1 2 3 4
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/17 12:35 p.m.

OK, so I've had a ton of positive feedback ever since I built the fiberglass fastback for my Miata (The Mumpkin). The lines and the look are great, but I wasn't experienced enough with the glass work to do a quality job worthy of being sold.

All that is about to change...

I am meeting with a friend tomorrow who is a professional fiberglass boat builder. He makes all the prototypes for Caravelle, so he's no slouch. He's always looking for ways to diversify, and has never had a window into the automotive world. We will be looking at making a professional mold of the Mumpkin, and offering parts for sale.

The goals will be:

• Lightweight, but strong

• Simple installation (The Mumpkin's fastback latches into the existing OEM soft top latches)

• Fit over a roll bar

• Fit over a soft top (opened)

• Completely reversible- no modifications to the car

• Modify the shape to accommodate the fuel filler

• Offer versions with fixed Lexan windows

• Perhaps add a duck tail

• Paint ready

For those who don't remember, here are a couple of pics of the Mumpkin:

Give me some feedback...

Any interest? What is a worthwhile price point? What improvements would you make? How would you market something like this?

Because it is such a huge piece, I probably won't be able to ship it (which will limit my sales). But, if I can have some success with this, we will certainly be considering other automotive parts opportunities.

Any suggestions for other parts that could be made?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/17/17 12:47 p.m.
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/17/17 1:02 p.m.

As someone who's looking at hardtops for their Miata I'll show interest. I'd want access to the trunk though. I'd even remove my trunk lid if the fastback had a lift up section. What kind of finish are you looking at? Bare shell minus glass/lexan? I'd even be willing to come pick it up on the off chance I could talk you out of some of your hoard.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/17 1:07 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Interestingly, the link you provided can't complete a sale, because it can't calculate shipping. I think it will cost more than $1750 by the time it gets to it's destination...

But thanks. That's a number I can work with.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/17 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

Trunk access offers a few complications...

• The OEM trunk deck has to be removed to do a fastback. The fastback replaces it.

• For a racing version, my trunk is accessible. You just have to lift off the fastback.

• The fastback COULD be made with a lift gate, but that would be significantly more complicated (and costly). Probably only makes sense on the street. Maybe an option for a street version...

• What kind of finish makes sense? I'm thinking paint-ready, white gel coat, or black gel coat.

• Yes, probably bare shell.

Any time you show up, I'd gladly part with my hoard. I am in scale-down mode. I've really got to move some stuff (and still have that Caddy you want).

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
3/17/17 1:28 p.m.

I would try to keep it just under $2000 and see how much value you can put in and still make some kind of margin. As mentioned, shipping could be the deal breaker.

The other question is what level of finish is provided at the cost? I ask because your competition is partly a used factory hardtop and those seem to go for around $800.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/17 1:33 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Good point. For racing, that probably is my competition. Maybe the value is more in the appearance, which has less to do with racing...

Pretty sure I can keep a base model under $2K.

The cheapest way for me to ship it is probably to load 10 on a trailer and take them to one destination.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/17 1:37 p.m.

Keep in mind...

This is one part. If I can sell a few a year, it would probably break even, which would be enough incentive for me to come up with a wider range of parts available, many of which would be easier to ship.

I don't have to make a killing on this one part.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/17 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

I wasn't saying I can't do an operable trunk. I was saying the price point might not make sense.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
3/17/17 1:49 p.m.

Since it replace the trunk lid, couldn't you sort of access the trunk from inside?

To access the fuel filler would you just make a little notch in the top?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
3/17/17 1:58 p.m.

I thought you can already get a glass lightweight hardtop for a Miata for like 750$. I personally would not want something that blocks the rear sight lines the way that does and I imagine safety inspectors would say the same thing.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/17/17 2:12 p.m.

http://www.miataturbo.net/general-miata-chat-9/new-fastback-top-coming-miata-market-54489/page15/
Warhorse Performance tried to develop and market a fastback, but I don't think it ever got off the ground due to price point. It was close to $3K with them supplying windows. There might be a mold available if the fellow gave up.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/17/17 2:26 p.m.

Honestly, there isn't a market for it. Call me a Debbie Downer, a naysayer, whatever, there just isn't a market for it.

Because the only people interested in buying one are the same type of people that buy BC coilovers. And they aren't going to pay what's necessary for you to produce a product to the type of quality you want.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/17/17 2:28 p.m.

I think it is a cool idea. There seems to be a market for fastbacks for the Miata. I recently saw The Smoking Tire review a sweet looking widebody Miata with a fastback. Looks like it has a functional trunk that is accessible from outside. It looked fantastic.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/17 2:29 p.m.
Toebra wrote: Since it replace the trunk lid, couldn't you sort of access the trunk from inside? To access the fuel filler would you just make a little notch in the top?

Yes, I can access it from inside. Sort of. Roll bar plus seats makes it really tight.

Fuel filler is either a notch, or a narrowed rear slope. Other option would be a relocated filler.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
3/17/17 2:36 p.m.

If you can keep the rear window location flat then glass or lexan are both options, and cheap to source locally. If it needs to curve, try to keep it in a single direction for the lexan crowd or better yet using a readily available window or hatch from something already available. I'd look into using a glass sunroof for the back window if it were my baby.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/17/17 2:56 p.m.

I know that I would be willing to go 1500 or so for one that needs windows and paint. I know that everyone seems to love the looks, but im not sure how big the market really is.

And gelcoat white would be the best way. All the aftermarket fiberglass parts ive ever bought come that way.

And ducktail would rock.

The only thing I can think of that may be a fly in the ointment is na/nb fitment. You don't want to limit the potential market, so if possible it would need to fit both.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/17/17 7:23 p.m.

There HAS to be a market for something like this but I don't know how much of this is mass-producible

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/IMG_5508.jpg.html][/URL]

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
3/17/17 9:55 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Any suggestions for other parts that could be made?

My buddy just started a new GT-3 chassis, and we could use new na bodywork...

photo 20141116_162738_zps3cugk8ku.jpg

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/17/17 10:15 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:

All right. Who's Google Fu is good enough to tell me who makes that top, and what the price is?

Stampie
3/17/17 10:26 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

This implies it's a custom build. Build me one like it and I'll test it for you at no cost.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/no-hearts-broken-custom-miata-never-rests

Stampie
3/17/17 10:50 p.m.

Actually the more I look the more I think it's the same one EvanB posted above.

Google images

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/18/17 5:08 a.m.

In reply to SVreX:

If you're going to offer it in white and black, it's seems like red would also be an obvious choice since that's the color of most Miatas.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
3/18/17 7:15 a.m.

What about a fastback sort of like the back half of the new RF? If it extended the top roof line a bit, it would give your buyer the option of keeping the soft top or possibly putting in a roll bar that would actually protect someone taller than 5'3". Running a pillar down onto the rear fender would give the look of a fastback while keeping the function of the trunk. The rear window could be straight and more easily sourced. I assume the factory mount points would work for attachment, and shipping might be less of an issue because it would be at least a little smaller.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/18/17 7:28 a.m.
Stampie wrote: Actually the more I look the more I think it's the same one EvanB posted above. Google images

I agree. It looks like the same one, just better pictures. While it looks like the rear half of the top could open for trunk access, apparently it does not. I'm sure that could be fixed with some modifications. I agree easy trunk access would be mandatory for a street version.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9SkrJ8F1svTF9RPiuiygjrK2SV0erFsFiMiPrrGImNlKgxlo1ZCpE9SxFtBRf5jF