freetors
freetors Reader
10/19/18 9:45 p.m.

I remember seeing on the internet, probably around 10 years ago, some pictures and a description of a really cool track day car that was being built by a small company. Unfortunately I never saved any of the pics, forgot their name, and now I can't find anything about them at all. I believe the company may have been based around SoCal, at least all the on track pics I saw looked pretty deserty. The car itself was a very minimalist design. It had little or no bodywork. IIRC you could fully see the driver. It had a tube frame. It had a motorcycle engine (I'm thinking it was designed around 600cc?). Now here is the unique part: it had no rear suspension! I remember the builder saying something along the lines of when they were designing the car, every time they reduced the amount of suspension the car went faster, so they eventually just got rid of it. The car also used a solid, kart style axle. I believe it had a minimalist front suspension but my memory is getting fuzzy. It may or may not have had wings. It was very lightweight, as you would expect.

So does anybody else remember this? Because I'm drawing blanks.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
10/19/18 10:39 p.m.

I'm unfamiliar but also intrigued!

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
10/19/18 11:06 p.m.
freetors
freetors Reader
10/20/18 8:04 a.m.

In reply to 2GRX7 :

No it's definitely not that. Nice try though. The car I'm thinking of was larger and much more low profile.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/20/18 8:23 a.m.

The Hyper Pro Racer?  Basically a powerful shifter kart with minimal suspension and a cage.

EDIT:  I see somebody bet me to it.  I don't know of anything else without rear suspension from that time period.  Are you thinking more the scale of a Palatov D2?  

Or a D4?

pirate
pirate Reader
10/20/18 8:41 a.m.

There was a England based company that had a single US distributor that offered 5 or 6 kit cars. One of the cars offered was a tube frame car powered by a Hayabusa engine. It was chain drive but rear end was independent. Could be made street legal. I don’t think the car was offered in US and eventually company dropped it from its product line. Car was called Mevabusa and company name was Exomotive.

freetors
freetors Reader
10/20/18 9:10 a.m.

No it's none of those things either. It looked closer in concept to like a big f-mod car, but without bodywork. And it didn't have rear suspension.

freetors
freetors Reader
10/20/18 9:21 a.m.

It's also really frustrating trying to google this car. Every permutation of keywords I can think of to describe this thing just ends up returning the same 68 million irrelevant hits. I've been trying things like "race car no rear suspension with motorcycle engine" etc. It's hard to be more specific without actually knowing the name!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/20/18 9:44 a.m.
freetors said:

It's also really frustrating trying to google this car. Every permutation of keywords I can think of to describe this thing just ends up returning the same 68 million irrelevant hits. I've been trying things like "race car no rear suspension with motorcycle engine" etc. It's hard to be more specific without actually knowing the name!

Try a few different search engines. Google isn't the only one.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
10/20/18 11:04 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:
Try a few different search engines. Google isn't the only one.

Wait, WHAT?!!!!surprise

8valve
8valve Reader
10/20/18 11:23 a.m.

Lawson and Graves have been playing around with R6 powered Karts in socal for a while. Even some R1 powered ones.  But those are "super karts" more than cars. 

Why so hell bent on finding this company?  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZmroqr8yI

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
10/20/18 11:29 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

The Hyper Pro Racer?  Basically a powerful shifter kart with minimal suspension and a cage.

EDIT:  I see somebody bet me to it.  I don't know of anything else without rear suspension from that time period.  Are you thinking more the scale of a Palatov D2?  

Somebody? SOMEBODY?!! Sir, the name's 2GRX7!!!wink

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
10/20/18 11:30 a.m.

In reply to 8valve :

OH MY!!! I love those!!!

freetors
freetors Reader
10/20/18 12:12 p.m.
8valve said:

Lawson and Graves have been playing around with R6 powered Karts in socal for a while. Even some R1 powered ones.  But those are "super karts" more than cars. 

Why so hell bent on finding this company?  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dZmroqr8yI

You sir, may have won! That looks very, very similar to what was stuck in my head. I don't remember it having bodywork but stuff like that could always be added/subtracted. Looks like there is/was a small racing series for those https://www.racingjunk.com/news/2014/03/20/formula-pacific-affordable-grassroots-racing/

I'm mainly interested in finding it because I have a huge interest in alternative suspension systems, or lack thereof, in this case. And I wanted to see there engineering and design around that.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
10/20/18 12:14 p.m.

but you are probably talking about this one:

You actually posted about it in this thread

Edit: posted at almost the exact time.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/20/18 5:08 p.m.

not DP cars is it they make things that fit that description.

https://dpcars.net/dp1v8/20170728_133033.jpg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MtTPqaZIDC28uoXQ2Rge9uJbKpIYy6ZtpEGGtXNXOtSfWy0BvydDdaQfLAxaV4Nf