m_walker26
m_walker26 Reader
2/28/20 10:08 a.m.

Recently my son John bought a used 2018 Toyota Highlander.   Brought it home, gave it to his wife to drive.    After a couple of weeks she started noticing a urine smell in the vehicle.   Upon investigation he found a mouse nest in the engine bay.  He removed the mouse nest and mess but did not find the mouse.   

He asked me for ideas on how to get rid of the mouse.    I am asking for help from the hive.

Mark

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 10:11 a.m.

I bought some bags of mint, maybe from Home Depot or Lowes. They look like tea bags, don't smell bad at all, and seem to have worked for the past few years.

No Time
No Time Dork
2/28/20 10:13 a.m.
Woody said:

I bought some bags of mint, maybe from Home Depot or Lowes. They look like tea bags, don't smell bad at all, and seem to have worked for the past few years.

Sounds reasonable and cleaner than peppermint oil. 

I use peppermint oil to keep the mice from making their home in my shed and snowmobiles. Seemed to work well in the past for winter storage of boats and campers. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/20 10:20 a.m.

Cat

Seriously. I had a mouse in the Boxster. I let the car in the garage for a day. No more mouse.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/20 10:23 a.m.

I can't imagine how many cars I have brought home with mice in them, and mice that have moved in over the winter.  My then dog would love to harass them into leaving.  I watched one run out of a volkswagon van.

I have never done anything to get them to leave, they seem to leave once the vehicle is in use.

Don't sweat it, and let your dog or cat have fun in the car:  But watch the dog in case it wants to rip out something!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/28/20 10:31 a.m.

I recommend a snake. They can get into tighter quarters than a cat.  smiley

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
2/28/20 11:14 a.m.

Capsasin tape on the bottom of the car and where the nest was. That will keep them off the car and out of the wiring. 

TGMF
TGMF HalfDork
2/28/20 11:16 a.m.

Did the car come with the mouse pre-installed?

If so, clean the area where the nest was with bleach spray cleaner, possibly remove the wipers and cowel and wipe entire area with bleach cleaner so if mr. mouse comes back it all smells new and unfamiliar.  simply removing a nest with no further cleaning,  the little shmuck will find it's way right back assuming the mouse is still around. 

If it's a mouse local to their garage they need to start thinking about why it's there.  Food source is number one. Dog food, cat food, bird seed. Don't store any of that crap in your garage....ever. Soda cans/ unclean recycle materials/ trash is another draw.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/20 11:24 a.m.

I have heard that a black light (UV light) will show mouse urine locations, so you can focus your cleaning efforts. I haven't had occasion to try that. You can get a UV penlight from office supply stores, because they are also useful for checking for counterfeit bills.

emsalex
emsalex New Reader
2/28/20 11:47 a.m.

We got a mouse in our rouge. We did glue traps in the cargo area for awhile with no luck.

What ended up working was leaving an ozone generator running over night. The mouse is no longer active and it has been long enough I am confident it ran of rather than dieing in the car because there is no smell.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/20 12:02 p.m.

Victor snap trap. 

Drill a hole in it so you can tie it off with string to something. 

This is for if the mouse runs a little before dying you can follow the string and not have a dead mouse attached to a trap somewhere that isn't easily accessible. 

Did I say make the string short?  Do that.

Bait it with peanut butter.  Leave it on the floor mat.

Next day take out the dead mouse. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/28/20 1:25 p.m.

I chased a mouse around an Explorer for months. Finally left a live trap out in the floorboard baited with peanut butter and that worked. But it didn't work at night, the little bugger didn't come out until my wife parked the truck at work and it warmed up nicely. I guess they're not as nocturnal as I thought...

java230
java230 UberDork
2/28/20 1:34 p.m.

Snap trap worked for me.... But find where they are getting in....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CUH2GtZ3b3q9qxePsSfuzUlDMcmzgwIzgyXSIClHFQVYtxxolmTiQaYLyjy2S3Jk