1 2
carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
8/7/24 4:18 p.m.

I don't post much, but I'm like that in person, too! Since getting back in the sports car game last year with a 2000 Miata to autocross, then another NB just because, I'm on the hunt for next fun-to-drive car. #2 Miata will end up GF's garage, but I have thoroughly enjoyed working on and driving both. It reignited my interest in "sporty" cars. #1 will continue as E-street autocrosser.

I'm pretty simplistic in my tastes, do my own service and don't care much about status symbols. Quirky is good, exotic not-so-much. Practicality not so important, I have a truck and trailers. Was pretty sure what I wanted was an ND2 RF, but an owner of one I was looking at 450 miles away suggested I drive one to check my fit in the car, which I haven't been able to do...long story. This got me to thinking about other possibilities. 

Mostly a buzz around town car. Truck is pretty comfy for travel. Not a daily because I don't do daily anymore. Just something to make me smile when I drive it and not be a work-in-progress. I've read roninsoldier's review post and gleaned much from it, but don't know what I don't know.  Budget around $30K, perhaps more for the "one". I'm tall (6') and skinny (165 lbs)

The mental list so far: 

ND2 Miata

Mini Cooper 2 door, JCWorks looks interesting on paper

Toyota GR86 / Subaru BRZ,  which I know little about. They're mostly the same, right?

Nissan Z latest gen, but have never seen a used one

Would appreciate anyone's insight and info on stuff you'd check out if you were spending my money and had similar wants.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
8/7/24 4:23 p.m.

I would say a Civic Si or a MK7 GTI like our project car could fit what you are looking for. They are more on the practical side but are fun to drive. GR86/BRZ is a also a solid choice. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/7/24 4:36 p.m.

FRS  Loved my Miata. The FRS is a bit more practical because of the pretend back seat. Have driven both for 1000 mile/day solo road trips and the FRS is marginally better at that game. 

I like lightweight over high power. What I liked about both is that they are lightweight cars and that makes them entertaining to drive at all times and speeds. High power cars are only entertaining when you are on the loud pedal hard, and how often is that in real life?

I have been tempted to try the BMW world because of their brilliant chassis, but the maintenance horror stories scare me away since I would be looking at used vehicles.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/7/24 4:58 p.m.

I mean this sounds like a job for 996 911 or Cayman S right?  Sure maintenance could be scary.  But my understanding is most things are entirely DIY able.  It's just occasionally they catastrophically fail and it costs 12k.  But really anything can do that sometimes and cost way to much. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/7/24 5:06 p.m.

You can get a lot of Corvette for that $$$. Mileage be damned- it'll make you smile every time you hit the loud pedal. 

imgon
imgon HalfDork
8/7/24 5:48 p.m.

I just bought my "fun" car and had a few of the above choices on my original list, E92 M3, 3rd Gen Rx 7, GR86/BRZ, 987 Cayman S, C6 Vette. My requirements ended up being; a V8, a manual transmission, seating for 4 (2 children folded in half is OK), not a money pit and that last one seriously narrowed the choices. I ended up finding a 2019 Mustang Bullitt. The S550 Mustangs are very nice machines, they sound nice, haul a$$, you can still get a manual and they are reasonably priced. If you like V8 sounds, try a Mustang. I never would have guessed I would be an owner but the sounds are intoxicating. Good luck with your decision

Mattk
Mattk New Reader
8/7/24 6:17 p.m.

In reply to imgon :

I agree with this post. I have a 2022 mustang gt. I was never interested in mustangs. But, options for decent power, manual transmission, and back seats is slim. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my mustang when I took it for a test drive. Plus the coyote motor sounds amazing. I definitely would add it to the list of prospects 

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
8/7/24 6:20 p.m.

To me, the agility and connectedness of Miata is what makes them fun-to-drive. Nearly intuitive, they just invite play. By the same token, I love the gut punch a V-8 delivers...and the noise!  I think a manual is a must, but I imagine a good dual clutch auto would do the trick too, although I've never driven one and they seem scarce and somewhat exotic. Porsche strikes me the same way, but again no first hand experience. Fun trumps fuel economy every time in my book, at least at this point of the game.

Did I tell you I'm kinda cheap, too? Healthy aftermarket, cheapish consumables and approachable support community mean a lot to me as I learn about today's performance world.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
8/7/24 6:39 p.m.

My sister is selling her Acura TL SH-AWD stick shift.

it's a semi-luxury mid sized sedan with a pretty healthy amount of power for giggles without being overwhelming (turn off TC in a Mustang/Corvette and they like to head to the ditch). Listing and pics over in the for sale page.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/7/24 6:48 p.m.

You should

buy my R53 Cooper S. 
adult owned, go-fast goodies installed already. 

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
8/7/24 7:22 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

That's an older one, right? Don't know the designators. Ad somewhere?

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
8/7/24 7:23 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

I looked but no joy. Can you link to ad?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/7/24 9:19 p.m.

In reply to carbidetooth :

Cayman is a great answer.  

I see you mention the Nissan 400z and looking for used to keep the price down.  If it is the 3.0t,  400hp engine that you want, the Infiniti Q60 has offfer that engine since 2017.  Generally the same chassis with a little stretch to add a slight back seat.  Or, there is also a Q60 convertible if that's your thing.  For the Infiniti and the Nissan 400z, I consider this car to be more of a Grand Tourer than others on your list.  

If you look at the Q60 than I think you have to look at the Lexus RC 350 also.  There is a blue RC in my neighborhood that I admire.  

Many say the RC should be a real, Toyota built Supra.  Since we've now mentioned Supra, what about the much overlooked "other Supra",  the BMW Z4 coupe?  

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/7/24 9:31 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

My son just bought a RC350 and it is a very fun car as well as being really comfortable.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/7/24 9:59 p.m.

I'll throw something else out there that might be fun in a different way to the Mazda's you've had, Subaru WRX. If your roads are crappy or there are nice gravel roads to explore I think this would be a lot of fun. Subaru's eat up E36 M3ty roads, roads that will have you slowing or avoiding in any of the above are perfect for them.

30k lets you buy something newer or blow up an older one a few times!

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
8/7/24 11:15 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

I suspect my interest in the Z has more to do with nostalgia than anything else. Years ago I owned couple of BMWs and have to say they were solid, particularly the in-line six, but seemed overly complex in some ways and parts spendy. I hadn't really considered the Z4, but have liked the kinda quirky looks since the original clown shoe. I'll nose around.

The Lexus grill takes quirky to a new level for me and it's gotta be one of the few cars I'd nix on looks alone. Looks like a shop vac attachment. The grand touring aspect is appealing on some levels, but not what I'm looking for at this point. Maybe when I get really old!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/7/24 11:26 p.m.
carbidetooth said:

I'm pretty simplistic in my tastes... Quirky is good, exotic not-so-much. Practicality not so important

Mostly a buzz around town car...something to make me smile when I drive it and not be a work-in-progress

Simplistic
Quirky
Not Practical (near zero storage space)
Buzz and Smile!
Reliable

$7,400 sample

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/24 5:58 a.m.

I have a z4 M coup. Tripple black car.  I am asking 35 but would consider offers. If I remember it has about 70k on it but I have several cars and can never keep the millage straight. I can check if you are interested. These are photos from when I got it last fall. I put a new headliner in it as the original one was starting to sag. Reason for selling is I also have an e60 m5. I just don't drive this car.  

New Michelins. Interior and exterior in excellent condition. This is an exceptionally nice one. Almost to nice to rack up the miles on. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
8/8/24 9:05 a.m.
carbidetooth said:

To me, the agility and connectedness of Miata is what makes them fun-to-drive. Nearly intuitive, they just invite play. By the same token, I love the gut punch a V-8 delivers...and the noise!  I think a manual is a must, but I imagine a good dual clutch auto would do the trick too, although I've never driven one and they seem scarce and somewhat exotic. Porsche strikes me the same way, but again no first hand experience. Fun trumps fuel economy every time in my book, at least at this point of the game.

Did I tell you I'm kinda cheap, too? Healthy aftermarket, cheapish consumables and approachable support community mean a lot to me as I learn about today's performance world.

You already have a (2) miata. I would go for something sports carish with a totally different vibe. Mustang/Camaro V8 noises would be a good fit I think. e90 m3. Cayman. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/8/24 9:37 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Reason for selling is I also have an e60 m5.

An e60 M5 is on my list of BMWs to own. Please keep me in mind if/when you decide to relinquish it. :)

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/8/24 9:56 a.m.
carbidetooth said:

To me, the agility and connectedness of Miata is what makes them fun-to-drive. Nearly intuitive, they just invite play. By the same token, I love the gut punch a V-8 delivers...and the noise!  I think a manual is a must

Sounds like you need to drive a Corvette. And the previously mentioned 86. 

A couple of interesting wild cards - Maserati Grand Tourismo and Aston Martins might slip into your price range. Maintenance would probably be as annoying as the other German options though. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
8/8/24 12:15 p.m.

Hard to beat a c5, c6 in performance per dollar. $30k would get you a c6 gs, which has great bones as a track car. (dry sump, etc) If you don't plan on doing much to it, a c5z would be a nice choice in the low $20's, sometimes high teens. If you are open to mods the base c5's are a tremendous value. You'll have plenty to exorcise any of the cruiser genes out of it. See my project thread. Base c6's need most of the same stuff as base c5's but you might be happier with the interior. Plenty of small reasons to pick up one. ECBMs, better PCM, better parts availability. Avoid 2005. Get the z51. I'd personally opt for a 2008+ with the ls3 in it if I were looking for one. C7s are starting to get down there too, it would be a stretch, but a c7 z51 would be a good buy.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/8/24 12:54 p.m.

I'd test-drive a Mustang GT as well. $30k should get a pretty nice one. 

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
8/8/24 1:03 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's an interesting offer, but it breaks a kinda rigid rule I set early on. While the color trend rolls toward blacks and grays, my just say no to "beat-em-up" car wash ethic steers me toward lighter colors. Like the look, but not the work it takes to keep it that way.  Thanks for the offer, though.

carbidetooth
carbidetooth New Reader
8/8/24 1:16 p.m.

Curiously, I'm trading my GF out of her '06 Mustang GT which I'll turn around and sell. It's got a zillion miles and just needs too much to be right and tight. 2010-2014 Mustangs have been on my list, and then off, and then on...

I'm old and just never embraced front wheel drive. I know, I know, stuck in the mud! There's a nice looking GTI on Cars and Bids this morning. I'll watch.

Vettes are interesting to me. Thanks for the rundown as I really haven't kept track over the years.

It occurs to me that I may be looking at this in the same light as car purchases in the past. Rather than a long-term relationship, perhaps more of a shorter-term romance would suit me better at this juncture.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lD3Oj69bqd7ZAMBy4iWiXbTaNXGVW5TxmpRplhmyCYaucymCRCuA2qIJhZbBQ03P