1 ... 6 7 8 9 10
snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
3/2/12 10:21 a.m.

Just like the production Nomad, in the sense that it is a wagon. Unlike the production Nomad, it's sinfully beautiful.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/12 11:17 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Really? I thought the new V12 Zagato was quite fetching. And have you looked at the detailing in the Evora? It may be a crappy car, but the body is very nice. AMX not pretty??!?!? Have you seen one in real life? They're gorgeous. And all of the Porsche's except the odd-duck Cessna-doored 904 and the "hey look I'm an NSX" Carrera GT? Now I think you're just messing with me... MGA top half? Yup, definitely a joke post. That horrid grill on the egg shaped hood with bulbous lights doesn't belong on this list at all let alone the top half.

Javelin
3/2/12 11:19 a.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Good points. I'll make it 997 only and combine the Boxster/Cayman. The Mustang / Camaro generations have to be separate, the bodies totally changed. Like not a single part was the same changed. As for the Corvette, I also hate the split-window, but I love the roadster, especially in big-block 65/66 guise. Very clean design.

Javelin
3/2/12 11:19 a.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Okay, the Celica post is real. That definitely belongs.

Javelin
3/2/12 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Jay:

And both are HIDEOUS man! The A110 has two different wheel wells, a door that doesn't fit, an extraneous side scoop, and the prow off of a WWI battlecruiser. The DS has that bizarre rake up the back trim, a covered wheel, and looks like it's melting.

Also, the Bugatti is French and on the list.

Javelin
3/2/12 11:23 a.m.

In reply to EvanB:

You guys really think that melting blob is beautiful? I don't know if I can bring myself to add it on there, but the masses are restless...

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
3/2/12 11:24 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to sanman: Did you miss the part about "stock"?
It's got aftermarket wheels and that's it. I guess i should be deleting one of the red Celicas, too?

Look again. The jag is FAR from stock. Many body mods. And the RX7 is way lowered.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/12 11:26 a.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to EvanB: You guys really think that melting blob is *beautiful*? I don't know if I can bring myself to add it on there, but the masses are restless...

You really think an AMC is beautiful?

Looks are always subjective so it's kind of pointless to try to make a definitive list of the most beautiful cars.

Javelin
3/2/12 11:27 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Javelin: I have no problem with not including race cars. But not including street cars because they were made in low numbers makes no sense to me. What does that have to do with beauty?

I'm only applying the production when it's obviously a race car trying to be homologated. There are actually quite a few cars on the list with less than 100 made, but none of them were racing cars.

Javelin
3/2/12 11:36 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to EvanB: You guys really think that melting blob is *beautiful*? I don't know if I can bring myself to add it on there, but the masses are restless...
You really think an AMC is beautiful? Looks are always subjective so it's kind of pointless to try to make a definitive list of the most beautiful cars.

Honestly, the AMX is the only "beautiful" one (and the AMX/3, but that's a handbuilt car). The design is truly stunning. The quarter panel edged flow down into the flush chrome bumper, the very slight peak to the decklid and hood, the way the hood and fenders flow into the door and then make the hockey-stick curve at the rear window, event the "shark fins" on the hood. It's a solid design that's been lauded by many a car design critic.

AMX/3 for reference (one of the 6, they are all slightly different, just like the 250 GTO):

(oh, and AMX/2 > all others)

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/2/12 11:39 a.m.

I'm too disinterested to read all of this.

Who is right and who is wrong?

Javelin
3/2/12 11:42 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I'm too disinterested to read all of this. Who is right and who is wrong?

If you don't care, don't post. Some of us do and we're actually having a heck of a fun and interesting conversation here. Go flounder another thread.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/2/12 11:49 a.m.

You missed the point.

I do care.

However a discussion about beautiful cars could stand to remain a discussion. Not the participants arguing in an attempt to prove their choices "right," and others "wrong." Especially not by way of attacking the choices of others.

It's painful to read, much as the subject at hand is pretty damn interesting.

Maybe you're right though, i don't belong in this one. Carry on.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/2/12 12:02 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: Really? I thought the new V12 Zagato was quite fetching. And have you looked at the detailing in the Evora? It may be a crappy car, but the body is very nice. AMX not pretty??!?!? Have you seen one in real life? They're *gorgeous*. And all of the Porsche's except the odd-duck Cessna-doored 904 and the "hey look I'm an NSX" Carrera GT? Now I think you're just messing with me... MGA top half? Yup, *definitely* a joke post. That horrid grill on the egg shaped hood with bulbous lights doesn't belong on this list at all let alone the top half.

Yes. The V12 Zagato is great from the front but the rear is horrible and a really beautiful car should look good from all angles. I do like the Evora and I don't even think it is a crappy car. I would love I just don't think it is handsome enough to be in the top 100 same with AMX. Good looking car but top 100 not really. And the NSX is a top 100 and the Carrera is a sightly better looking then the NSX. Also all Porsche 911s look more or less alike and it isn't a particularly pretty shape not bad and very iconic but not pretty.

And the MGA really... You need to have your eyes checked mate. It is a seriously good looking car.

Javelin
3/2/12 12:14 p.m.

The Zagato race version does look "busy" from the rear, but the street version is a lot cleaner., It can certainly be moved downwards. Evora can move down as well, but both it and the AMX absolutely deserve to be in the Top 100.

As for the NSX/Carrera GT, I personally find them both not very attractive. The super-simple side grill and waaaaay too long rear ends make for unpleasing aesthetics. I wouldn't mind dropping both of them, but they are pretty well regarded. I also agree that the 911 isn't pretty. The 993 is the only one that even remotely comes close, and maybe the 997, but honestly I don't think any of them belong in the Top 100.

And sorry man, but the MGA is not pretty. A great car, yes, but pretty, no. That grill is totally tacked on. I'd much prefer to stare at the big Healy, the Alfa 1300, the Alfa Spyder, etc, etc. It's not even in the Top 10 SBC's.

garaithon
garaithon New Reader
3/2/12 12:18 p.m.

Another vote for the Citroen DS! It may be different but it really is a bueatiful car.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
3/2/12 12:22 p.m.

these were our hotel @ Pebble beach in 2010

11110000 Reader
3/2/12 12:23 p.m.

Volvo 780 Bertone.

And yes again on the DS.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/2/12 12:56 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: these were our hotel @ Pebble beach in 2010

What is that?

It needs to go on the list.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/2/12 1:00 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

Delahaye.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
3/2/12 4:58 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: Jaguar XKSS

This very picture has been my desktop more often then not for years. If I ever had so much money I could buy anything - I'd buy an XKSS.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
3/2/12 5:37 p.m.

I saw someone mentioned the early Alpine A110 (which is AWESOME!), but I've always thought the A310 was beautiful as well:

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
3/2/12 5:51 p.m.

Welcome to sexy

Javelin
3/2/12 5:56 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: Welcome to sexy

Wrong thread, that one goes in the ugliest cars one. (Says the AMC fanboy!)

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/2/12 6:21 p.m.

Does anyone here know if the XKSS shared the same magnesium frame as the D-type?

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V1v2N4uovWSt5r6PUjEtbdkCJRgJGmGGKsTpwKnjSYfz9K9klPqYzXIwoV7Se6Ts