Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/2/21 1:03 p.m.

Any idea if these boats are manufactured or home built? Maybe kits?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/2/21 1:38 p.m.

Maybe early Aristocrafts?  If you don't get any solid hits here, try Fiberglassics or AOMCI.   Fiberglassics has a great library of old ads and brochures you can spend days paging through

Motor on the second pic appears to be a Johnson PO15.  Roughly a 3 decade long run, 22ish HP rotary valve fuel delivery (as opposed to a reed valve.)  The spark plug covers on the ends of the cylinders give it away.  (that's my crappy looking, but strong running 15HP Evinrude behind it)

Can still find them in decent condition for surprisingly cheap.

1950 Johnson PO15, I think

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/2/21 3:04 p.m.

Dont know if this is related, but like the pic

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/2/21 6:55 p.m.

Just looks like an early runabout to me, but it's strange to see the driver sitting instead of kneeling. 
Here's a 60's sorenson for reference. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
1/2/21 7:39 p.m.

UPDATE:

I was able to contact the son of the guy in the second photo. He is also second from right in the top photo, but with a different boat. The second guy from the left was one of my father's cousins, and his father owned the marina at that time.

Anyway, here's what I learned:

"I know my fathers boat(2nd from R) was a Whirlwind. All the motors were Johnson P.O. 22. I believe they ran what they called D- utility which meant they had to be in production. Sort of like a stock class. They would strip them of everything to get them as light as possible. They ran close to 50 mph which was fast for those days."

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/2/21 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

50mph in a light boat still feels pretty quick. But now d class boats (at least the hydros) run almost 80mph. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/2/21 8:07 p.m.

Whirlwind has an interesting history https://oldtimeworld.com/whirlwind-boat-center/wild-about-whirlwinds/

I am fairly sure that there is no such thing as a Johnson PO22 though.  Maybe they remembered it as a 22HP?

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/2/21 10:03 p.m.

Those are American Power Boat Association racing boats starting in about the 50's. They had two separate categories Utilities and Hydroplanes all powered by outboard motors. In each category they had four classes A, B, C and D. Class A motors started life as Mercury or Johnson rated at 10 horsepower but actually closer to 20 horsepower and boats were about 8' long. Class D boats had motors rated at 40 horsepower but probably more like 50 horsepower plus and boats were about 12' long. Both Utilities and Hydroplanes raced oval courses. The Utilities sometimes raced point to point races or marathons of more then an hour. Boats were almost always constructed of wood. You drove on your knees with a lot of body english. The APBA was very popular in the Midwest and often drivers owned two boats in different classes and raced both during a weekend. As a kid I had a Class A Utility but the racing freaked my mother out so my career didn't last long. I then become obsessed with cars and sailboat racing but occasionally followed the powerboat racing. I know later on the APBA had some stock outboard classes but not sure if any of the original classes survived after I moved south.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/2/21 10:15 p.m.

Found this link:

https://youtu.be/Lxfo0zQ2buA

Woody (Forum Supportum)
1/3/21 8:53 a.m.

In reply to pirate :

Thanks for the info, and that's a cool video.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/3/21 9:00 a.m.

In case anyone is wondering here is what a modern b stock runabout looks like. Carbon fiber tub weighs about 80lbs and hits 40-50mph. 
This one was brought out to a local test day last summer. It was quite a bit slower than the hydro I was running but looked like a way wilder ride. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/3/21 10:35 a.m.
1SlowVW said:

In case anyone is wondering here is what a modern b stock runabout looks like. Carbon fiber tub weighs about 80lbs and hits 40-50mph. 
This one was brought out to a local test day last summer. It was quite a bit slower than the hydro I was running but looked like a way wilder ride. 

Wow! Far cry from my mahogany/oak A utility I had as a kid. In late 50's early 60's the Mercury KE7 or KG7 with the short shaft was the hot set up for Class A probably close to twenty horsepower. What engines do they run now and how many horsepower?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/3/21 10:47 a.m.

In reply to pirate :

This guy was running a kg7 believe it or not. He actually brought a pair of them out, the other was on a traditional wooden runabout.  

This may be a few years out of date but it's pretty current. They are looking this year at allowing the 4 stroke mercury into stock outboard. It would be a good move I think as some of the motors on the list above aren't very common.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/3/21 11:32 a.m.

The KG7 would be pushing 65 years old. Can't be too many still around unless there is someone making aftermarket parts. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
1/3/21 11:40 a.m.

In reply to pirate :

I'm surprised you couldn't hear it from the west coast when he fired it up here out in eastern Canada, I was standing next to it when it fired up and they are really piercingly loud....I kind of want one.

They seem to come up for sale semi frequently. I see them posted almost as often as the Yamato motors, but they sell for less. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltraDork
1/3/21 12:25 p.m.
pirate said:

The KG7 would be pushing 65 years old. Can't be too many still around unless there is someone making aftermarket parts. 

You would be surprised.  Tolerances for those older motors was such that they don't really wear out unless severely mistreated.  You or I could probably buy one by the end of the day if we were so inclined.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
2/6/21 4:15 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Looking on Craig’s, I just saw one of the PO15’s for $500

i was not familiar with them. 22 hp for 500 sounds like a good deal. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5PGiLpz5iKZunVc1dw2qiGed9LWmMRBymSCuG3AEbeF6br0cymvrTw1981D5PzOl