DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/14/10 11:47 p.m.

EDIT - Screw it. This forum is being a PITA and won't let me post my pics. If you want to see it, go to http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=30780

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
8/15/10 12:11 a.m.

I like your DIY torque wrench calibration, will definitely be trying this at home.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/15/10 12:12 a.m.
ansonivan wrote: I like your DIY torque wrench calibration, will definitely be trying this at home.

Thanks. First time I've done it, but it worked really well.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/15/10 12:23 a.m.

Nice. How much $ do you have in your engine, if you don't mind my asking?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/15/10 12:25 a.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote: Nice. How much $ do you have in your engine, if you don't mind my asking?

I'll have about $2500 in parts, plus my labor. That's for the long block. Turbo, etc. is more.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/15/10 4:35 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
MrBenjamonkey wrote: Nice. How much $ do you have in your engine, if you don't mind my asking?
I'll have about $2500 in parts, plus my labor. That's for the long block. Turbo, etc. is more.

That's not nearly as bad as I expected. If I ever have another EF Civic (loved my 88 sedan) I guess it's not that expensive to stay with the D series instead of swapping to a B.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
8/15/10 10:05 a.m.

Good to see it all back together! If you need some TIG welding skills during the off-season to get your new manifold or piping done just let me know! I'm happy to work for beer/pizza on the GRM/solo folks cars.

In other news, I'm extremely tempted to build a D15 in this manner and stick it in my 79 civic

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
8/15/10 10:22 a.m.

I forget your last threads, how much horsePOWA were you making? This is somewhat relevant to my interests.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/15/10 11:23 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote: I forget your last threads, how much horsePOWA were you making? This is somewhat relevant to my interests.

Last engine was 202HP / 185 ft-lbs at the wheels. Positive manifold pressure by 1700RPM and peak torque at 2900. I figure that this one will do a bit better even with the same turbo setup, just based on the improved head. Maybe 225/200? The turbo that I have waiting in the wings should get me closer to 300HP if I so choose, while retaining all of the T25's low end prowess.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/15/10 11:51 a.m.
ansonivan wrote: I like your DIY torque wrench calibration, will definitely be trying this at home.

A few people (other boards included) have now commented on liking this method of torque wrench validation. Maybe GRM wants to publish it as a tech tip?

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
8/15/10 5:43 p.m.

Awesome!

More info on the turbo? I'm a complete noon when it comes to th booooooost!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/15/10 5:48 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Awesome! More info on the turbo? I'm a complete noon when it comes to th booooooost!

It's the bone stock turbo off of an early 90's DSM. For that matter, the injectors and intercooler are also DSM.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
8/15/10 5:57 p.m.

I meant your new one.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
8/15/10 6:00 p.m.

Very, very nice work.

That Summit stretch bolt gauge is quite a piece of work..

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/15/10 6:01 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: I meant your new one.

Oh. Yeah, that's a secret. :)

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
8/15/10 6:11 p.m.

Damn! I'll have to go do some research.

I'm very interested in Turbo cars now that I own one, although I plan on leaving it stock.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/15/10 10:59 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Damn! I'll have to go do some research. I'm very interested in Turbo cars now that I own one, although I plan on leaving it stock.

Get this book, which is, IMHO, the best turbo book out there:

http://www.amazon.com/Street-TurbochargingHP1488-Installation-High-Performance-Turbocharger/dp/1557884889/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281931138&sr=1-1

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/16/10 4:03 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
HiTempguy wrote: I forget your last threads, how much horsePOWA were you making? This is somewhat relevant to my interests.
Last engine was 202HP / 185 ft-lbs at the wheels. Positive manifold pressure by 1700RPM and peak torque at 2900. I figure that this one will do a bit better even with the same turbo setup, just based on the improved head. Maybe 225/200? The turbo that I have waiting in the wings should get me closer to 300HP if I so choose, while retaining all of the T25's low end prowess.

Wow, peak torque by 2900? Very un-Honda there. How well does it rev?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/16/10 5:44 a.m.

is that rusty weight NIST traceable.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/16/10 10:37 a.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Wow, peak torque by 2900? Very un-Honda there. How well does it rev?

It revs quite well. Fuel cut is at 7800RPM.

One thing that is nice about the torque is that 3rd gear isn't useless. We have found ourselves having to shift to third occasionally. At one event, the upshift was no problem, but the downshift just wasn't working. Anywhere you tried to downshift was a compromise. On my final run I upshifted to 3rd where needed and ran the remaining 20+ seconds of the course in 3rd. It was my fastest time.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/16/10 10:37 a.m.
ignorant wrote: is that rusty weight NIST traceable.

Of course it is.

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/16/10 8:26 p.m.

In reply to DILYSI Dave: Wow, 7800 RPM, peak torque at 2900 ... That's like a WRC car with 2000 extra rpm. I officially know who I'm going to annoy when it comes time to build my engine.

Did you go with a mild/stock cam to get the low end power and then use the large for a 1.6 turbo to keep it puffing up high?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/16/10 10:54 p.m.

The key to my build is the compression. Most people don't like throwing boost at compression. I do. The response is awesome, and as long as you have the fueling in order (E85 in my case) then it behaves just fine. Of course, I'm on the third iteration of the engine, so maybe they are smarter than me...

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
8/18/10 12:51 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: The key to my build is the compression. Most people don't like throwing boost at compression. I do. The response is awesome, and as long as you have the fueling in order (E85 in my case) then it behaves just fine. Of course, I'm on the third iteration of the engine, so maybe they are smarter than me...

Though this doesn't look like boost + compression had much to do with it

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/18/10 1:31 p.m.
sobe_death wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: The key to my build is the compression. Most people don't like throwing boost at compression. I do. The response is awesome, and as long as you have the fueling in order (E85 in my case) then it behaves just fine. Of course, I'm on the third iteration of the engine, so maybe they are smarter than me...
Though this doesn't look like boost + compression had much to do with it

Nah, in fact the pistons look VERY good if you ignore the damage from the dropped valve.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l17c7NAcRh9EGYXmRCe96nt7wyesTcdE3GA46LL5MOIgeZUyeQScvwzqRnUbqtPH