1 2 3
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/20/09 9:48 a.m.

Is GRM planning on doing a review on the new SS? Just curious to hear your "official" word on whats being touted as "one of the best handling FWD cars ever"...I guess Jim Hall said that...like he knows handling... PSHHH

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/20/09 9:54 a.m.

I'd like to test it, we haven't seen any in the test pool for the Southeast. I liked the supercharged version a lot.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/20/09 10:00 a.m.

The turbo version is alot better. more useable power band. much improved suspension tuning....not that my oppinion is anything in comparison to "the official oppinion".

please GRM test one soon. it's a great car.

(the HHR SS is sweet too)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 10:04 a.m.

I'd almost bet my next paycheck that the world class suspension, fantastic engine, unbelievable brakes and super price will all be negated because the interior is not up to 3-series levels. Just a guess. . .

Per Schroeder
1/20/09 10:07 a.m.

Well, we did not like the Saturn Ion Redline as it looked and felt truly horrible. The Cobalt was a step up and we noted that.

Does someone need a hug?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 10:28 a.m.

Just callin it like I see it is all. . . Good rag (and site), just one sided views at time that rival my own closed mindedness. . . lol

EricM
EricM Reader
1/20/09 10:32 a.m.

I think they are pretty cool, but for the same money (or thereabouts) you can get a solstice GXP (used).

But to duke it out with the Mazda Speed 3 is saying something.

I am rambling.

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
1/20/09 10:48 a.m.

They do seem to be doing well on the national scene. From what I've heard and seen, world-class drivetrain and suspension mated to a really low-end vehicle. The interior panels, for example, are flat and boring and the assembly quality is pretty low grade. The sleeper value of the 4-door sedan is cool; attractive enough for me to consider as my next ride. I love Q ships.

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
1/20/09 11:10 a.m.

Solstice GXP holds its value very well so far, I'm going to bet a Cobalt SS will be much cheaper in a year or two.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 11:40 a.m.

cobalt SS Sedan with LSD for $23k sticker, pre-rebates. That's a crazy amount of car at an affordable price.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/20/09 11:55 a.m.

I found the interior in the SC Cobalt SS to be very nice for a $20K car. The one I drove already had 50K miles on it and the inside still looked brand new. The seats were comfy for 2 hour road trips and the stereo was great. I'm sorry, but I just did find the interior unattractive or "plasticy" at all, especially on such a cheap car. Did I mention the 35MPG in mixed driving?

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/20/09 12:06 p.m.

The biggest problem I see with the Cobalt SS is the existence of the Mazdaspeed 3 and Golf GTi.

While the cobalt may be slightly faster on the track the other options are much better at being cars. The Golf GTi is slower by a big margin and slightly more expensive and it's the one I would buy.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 12:09 p.m.

It costs more, costs more to maintain, is slower and you;d still buy it? And I wonder why the Big 3 have problems. . .people just aren't smart anymore!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
1/20/09 12:24 p.m.

ljkdf;lksadjflaskdjf

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/09 12:28 p.m.

Cobalt SS - @ $24K

Mazdaspeed3 - @ $24K

3-Series - @$40K

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/20/09 12:34 p.m.

Bowtie boost guage FTW!!!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/20/09 12:38 p.m.

I hope it does well, the more they sell now the more trickle down on the used market

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 12:39 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Cobalt SS - @ $24K Mazdaspeed3 - @ $24K [u]CORRECTION, Navi means $27k[/u] 3-Series - @$40K

Quick correction there. Compare apples to apples please.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/20/09 12:45 p.m.

+1 on what bobzilla said, plus what are the odds of getting a sub-sticker price on an SS Vs. the speed3. And why does the included BMW only have 2 pedals??!!!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/20/09 1:08 p.m.

I think i'd be more than willing to pay $3k more to get the interior of the Mazda...

The BMW? Nope. Modern bimmers don't do it for me.

I miss the E36 interior.

I like the Mazda interior the best out of the 3 anyways.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
1/20/09 1:14 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Quick correction there. Compare apples to apples please.

Actually, the Grand Touring MS3 retails for around $25k...which is right around what the similarly equipped Cobalt SS coupe I looked at yesterday retailed for.

I wouldn't mind driving one, but I think I'd still go for the MS3. It's a lot more practical, even if it's not quite as fast as the Cobalt.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 1:16 p.m.

GT STARTS at $25k, but that does not include Navi that is clearly pictured. Again, if you're going to state something as fact, make sure it's true first. Cobalt SS starts at $22k.

Per Schroeder
1/20/09 1:18 p.m.

We've got a range of project cars to fit our range of readers. That goes from cheap Neons to more expensive BMWs. As we've discussed in other threads ad nauseum, there is more to GRM than just what one person wants or likes.

I can see buying a Cobalt SS when they've depreciated. I've got that Neon spot in my driveway that is slated to turn into various VWs, Fords and whatnot through the next few years. I hope to see some aftermarket support for the Cobalt as well.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
1/20/09 1:28 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: GT STARTS at $25k, but that does not include Navi that is clearly pictured. Again, if you're going to state something as fact, make sure it's true first. Cobalt SS starts at $22k.

You're correct, I never said that the Navigation was included for $25k.

BTW, Chevrolet's site says that the SS Cobalt in sedan or coupe form starts at $24,095.

I know the better deal when I see it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 1:29 p.m.

I just saw the Cobalt SS SEdan at the auto show 2 weeks ago. Starting price was $220xx, had sunroof and LSD and was $24xxx.

edit: either the price increased, or the website's wrong. I even mentioned to the wife that a base car for $22k was a fantastic price for 260hp.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mPZuoG62TorwDUVMTlOMzbFHfNMGPCZFY3T58uMFKuLiEHKnVDwbgTBHGIfZLhSJ