1 2 3
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/15 12:37 p.m.

Step 1: Look up Group A, B, and N homologation listings.

There is no Step 2.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/5/15 12:51 p.m.

Not really a Homologation special.

But RX7 GTU (S4) and GTUs (S5)

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
2/5/15 1:22 p.m.

Has nobody mentioned the Audi Sport Quattro yet? Monte Aero Coupe is a good one I saw mentioned earlier. I also found the Calais Quad 442 W41? Never seen one of these before

Will
Will SuperDork
2/5/15 1:32 p.m.

Didn't they build some road-legal 962s?

Also, I see people have mentioned the Superbird, but not the Charger Daytona, or even the wing-less Charger 500.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/5/15 2:17 p.m.

NHRA always required a certain number of cars to be built and order able through the factory ordering system. You could register and street drive the early S/S stuff no problem. In fact I have ridden in a D/Dart and a thunderbolt before they became worth stupid money. (only crazy money at the time) Mind you they only did 1 thing good and that was go straight but they had everything on them to pass Texas inspection.

Almost forgot this beast. The Hurst Hemi Dart. Walk into a dealer with $4500 and you could take this beast home if the dealer knew how to press all of the right codes in the system.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/5/15 6:51 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Step 1: Look up Group A, B, and N homologation listings. There is no Step 2.

Definitely the boring way to do this

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/5/15 7:15 p.m.

Every hemi made in 65.

Btw...the Cobrajet, COPO, and whatever Chrysler calls their super stock drag package are not street cars. No vin numbers.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/5/15 7:45 p.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote: Has nobody mentioned the Audi Sport Quattro yet? Monte Aero Coupe is a good one I saw mentioned earlier. I also found the Calais Quad 442 W41? Never seen one of these before

I know I shouldn't. I really know I shouldn't. For some unknown reason, every fiber in my being wants to find one of these and buy it

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/15 8:03 p.m.

...and the later Achevia SCX

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
2/5/15 8:05 p.m.

In reply to Will:

Yeah, Dauer made a road car out of the 962 race chassis after the car was no longer competitive I believe.

Then Porsche used the Dauer as the homoligation to re-enter it in Le Mans as a GT car and won again lol.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dauer_962_Le_Mans

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
2/5/15 10:09 p.m.
pushrod36 wrote: Is the R390 really a homologation? I understood they only made two and one is in the museum. Seems more like a "because we can."

The Nissan R390 actually was built as a homologation in a similar manner to the the Porsche 917. Both companies built enough of the "road" cars to satisfy the requirements for the series then converted them into race cars. In the case of Porsche they tried to shortcut the build as road car rule and convert directly into race cars then got slapped down by the sanctioning body.

Apparently there were two R390s build for the street. One sits in Nissans museum the other was sold for an absurd amount of money (I'm sure) and never seen again.

Also I absolutely love the R390 and can't believe I forgot about it. The 90s are pretty much my favorite period for cars.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/5/15 11:53 p.m.

Awesome thread!!!

One thought I'm left with is how much more interesting NASCAR was when actual production cars still had some bearing on what got raced. Street cars and racecars both benefitted as a result.

Great stuff throughout the thread though--keep 'em coming!

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/15 10:50 a.m.
Lancer007 wrote: In reply to Will: Yeah, Dauer made a road car out of the 962 race chassis after the car was no longer competitive I believe. Then Porsche used the Dauer as the homoligation to re-enter it in Le Mans as a GT car and won again lol. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dauer_962_Le_Mans

That is so cool.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/6/15 11:14 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: ...and the later Achevia SCX

I think I remember JG racing one of those.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
2/6/15 12:58 p.m.

How about the Alfa 75 evolution also? I don't know if that's exactly the right name, but they are orange and had a body kit, stickers, etc.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
2/6/15 9:56 p.m.

190 Evo

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/6/15 11:17 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Every hemi made in 65. Btw...the Cobrajet, COPO, and whatever Chrysler calls their super stock drag package are not street cars. No vin numbers.

You're no fun....

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/7/15 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I am pretty sure that the original 60's COPO cars had vin's.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/15 7:07 p.m.
NGTD wrote: In reply to Appleseed: I am pretty sure that the original 60's COPO cars had vin's.

The GM COPO's of the 60's/70's did, but they weren't homologation specials. None of the Super Stock specials had VIN's including the Dart, Barracuda, and AMX.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/15 7:16 p.m.

Actual homologation cars:

1970 Trans Am Javelin (100):

1970 Mark Donohue Javelin (2,501):

1970 AAR 'Cuda:

1970 Challenger T/A:

1967 Camaro Z/28 (and 68 and 69 as well):

1969 Mustang Boss 302 (and 70 as well):

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.