1 2 3 4
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/30/17 7:52 a.m.

Ibtl

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
8/30/17 12:40 p.m.

I read a report that the Texas coast refineries were only 13% of the total US refineries. Of course it is a convenient excuse.

STM317
STM317 Dork
8/30/17 12:57 p.m.
pheller wrote: Only in America do we seem to buy vehicles and only consider their efficiency when fuel prices are high.

Only in America do we complain about a $0.10/gallon jump on a $2.00/gallon fuel, while we don't bat an eye paying $5 for a medium coffee from Starbucks (the equivalent of $40/gallon).

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/30/17 12:59 p.m.
STM317 wrote:
pheller wrote: Only in America do we seem to buy vehicles and only consider their efficiency when fuel prices are high.
Only in America do we complain about a $0.10/gallon jump in fuel prices, while we don't bat an eye paying $5 for a medium coffee from Starbucks (the equivalent of $40/gallon).

Let's not get crazy. Coffee is important... Very important.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
8/30/17 1:00 p.m.

In reply to STM317:

Most of us probably go through coffee a bit slower than gas. On a typical workday, I probably go through 16 - 24 ounces of coffee and about 1.75 gallons of gas (round trip to work and back). Plus, I've never seen a medium coffee (just coffee, nothing fancy that is) much over $2 anywhere outside of a specialty coffee shop.

STM317
STM317 Dork
8/30/17 1:15 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin:

I did say Starbucks. But still, the math isn't great at $2/cup of plain coffee either.

I paid $2.30/gal of regular unleaded gas yesterday. Your daily usage of 1.75 gallons at that price would round up $4.03 of gasoline usage per day.

If we do the same for coffee, and say that a 8oz cup is $2, and you drink 2 per day that means you spent $4 on coffee, but you only got 1/8th of a gallon of it for your money.

Really, the specific numbers used aren't that important. If your $4 daily coffee allowance gets you 32 oz that's an improvement, but you're still only getting 1/4 of the value/gallon. I'm just saying that gasoline costs far less on a per-unit basis than something that many people consider to be so "important" that they seem to more or less write off the costs. And yet gas prices are what we're complaining about... They're more or less a blip on the financial radar in nearly all cases.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/30/17 10:03 p.m.

We are running out of gas here.

My daughter counted 38 people in line ahead of her because this was the only gas station with gas.

Not only is the area hard hit, but so are the workers so no one can get to work. Texas is much more than 13%. I have a family member in that biz in Oklahoma. At the moment that pipeline is the only one putting gas into the state.

It's going to get worse before it gets better. And gas did hit 2.35 today - at the stations that had gas. QT is shutting off every other pump to slow it down.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/30/17 10:25 p.m.

just paid $2.49 in Michigan, was $2.38 for a couple weeks.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/31/17 7:16 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: We are running out of gas here. My daughter counted 38 people in line ahead of her because this was the only gas station with gas. Not only is the area hard hit, but so are the workers so no one can get to work. Texas is much more than 13%. I have a family member in that biz in Oklahoma. At the moment that pipeline is the only one putting gas into the state. It's going to get worse before it gets better. And gas did hit 2.35 today - at the stations that had gas. QT is shutting off every other pump to slow it down.

You may be confusing the OIL pipeline coming out of the depot in Cushing with GASOLINE. Approx 20% of all oil in the country gets routed through Cushing.

As for refinery capacity, OK only accounts for about 3% of national refining capacity.

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
8/31/17 7:20 a.m.

Seems like more stations in Austin have at least one or 2 pumps down. Prices have jumped about $0.30 here.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
8/31/17 7:35 a.m.

So far, the price jump up here in upstate NY is only $0.01 (yes, one single cent since the storm hit). I'm wondering if the whole hard-hit area is using less fuel right now (with so many roads impassable or cars left unusuable) to mitigate the country-wide effects of losing a chunk of refining capacity.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
8/31/17 8:11 a.m.

I moved from Cali to Texas this week. Im paying less per gallon

The Excursion was $130 to fill up on diesel in California on Friday, it was $75 in Texas on Sunday.

American gas prices are pretty low so I don't complain.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/31/17 8:41 a.m.

Prices here are up 50 cents. Since yesterday morning.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/31/17 9:31 a.m.

Prices here up around 40 cents in Greenville. That's a big bump, we heard a pipeline to the South is closing today. it will get worse.

We have a trip planned to CNY next week. Not sure if that's wise.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
8/31/17 10:18 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: We have a trip planned to CNY next week. Not sure if that's wise.

Just buy a tanker while you're up here and bring some gas home

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/31/17 1:03 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Prices here are up 50 cents. Since yesterday morning.

yeah, they went from $2.19 to $2.59 overnight here in MD near my office, too. Perfect timing since I have to fill up the Suburban this weekend.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/31/17 1:05 p.m.

Up 30 cents here, they do it because they can.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/31/17 1:12 p.m.

Thank goodness the recent work to my pickup netted me a 15% jump in mileage. I'm up to 16mpg! Of course, my high efficiency car does much better. It gets 18mpg in town, but it sounds cool.

I've got a 6.5 mile commute to work and have regularly biked it in the past. I'm not too concerned.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
8/31/17 3:23 p.m.

Lot of gas stations out of gas in this part of SA

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/31/17 3:53 p.m.

Every gas station but two over the 40 miles from my house to my friends on the north side of Houston was out of gas. Glad I have the Volt.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
8/31/17 4:13 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Up 30 cents here, they do it because they can.

No other reason/excuse/claim needed.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/31/17 4:24 p.m.

People thinking stations will run out of gas is a self-fulfilling prophecy. I hope everyone in San Antonio calms down soon so i can buy gas again.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/31/17 4:35 p.m.

I saw right around 30 cents a gallon since the thing. 40mpg is pretty nice.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/31/17 7:46 p.m.

2.12 In Minnesota.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/31/17 9:32 p.m.
yupididit wrote: I moved from Cali to Texas this week. Im paying less per gallon The Excursion was $130 to fill up on diesel in California on Friday, it was $75 in Texas on Sunday. American gas prices are pretty low so I don't complain.

The difference is the amount of taxes on the gas in Cali vs. Texas.

Most of the stations around me are out of gas. They've only got diesel and gas has jumped over 50 cents a gallon.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uZanm9gqgS4JPkpFsh6jn7i9sLgbpb8hPlSSQk3uwPJr2Q4OPoiEdiNhhgCrBSlb