1 2
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/18/14 1:03 p.m.

Well as the titles says, I've got a broken EZ out on a bolt in an engine block. The block is on a stand, so at least I don't have to deal with in the truck. The original hole in the bolt was off center, so I tried to drill a small hold underneath the broken EZ out. I'll likely be drilling for hours with this option.

Any alternatives? I do not have access to a welder. I do have access to heat. Is there a strong enough bit that can cut through hardened steel? Is it available at a hardware store?

I gave myself a headache with this last night.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/18/14 1:04 p.m.

Ugggggghhhhh... I've thrown away calipers because of this.

The EZ out is the ultimate "Give a Mouse a Cookie" tool.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/18/14 1:09 p.m.

Is the EZ out broken off flush or sticking out some? If sticking out, prying it out of the hole and trying again is probably the best bet. If flush, you're pretty much berkeleyed. Many, many dremel cutoff wheels?

Maybe go for a record- get some good carbide drill bits, stick an EZ out in the EZ out, and go from doubleberkeleyed to tripleberkeleyed.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/14 1:10 p.m.

If broken off flush, the only thing that might do it is a cobalt drill bit. Ask me how I know...

Welding a nut on is a better option though.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/14 1:14 p.m.
NONACK wrote: Maybe go for a record- get some good carbide drill bits, stick an EZ out in the EZ out, and go from doubleberkeleyed to tripleberkeleyed.

Yo dawg I heard you like EZ-outs, so I put an EZ-out in your EZ-out so you can break one off while you broke one off

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
7/18/14 1:25 p.m.

If you can get it hot enough, as in glowing red, you will be able to drill the easy out

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
7/18/14 1:28 p.m.

BTDT. Make friends with someone who has a welder. Quickly. Stand on the corner with a sign that says "Will trade beer for welding."

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
7/18/14 1:31 p.m.

EZ outs are the devil.

I have never had one that stuck, mostly because I do not use them, but a welder is your best bet. Drilling it is only going to make it mad. Those things are hard. Can you borrow one?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/18/14 1:44 p.m.

Carbide bit will drill it out, or take advantage of it being near glass hard and try to break it apart with a center punch.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
7/18/14 1:45 p.m.

New block from the junkyard?

old_
old_ Reader
7/18/14 1:52 p.m.

Heat and reverse drill bit

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
7/18/14 1:59 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: The EZ out is the ultimate "Give a Mouse a Cookie" tool.

I nominate that for "Say What?"

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
7/18/14 2:06 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: EZ outs are the devil. I have never had one that stuck, mostly because I do not use them, but a welder is your best bet. Drilling it is only going to make it mad. Those things are hard. Can you borrow one?

And this one sounds like it was produced by a meme generator.

Easy outs are awesome tools when used correctly. I am the berkeleying master of the broken bolt, and have never broken an easy out in a hole. I AM the guy who gets called to get them, and broken taps out 100% of the time.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/18/14 2:11 p.m.

Well there you have it Appleseed, all you need to do is buy ZW a round trip flight so that you may be blessed by the pope of pulling out

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
7/18/14 2:11 p.m.

Last couple of times, eye protection and a center punch, but I am usually mad and in a hurry.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/14 2:19 p.m.
Don49 wrote: If you can get it hot enough, as in glowing red, you will be able to drill the easy out

wear at least 2 long sleeve shirts when doing this method

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
7/18/14 2:22 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
tuna55 wrote: EZ outs are the devil. I have never had one that stuck, mostly because I do not use them, but a welder is your best bet. Drilling it is only going to make it mad. Those things are hard. Can you borrow one?
And this one sounds like it was produced by a meme generator. Easy outs are awesome tools when used correctly. I am the berkeleying master of the broken bolt, and have never broken an easy out in a hole. I AM the guy who gets called to get them, and broken taps out 100% of the time.

And that right there is why...

I have never met a bolt I could remove either, but I don't ever use EZ outs.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
7/18/14 6:55 p.m.

I have used diamond tipped bits and dremel . Usually work around it until I get the piece freed up.

Tralfaz
Tralfaz Reader
7/18/14 7:22 p.m.

Drill a series of holes in the block around the broken bolt until you can get some pliers on it.

And done.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
7/18/14 7:52 p.m.

Carefully pour a tiny bit of muriatic acid into the gap and flutes between the EZ and bolt.
A little plastic bottle with fine tip or eyedropper works well for this.
Will help to thoroughly degrease with brake cleaner first.
The acid will penetrate and eat the surfaces of the EZ and the bolt equally.
Might have to flush and add fresh acid a couple of times.
(BTW, wear gloves and eye protection)
After 5-10 thou has been eaten away, the EZ will no longer be stuck, and can be carefully unscrewed
with needle nose tips stuck into the flutes.
Then you are back to only dealing with the broken off bolt.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
7/18/14 8:07 p.m.

Heat both ez-out and bolt until hot as you can or orange then jam a candle yup a candle on it. It will melt and spit and smolder keep the pressure on the candle then grab the needle nose and turn out the ez-out

f6sk
f6sk Reader
7/18/14 8:20 p.m.

Welding a nut on it is really the best option. Since it is on a stand it should be pretty easy to transport to a friend with a welder. I wouldn't bother drilling more holes. It is impossible to get them right, and then you'd have a huge messed up hole to repair. But if you do it anyway, this is the ideal way to repair your messed up oversized hole... Time Sert

bL79
bL79 New Reader
7/19/14 12:59 a.m.

If you can't weld something to it and you're not trying to sit around all day drilling/otherwise dicking around you can try taking it to a machine shop with an EDM machine. Dunno how assembled it is but EDM is the answer when it comes to things broken in holes.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/19/14 1:31 a.m.

UPDATE: I AM ALL THAT IS MAN! Ended up using one of these to grind away at it. Thanks Dremel.

Took some time, but there was no way to get it to someone with a welder today. Hogged it out until the EZ tip fell out. Then I just rounded out the hole as best I could. I just used a progression of drill bits to enlarge the hole until it just touched the threads. What was left of the threads just fell out. Yay! Then it was just a manor of running a thread chaser down the hole.

Lesson learned.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
7/19/14 5:12 a.m.

You da man!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FCJVk7j8ppLO1hCDktdXNxAGlHtnXRlNO4qU9f7azh80u3xrkDhd2RlJlWlfwGU5