BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/24 1:42 p.m.

Been following Andy Hollis' tire tests and it looks like the ECS 02 is probably what I want to slap on my ND before my vaguely planned "Trackday at Laguna Seca" next year. But the Elise needs a set of new tires before the WV Hillclimb festival, too. I think AD08/AD09s are a pretty customary tires for an Elise so they're a safe choice, but I'm wondering if I should chance the ECS02s instead?

Yes, "overanalyze everything" is my middle name.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/24 4:38 p.m.

The ECS02s could get melty more easily after a few laps, the AD09s won't have that issue but also won't have the cold performance, or likely the wet performance of the ECS02.

spandak
spandak Dork
5/26/24 6:11 p.m.

Haven't really exercised the ECS 02 I put on my car but I can say that they ride very soft and compliant. Grip seems excellent on a freeway on ramp. That's all I've managed so far

BoxheadTim
5/26/24 8:35 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Wet performance is likely a concern around here, especially with the currrent weather patterns of high likelihood of E36 M3 weather on weeks.

BoxheadTim
5/26/24 8:35 p.m.

In reply to spandak :

"Soft and compliant" might come in handy when driving longer distances.

BoxheadTim
5/26/24 8:37 p.m.

I'll have to go back to the magazine and re-read the article. One characteristic that is important to me on the Elise are the breakaway characteristics as I'd prefer to have a tire that gives me decent notice before it lets go, especially given how abrupt breakaway was when I ended up in the scenery with it.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/24 9:08 p.m.

The AD09s are a bit knife-edgey while the ECS02s are more forgiving.

nsxmr2elises2000
nsxmr2elises2000 PowerDork
5/26/24 9:51 p.m.

on my elise i have had

ad07

a048 

ad09

r888

re71 

since new.

a052 which is what i run now has been the best 

BoxheadTim
5/27/24 10:12 a.m.

In reply to nsxmr2elises2000 :

Thanks, I'll add those to my consideration. They didn't show up in my original list, because it turns out the front tire isn't available in the size that's on my Elise - someone has replaced the 195/50/16 "Standard" size with a 205/45/16. That also made me wonder if that may have upset the fairly tight balance these cars have on account of having too much front grip.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
5/27/24 10:50 a.m.

How much track time you planning to put on these tires?

BoxheadTim
5/27/24 11:17 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

A fair amount - I mainly bought the Elise as a track sled, and my plan was to use it for Auto-X and track days (and apparently now also a hillclimb).

Of course I scared myself during the first Auto-X so there is that.

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
5/27/24 2:29 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Stock front ARB?

BoxheadTim
5/27/24 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Region_Rat :

I believe so, but that's based on my observation so far that pretty much everything under the car appears to be stock.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
5/28/24 9:33 a.m.

How about the Nankang CR-S?

BoxheadTim
5/28/24 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Didn't realize it's available in the correct sizes for my car. Probably because I was looking for the sizes that are currently on there.

Something to consider as well, probably want to re-read the tests for that tire as well.

BoxheadTim
5/28/24 11:48 a.m.

Just reread this test and the Nankang is a definite contender, especially as Andy mentioned that once hot, the A052 "becomes rather challenging to drive at the limit".

Given that I found the combination of car's limits and talent limit on the Else before, I think I don't need to liven things up a little more.

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
5/29/24 8:27 a.m.

I have been tracking my Elise with the ECS (not 02) for 8 track days over the last few years (rebuilding it took it out of comission for a few years in between). Of those, three have had rain and I was immensely grateful for the ECS' wet grip. Seriously, they make rainy track days an absolute blast, and you'll look like a hero. Super forgiving and high rain limits. With our narrow tires, they cut through heavy water better than they would on a larger car, too. Similar things with trips to the mountains where it rained. If there's a chance of rain, that tire is pretty hard to beat. In the dry, I have not had any problems with heat buildup since our cars are so light. I could see it chunking with a heavier car (read: 'light' by modern standards), but I've not had any issues. I'll report back after VIR this August now that I'm starting to pick up some speed, haha. 

I have not tried the 02 yet though, but it sounds like they didn't give up much wet grip and gained dry grip. Still, I am on the fence. I have started trailering, so having dedicated rain and dry tires is a possibility. I won't be changing tires though until I burn through this current set. At the rate they are wearing , they'll rot before the tread is worn down. 

BoxheadTim
5/31/24 8:56 a.m.

In reply to cyow5 :

Thanks for the feedback on the ECS, that's super helpful. Rain is obviously a concern for me at least until I've got the ND suitable kitted out for backup HPDE duty. Right now it looks like it's a decision between the ECS 02 and the Nankang CR-S, but while the Nankang is available in the "Sport package" sizes (although I don't think my car has the Sport package), the ECS02 is only availabe in the sizes that are currently on the car with the slightly upsized front (205/45/16 instead of 195/50/16).

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
5/31/24 9:27 a.m.

ECS02 has a rebate until the end of the day, $110 off a set of four.  I'm buying another set today.  

cyow5
cyow5 Reader
5/31/24 10:22 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to cyow5 :

Thanks for the feedback on the ECS, that's super helpful. Rain is obviously a concern for me at least until I've got the ND suitable kitted out for backup HPDE duty. Right now it looks like it's a decision between the ECS 02 and the Nankang CR-S, but while the Nankang is available in the "Sport package" sizes (although I don't think my car has the Sport package), the ECS02 is only availabe in the sizes that are currently on the car with the slightly upsized front (205/45/16 instead of 195/50/16).

If the door jamb sticker is stock and says 195, that's the LSS size. 175 is base. 

BoxheadTim
5/31/24 8:33 p.m.

In reply to cyow5 :

Door jamb sticker says 195. 

nsxmr2elises2000
nsxmr2elises2000 PowerDork
6/2/24 12:39 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to nsxmr2elises2000 :

Thanks, I'll add those to my consideration. They didn't show up in my original list, because it turns out the front tire isn't available in the size that's on my Elise - someone has replaced the 195/50/16 "Standard" size with a 205/45/16. That also made me wonder if that may have upset the fairly tight balance these cars have on account of having too much front grip.

yup - go back to stock sizes 

after 17 years of ownership amd trying other sizes - the sport package size is my favorite 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FKqlgRfejZdL3YA6IXGA6wdRRvprXZURzaPOSbEyCIojwv9ohl4CGsQr4gqtvzZm