1 2 3
CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/4/11 12:15 p.m.

I had a '99 F250 Powerstroke and the ride was very comfortable for long trips. If you're used to an ITR, it'll be no problem. Also for towing thru the PA mountains (I make the trip several times per year MI to DE), you'll want extra braking capacity, so make sure the trailer has at least dual axle brakes.

There is a place near Newark DE that sells very lightweight open steel trailers (1300# dual axle w/ brakes) that I bought my old trailer from (I forget the name, but 302-386-9534 is the number).

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
8/4/11 12:40 p.m.
IntegraR0064 wrote: So a lot of people are suggesting things with 5k lb tow ratings. How is it towing something very close to 5k lbs on something with a 5k tow rating? I had heard that it's pretty miserable and hard on the vehicle, so I kind of ruled that out. Was I wrong to do that?

If you're only doing occassional towing, you'll be fine. I use our family truckster, a Kia Sedona minivan. It's rated at 3500lbs towing. I have a tow dolly and with my car on it, I'm about 3000lbs total. I won't lie and say it's like just like driving normally. It's not...I know the dolly is behind me. But it's not major drama as long as you drive smart. Like you, I only tow once in a brief while. I had the tranny fluid flushed and will do it frequently. The van does just fine towing. If you're only towing into/out of the mountains once or twice, you should have no problems. I live near Allentown. I plan on towing to Pocono Raceway this year, maybe Watkins Glen if money allows.

By the way, if you're in Phoenixville, you should check out Phoenix Performance. They're a factory backed Subaru race team. Incredible shop, great bunch of guys.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
8/4/11 2:44 p.m.

I asked myself this same question last Summer. We were using my buddy's Trailblazer SS (now for sale) to tow and it was awesome power with that LS2. It is thirsty though, but worth it.

I decided on a 2007 Tahoe. First year of the new body and interior...it is Caddy nice! It tows nice and it is a comfy luxury DD for days when the weather isn't good for the Miata or M3. I was back and forth with the Grand Cherokee (WK) with the HEMI, but the horrible interior and far more complicated V8 was the deal breaker. That and the Tahoe has far more interior room and gets as good if not better gas mileage. The HEMI is awesome though...

They are at the top of your budget though for even the base model.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/4/11 3:52 p.m.

tow rig and trailer $9k

On a 4x4 board I frequent. This guy was selling his whole package of stuff, all he has left is the tow rig and trailer. It's in your budget, and looks pretty bad ass.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
8/4/11 7:41 p.m.

Definately agree with the full size van idea, conversion or not the space in amazing compared to a turck, you can carry all your expensive tools and spares inside and secure and dry, while alot of conversion vans are on a 1/2 ton chassis there are plenty out there on the 3/4 or 1 ton chassis as at one time they were quite propular for the family towing a good sized camper set.

I have been towing my Civic for three years with an 86 G20 (light duty 3/4 ton) GMC passenger van. I have no rear seats but built in a "L" couch that coverts to a bed and has storage inside. I can haul 12 foot lumber in a pinch inside and 10 foot no problem.

As for access for repairs some things are tougher to reach but most are right there when you pull the dog house (5 min job)

I know they aren't as sexy as a pickup but that works to your favor on the used market. Just do a straight search on ebay for VAN in cars and trucks section to see just what kind of stuff is out there.

IntegraR0064
IntegraR0064 New Reader
8/4/11 7:58 p.m.

thanks for the link sachilles - I think that's a little too much for my needs though.

Everyone's really selling me on the van idea...thanks for all the info. Now I just have to convince my wife that we're not buying a rape van.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
8/4/11 8:35 p.m.

Well, here we are on page 2 and no one has suggested the Chevy Astro / GMC Safari vans.
Not as big as a full size van and not as big a tow capacity either at 5,000lbs but a good compromise on both fronts. They were made new until 2005 and they have the stout 4.3L V6 engine. Can be found in all price ranges. Available with AWD as well.
Less rape-ie than the full sizers.
Typical example: '00 w/ 99k and awd at $4.7k
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2521097906.html

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
8/4/11 8:40 p.m.

I'd say conversion van. You can always find decent ones for sale. They get the same mileage as a pickup does (maybe a little worse). They have 2 rows of rear seats and you can always remove the rear one for extra space and most conversion van companies make one of the rear seats convertible into a bed.

I had a friend who had a 2000 GMC Savana domed conversion van with rear air shocks and a trailer brake controller. He pulled a 25' enclosed car trailer and never had a problem. Yeah it was a gas hog, but it got the job done and it was much smaller than a RV, but had the towing capacity of a full-size pickup. He only used it 5 or 6 times a year (and maybe for misc jobs). He could also license it as an RV so it was cheaper insurance and licence plate renewal.

He sold it and special ordered a 2006 E250 conversion van with a Power Stroke.

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
8/4/11 10:28 p.m.

I would say a crew cab Titan, or a Tahoe if you want climate-controlled storage. A Tundra is going to be outside your price range.

Corey seems to have had a good experience with his Tahoe for a long time - and he puts 20,000+ towing miles a year on it, and Rob L's Titan has towed his Solstice and our Lemons cars all over the place. I've driven Rob's truck a few times, and it drives really well.

Either of those should be well within your price range.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/4/11 11:25 p.m.

Î guess it depends on how worried you are about the wear on the truck, but you might want to look for a 3/4 ton Dodge pickup with a Cummins or an F250 with a Powerstroke.

Both would be well above the 70k you mentioned before they make it into your budget, but they should last a while either way.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/4/11 11:31 p.m.

In reply to IntegraR0064:

I'm still rooting for conversion van, so I found some CL listings near you. They are way under your price range. There are many more but I found the ones with the best pictures.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2521076473.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2528784459.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/2493891222.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2443634311.html

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
8/5/11 5:02 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

I hate you.... That first Chevy looks nice... Anyone want to buy a Cummins 4x4?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
8/5/11 10:03 a.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: I hate you.... That first Chevy looks nice... Anyone want to buy a Cummins 4x4?

I would if I had the money

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/5/11 10:08 a.m.

SUV

Multi-purpose - since it is going to be a DD - you can use it to tow - take people out to dinner - throw a cargo blanket in the back for dirty stuff, etc. etc.

For the money I would suggest a Trailblazer or Tahoe. Avoid the 2002-2010 Explorers they apparantly had tranny issues even with the V8.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
8/5/11 10:52 a.m.

Much overlooked but my Liberty with trailer package served me quite well for nearly eight years, towing 4K lbs all over the northe east.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/5/11 1:26 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Much overlooked but my Liberty with trailer package served me quite well for nearly eight years, towing 4K lbs all over the northe east.

If you can find the diesel, it goes up to 5000 lbs.

One of my club mates just bought one. I'd totally go for one.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
8/5/11 5:38 p.m.

Mine was gas and rated 5000 lbs with the tow package.

ToddTCE
ToddTCE
8/5/11 6:29 p.m.

Used ambulance.

F350/450 Chassis. Diesel. Usually extensive maintenance records. From the right place; little rust.

The real reason: it has everything you'd want at the track: Lights, A/C (often dual), more lights, power (12v and 110) a place to sit/lie and storage up the wazoo- inside and outside.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
8/5/11 10:49 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Less rape-ie than the full sizers.

Well im out!

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
8/6/11 10:15 a.m.

Completely overkill for what you are looking for but semi local to you (just on the NJ side of Philadelphia) and waaaay below your budget

:)

Or optionally I was offered this for the truck, I dont need it but if someone did I'd make the trade and sell for the price I was asking for the truck

Teggsan
Teggsan New Reader
8/7/11 11:01 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

My real life mileage in the 7.3L Excursion is about 15 MPG in mixed driving. I might get 16-18 on the highway.

You should expect the same or a little worse out of a pickup truck.

You MIGHT be able to get 20ish MPG out of the 6.0L diesel.

fifty
fifty Reader
8/7/11 11:27 a.m.

If you're looking for mileage, research the Chevy Trailblazer and it's corporate cousin the Envoy. The V6 gets a real world 20mpg hwy and can tow around 5500#. They are reliable, easily fixed and dirt cheap to buy. There's an extended wheelbase version if you need a 7 seater, and even a bizarre looking one that transforms into a type of pickup (can't remember the model designation for that one)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/7/11 12:01 p.m.

My old one, awesome in every way unless towing up a ice covered driveway with a 4000lb car on a 3000lb trailer

Photobucket

My current one works on ice also

Photobucket

Both seat 7, have comfortable ride, get around 17mpg without the trailer and wife loves them, of course helps if the wife is a truck chick

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/7/11 12:39 p.m.

BTW neither of them cost me $2K.

The van towed from Ohio to the Mitty, the Challenge, and did at least 10 car retrievals from MI, TX, OK, VA and many more

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington HalfDork
8/7/11 6:29 p.m.
fifty wrote: If you're looking for mileage, research the Chevy Trailblazer and it's corporate cousin the Envoy. The V6 gets a real world 20mpg hwy and can tow around 5500#. They are reliable, easily fixed and dirt cheap to buy. There's an extended wheelbase version if you need a 7 seater, and even a bizarre looking one that transforms into a type of pickup (can't remember the model designation for that one)

I believe that was the Envoy XUV.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RhoJ1NHogcKvFqUxtPqKQGh1j8UIk65cad43uSmBFbUyYRmNyJVm3MMDVNMhcD5q