1 2 3
Racer1ab
Racer1ab New Reader
1/20/09 1:33 p.m.

Bailout pricing?

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/20/09 1:38 p.m.

actually, the MS3 with navi only comes to 26,xxx, i've got the original window sticker out in the car if you'd like to see it. also realistically, you can get the mazdaspeed3 for quite a bit less than sticker now that they're not considered a "limited edition" anymore.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 1:38 p.m.

well, it WAS an autoshow car..... it wouldn't be the first manufactuer to do the bait/switch tactic!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/20/09 1:39 p.m.

awww...my first 2 page thread...nothing new to add...just reveling in it. Thanks guys

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 1:40 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: actually, the MS3 with navi only comes to 26,xxx, i've got the original window sticker out in the car if you'd like to see it. also realistically, you can get the mazdaspeed3 for quite a bit less than sticker now that they're not considered a "limited edition" anymore.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/selectConfigOptions.action?buttonAction=finish&vehicleCode=MS3&modelYear=2009&modelCode=MS3++SGT+P++&mscCode=BA6RNA4&packages=TE_1NV&x=122&y=14

That shows $27075.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/20/09 1:50 p.m.

looks like they've bumped up the destination charge, and in 07 the navi and sirius didn't come as a package.

iirc, my car new with navi, autodim homelink mirror, and cargo mat came out to something like 26,760 or so.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 1:51 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: awww...my first 2 page thread...nothing new to add...just reveling in it. Thanks guys

I hit 6 pages on the Ridgeline issue. . . and got mentioned in the mag!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/20/09 1:58 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: awww...my first 2 page thread...nothing new to add...just reveling in it. Thanks guys
I hit 6 pages on the Ridgeline issue. . . and got mentioned in the mag!

you couldnt just let me be happy could ya

...Berzerkleying jerk

Well at least Cobalt > Ridgeline (Ha just kidding...except Im sorta not kidding )

If I keep making ridiculous comments all the time, maybe I will at least get into Words of Wisdom

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 2:00 p.m.

I keep hoping mt wit will shine through.. . . but I think I pissed them off over the whole ridgeline thing! lol You are right, Cobalt > Ridgeline everytime!

AutoXR
AutoXR New Reader
1/20/09 2:05 p.m.

The cobalt weighs 250 Lb. less then the MS3, you can get a factory warranty on the upgrades (up to 290 hp with another pkg above that coming soon)

You can really tell the people who use magazines as gospel and those who actually drive the cars. It's hard for some of you to swallow that performance wise the Cobalt SS is a better all around car... so you argue about interior. the same people like to argue how much better the GTR is over a ZR-1 vette. The design of the interior may be spartan compared to the Mazdaspeed 3, but the quality of materials is on par, and was one of the key focuses in re-designing the car. regardless of GM's ffinancial woes, they are building the best product in their history and if they get management and direction sorted out we will see a lot more great cars from them

Oh Noes... Chevy Built a good car!

PS..I drive a VW everyday, race a Civic..but do have a few chevy's.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
1/20/09 2:09 p.m.

Gee and I see it just exactly opposite of you AutoXR.

I see the Cobalt as being a decent performer due to it's engine package, but a car that is destined to fall apart much earlier than many of it's competitors offerings.

I expect issues to be higher than on most other cars.

I too drive several Chebys &/or other GM offerings and none of them have been up to the standards of any of the other cars I touch in a day. Nissan is the most GM like of the foreign cars and even they are light years ahead of GM in quality and fit and finish.

The engine is a 70's hold over they got from Opel.

The way I see it is if GM can do it and cost a dime less they will - and it shows.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 2:12 p.m.

^ And every GM I have owded has been a great performer, long lasting and durable, usually getting better mpg than it's competitors.

I too see imports everyday. . . and what I have seen over the last 7 years only reinforces my belief that the imports are on a downward spiral.

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
1/20/09 2:13 p.m.

I too long to drive the turbo Cobalt SS, I was quite fond of the supercharged one we had a couple years back. Like Per, I was particularly amazed how much nicer that old SS was compared to its direct-relation ION RedLine. They were basically the same car, but for a variety of reasons the Saturn was just no good compared to the Cobalt.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/09 2:14 p.m.

Again I thrashed the E36 M3 out of my Cobalt and the only failure I experienced was a steering joint that made a tiny little noise. Yes the interior was a little plasticky, but for a $12,000 I wasn't ashamed of it, and once on real tires the car was VERY fast with my NON-driving ass behind the wheel.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/20/09 2:16 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Gee and I see it just exactly opposite of you AutoXR. I see the Cobalt as being a decent performer due to it's engine package, but a car that is destined to fall apart much earlier than many of it's competitors offerings. I expect issues to be higher than on most other cars. I too drive several Chebys &/or other GM offerings and none of them have been up to the standards of any of the other cars I touch in a day. Nissan is the most GM like of the foreign cars and even they are light years ahead of GM in quality and fit and finish. The engine is a 70's hold over they got from Opel. The way I see it is if GM can do it and cost a dime less they will - and it shows.

Car guy/AutoXR...please see " I thought the big 3 just sucked" for this type of rant...this was supposed to be a suggestion for a review, not a diss thread Thanks

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
1/20/09 2:16 p.m.

talk about using the magazines as gospel, that sounds quite a bit like some magazine racing

in my opinion, the mazdaspeed is better to live with everyday than the cobalt SS would be. that means interior, ride quality, fit & finish BEFORE it means how fast someone that writes for car & driver was able to send it down the 1/4 mile. that is, unless you live your life a 1/4 of a mile at a time....

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/09 2:19 p.m.

Ah yes, its the same debate that raged when the GTI came out, and Chrysler followed by producing the GLH and GLH-Turbo's. The GTI was the better "car" with the aftermarket around to make it a better performer. The GLH/GLH-T was a faster car but the build quality and reliability meant it was as nice a "car" as the GTI.

In the end, both cars were fun and each had their own rabid followers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, look at the facts, drive the cars and choose the one you like the best. Either way, you'll have a fun car no matter what you do with it.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury New Reader
1/20/09 2:21 p.m.
fiat22turbo wrote: drive the cars and choose the one you like the best. Either way, you'll have a fun car no matter what you do with it.

+27

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/20/09 2:35 p.m.

Indeed, choose the car you like the best. I absolutely fell in love with the GTi with DSG. I was looking at leasing one when they had that "Sign then Drive" deal, but they wouldn't give me a thing for my trade. I'm sure the SS is a fantastic drive, buy I don't want my neighbors thinking I've gone and bought a rental car.

However, if I had the need for a FWD track car I'd buy the SS without even thinking about it.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/20/09 2:39 p.m.

I'd love to see a comparison test with the GTI, MS3, and Cobalt SS. Both stock and lightly modded.

DJ

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
1/20/09 2:44 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: ...The engine is a 70's hold over they got from Opel. ..

Excuse me?

A 260 hp, direct-injected turbo is a 70's holdover?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 2:46 p.m.

I took that line as his ignorance shining through.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
1/20/09 3:22 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I took that line as his ignorance shining through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#Ecotec

"The Family II is a straight-4 piston engine that was originally developed by Opel in late 1970s for use in the Opel Ascona B and Opel Kadett D. Over time, the engine block has evolved to include many modern features such as DOHC and fuel injection. Family II has also expanded to include a range of Opel derived 6 cylinder engines. Many General Motors subsidiaries, including Holden, GM do Brasil and recently GM Powertrain have adopted this design. It is also starting to be used in hot rods as an engine swap."

Take that!

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/09 3:22 p.m.
skruffy wrote: Indeed, choose the car you like the best. I absolutely fell in love with the GTi with DSG. I was looking at leasing one when they had that "Sign then Drive" deal, but they wouldn't give me a thing for my trade. I'm sure the SS is a fantastic drive, buy I don't want my neighbors thinking I've gone and bought a rental car. However, if I had the need for a FWD track car I'd buy the SS without even thinking about it.

WTF do you care what your neighbors think of your cars? Are they making the payments? Are they driving it?

Comments like that piss me off. The sort of "I don't want to be seen in X" Honestly, it is none of their business and if they get curious you might just open their eyes.

I had a recent discussion with some members of my car club about Miata's and Solstice/Sky's. I argued that they the Miata's are a better vehicle for their market and they kept harping on about the power of the GXP, etc. I had to remind them that the base Solstice while a nice car, isn't as good as a Miata and that comparing a base Miata to a turbo Solstice wasn't fair. Eventually they started talking about "Girl's cars, etc" and I told them that they were being childish and immature and to get back to the dicussion on the car's merits, not their homophobia.

I'm impressed with the Solstice GXP/Sky Redline and the Cobalt SS looks interesting to me as well. However, I think I'd buy a Miata and put a turbo on it before I bought a GXP simply because the Miata's styling ages better and the trunk is a bit bigger making weekend trips better, for the type of trips I would do with it. With the Cobalt SS, I like the subdued styling and the power, if it came in a hatchback or wagon form it would get the nod over a VW. I haven't been in an MS3 yet so I can't say how it would compare to the others yet.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/20/09 3:30 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: I took that line as his ignorance shining through.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Family_II_engine#Ecotec "The Family II is a straight-4 piston engine that was originally developed by Opel in late 1970s for use in the Opel Ascona B and Opel Kadett D. Over time, the engine block has evolved to include many modern features such as DOHC and fuel injection. Family II has also expanded to include a range of Opel derived 6 cylinder engines. Many General Motors subsidiaries, including Holden, GM do Brasil and recently GM Powertrain have adopted this design. It is also starting to be used in hot rods as an engine swap." Take that!

That's like comparingthe LSx engines to the 1955 SBC. Yes, they are both pushrod 90* V8's. That's about where the similarities stop. The Family II was developed in 2000 with Opel, the 1970's versions were called Family, and Family I. it's in that same wiki article you cited.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DQr3aZXUiVEulgFYx8YNpFzvRa1uO3i52HnRtVQuoJeWNLjbMX9uveYKH9vpZf5X