/19/15 6:30 a.m.

does the Chevy dealer have any manual 1.4 Cruze's ? the driving dynamic will be very similar

and for that matter I'm about 10 mi east and you're welcome to test drive my Sonic …

when I was shopping for mine, Asheville Chevrolet had several 6sp Cruze Eco6's on the lot (this was in Oct) … if you're looking for a Sonic sedan, the driving dynamic will be very similar … the hatchback, not so much

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kdw1ooJWLtMLTomlpFvQk1NMO3ixUUan7rdGspL5FDewL06FAcBmmh1im7hJtDdV