1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/7/24 9:10 a.m.

I used to pack a PB&J for autocrosses. Then, one day, I pulled my sandwich from the cooler to find it covered in ants. Guess the baggie wasn’t totally sealed? I now tend to stick with granola bars and stop for something to eat on the way home. I pack lots of water, too. 

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
10/7/24 9:52 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I used to pack a PB&J for autocrosses. Then, one day, I pulled my sandwich from the cooler to find it covered in ants. Guess the baggie wasn’t totally sealed? I now tend to stick with granola bars and stop for something to eat on the way home. I pack lots of water, too. 

extra protein!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
10/7/24 10:14 a.m.

I think poorly is a general consensus.

I try to be healthy as I live a pretty healthy lifestyle and normal tailgating/trackside food doesn't equate to optimal human performance (it also wrecks my stomach bc I don't eat it often). But as OP mentioned, my ADD is in overdrive, worrying about the setup of the car, making sure all pre-race checklist items are completed, and whoever is in the car first has everything they need. 

In the last few years I've made it a point to wake up, get a light workout in to shake out the nerves, and follow it up with a banana, eggs, and/or oatmeal on race morning. Trying to avoid any kind of hotel food too. 

The hardest part is sticking to that diet all weekend. There's so much to do and usually you're at the mercy of whoever volunteered to buy food and cook for that weekend and I'll never turn down something someone made for me. 

I remember it being my turn to be cook for a weekend. I made a very healthy but hearty dinner. I could tell the team was not satisfied so I usually just roll with teh consensus now and keep my portions small. 

• I always make sure to have plenty of fruit for recovery on hot days. 
  • Lots of water and electrolyte supplements (sorry Gatorade isn't a healthy choice here). 
  • We typically cook chicken, burgers, and brats. Sometimes we'll do steaks if my dad isn't cooking. 
  • Bananas, protein bars, eggs, bagels, and granola for breakfast. 
  • Then various costco size snack containers of chips, sweets, etc. 
  • Beer and full wet bar for post race antics. 
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/7/24 11:01 a.m.
theruleslawyer said:
David S. Wallens said:

extra protein!

So many ants!

I should add that I do eat a breakfast before heading out. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/7/24 11:20 a.m.

Autocross isn't an issue for me. We took the Mustang yesterday and I was totally relaxed all day.

My wife pointed out it's because I don't care about autocross. In my view it's simply a great way to spend the day; hooning around in a parking lot with friends so I put a lot less pressure on myself.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/7/24 11:21 a.m.

I like a hot breakfast.  I'm usually in a rush, so that might mean a microwaved sausage biscuit or something similar from McD's.

Toast Chee crackers, bananas, and apples make good race track snacks. Lots of water.

Pack a sandwich or get something from a concession stand for lunch, depending on what's available.

I can't race on an empty stomach.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sbIFZNqRgZLQfmtFZLwOxdyct2njevV9qCIqjtbpH5yGL30gzjwrGH17vVjEFNcE