Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/15/09 2:52 p.m.

Does anyone know off the top of their head which issue had the comparison of different helmets?

Also, any idea when Snell is supposed to release their next level of standards for SA rated helmets? Looks like they're already out for motorcycle helmets.

I need to get an SA rated helmet for spec racing, and wondering if I should wait a month for new standards to be out.

unevolved
unevolved Reader
12/15/09 3:04 p.m.

I heard when I bought my helmet from the vendor (August, IIRC) that although the M2010 standards were out, SA2010 would be delayed for another year at least.

SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/15/09 3:06 p.m.

I hear October 2010 is the plan as of now.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Reader
12/15/09 3:53 p.m.

Funny enough I need a new helmet before Oct '10, so I guess I'll be buying an SA05.

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones Reader
12/15/09 4:01 p.m.

I've got a brand new Bell GTX (SA05 7-3/8) for sale :)

Kendall

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
12/15/09 4:36 p.m.

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread!

Need, coffee, now... Brain, not work, right without, coffee...

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
12/15/09 4:49 p.m.

I've been wondering this too, since my old Bell Sport needs replacing (I've used it at least 60 weekends, so it doesn't owe me anything )

Here's what it says on the Snell Foundation website:

Snell 2010 Standards Transition Scheme

The transition from the 2005 standards to M, SA and K 2010 will be more difficult than in previous standards revisions. In general, certification to the new standard will not assure that the same model also meets the requirements of the previous standard. Furthermore, many of the 2005 certified models will require extensive modification to meet Snell 2010 standards. For these reasons, the Foundation proposes a longer transition period. M2010, SA2010 and K2010 will begin a year early. The first units may be offered for sale as early as October 1, 2009. And M2005, SA2005 and K2005 will continue for a year longer than usual. Manufacturers will not be required to stop production of these helmets until March 31, 2012.

~Snell 2010 Link~

Saferacer has the ~Bell Sport~ for $259 and free shipping so I'll probably buy that.

audifan
audifan New Reader
12/15/09 8:26 p.m.

Hey guys just some food for thought, I recently watched a clip on non snell helmets and the fact that in most accidents they may be safer than a snell helmet. Due to the fact that the helmet is built to absorb impact, via the foam inside the helmet compressing once the impact occurs, the snell rated helmets have a firmer foam thus transmitting more of the decelerative forces to your pretty little heads. The non snell helmets use a cushier foam on the inside thus absorbing more of the impact and less transfer is occuring to your brain. I am sure this has been discussed at length somewhere. and I would bet that this is worth looking into from a sanctioning body standpoint. Nial, I am sure you could waive this under some noses and at least get them thinking about it. It is worth looking to.

924guy
924guy Dork
12/15/09 8:57 p.m.

Good Timing! I needed a 'Which helmet to buy thread.' the last time i bought one, i think it was a sa90. ....

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/16/09 1:46 a.m.

Audifan, I've read similar reports. Whether or not that is the case, it is a moot point, because virtually all sanctioning bodies require Snell as the standard for certification.

audifan
audifan New Reader
12/16/09 7:35 a.m.

Salanis I totally understand that, but maybe we the collective (I know we are not BORG's but) should put some pressure on the sanctioning bodies to look into this information, I mean realistically we are all just looking out for our own ass'es. I think that generally speaking motorsports does evolve fairly well w technology. But look @ it this way, cars are getting faster and more powerful but metal still deforms at the same rate so I think it is only correct that we look @ the reality of exploring other avenues for safety. I know that structurally cars may be safer than they have ever been, but realistically there is a widening gap here

NutDriverRighty
NutDriverRighty
12/16/09 7:36 a.m.

the reason SA helmets use a harder foam (IMHO, ignorant though it might be) is that the helmets are built for multiple hits per incident. With a motorcycle, you usually only have one big hit to the helmet and it is often a flat surface (like pavement) that spreads the load, where your bucket might be pinging off of umpteen pieces of tubing in the rollcage in a auto racing application (much more concentrated force). Just my $0.02 worth.

mndsm
mndsm Reader
12/16/09 8:29 a.m.

Hrm, this is all very relevant to me, as the wife is probably going to start noticing the Mini missing on Saturday mornings.... and where it will be, a helmet will be required.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/09 8:44 a.m.

Just in case you haven't seen the other thread, I just bought a new helmet from Simpson, thanks to their aggressive discounting. If you subscribe to their email alerts, you'll get notice that they are having additional one day sales (like yesterday with an extra 15% off).

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/helmet-question-simipson-stingray/15909/page1/

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/16/09 10:03 a.m.

If I get my bike in the spring, I'm gonna pick up a basic snell rated HJC and that should get me thrue on auto X as well.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
12/16/09 4:41 p.m.

If I'm not mistaken, the SNELL rating has a fire resistance parameter that the M does not.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/16/09 4:48 p.m.
4eyes wrote: If I'm not mistaken, the SNELL rating has a fire resistance parameter that the M does not.

Yeah, basically it has Nomex lining.

My sexy new SA2005 has a removable, washable liner which I hold to be the most awesome feature ever in a piece of equipment that I will sweat into all summer long.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/16/09 4:55 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Just in case you haven't seen the other thread, I just bought a new helmet from Simpson, thanks to their aggressive discounting. If you subscribe to their email alerts, you'll get notice that they are having additional one day sales (like yesterday with an extra 15% off). http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/helmet-question-simipson-stingray/15909/page1/

Anyplace else I should look for special deals they have?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/16/09 5:08 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
dyintorace wrote: Just in case you haven't seen the other thread, I just bought a new helmet from Simpson, thanks to their aggressive discounting. If you subscribe to their email alerts, you'll get notice that they are having additional one day sales (like yesterday with an extra 15% off). http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/helmet-question-simipson-stingray/15909/page1/
Anyplace else I should look for special deals they have?

soloracer.com also has some good sales. I picked up a nice lid, gloves, balaclava and socks for the cost of retail on the lid... shipping included.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/16/09 6:21 p.m.

Giant Purple Snorkelwacker commenting on Helmets just has to be commented on... just saying

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1s6nrXv7RQba2l5D9afdRNMVZmhja4Z2vjj7NOHo1BW5zul5fZAZER0jOSR8Jzxg