1 2
Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
4/17/23 5:59 p.m.
Antihero said:

There are people claiming 40mpg out of them cruising on flat land. Compared to the the 25/26 of the various smaller gas engines that's pretty impressive.

That's an apples (extremely limited outlier conditions) to oranges (common conditions) comparison. Put on a more equal basis, that difference shrinks.

They both seem to be shaping up as rather good engines so far. Personally, if an accurate use case assessment has it being run long, hard, and often for a 1/2 ton, I might lean 3.0 D-Max. Otherwise though, I'd probably lean 2.7T.

One big question is how many of the 'lot of miles' will be while pulling the trailer?

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/17/23 6:38 p.m.
Driven5 said:
Antihero said:

There are people claiming 40mpg out of them cruising on flat land. Compared to the the 25/26 of the various smaller gas engines that's pretty impressive.

That's an apples (extremely limited outlier conditions) to oranges (common conditions) comparison. Put on a more equal basis, that difference shrinks.

They both seem to be shaping up as rather good engines so far. Personally, if an accurate use case assessment has it being run long, hard, and often for a 1/2 ton, I might lean 3.0 D-Max. Otherwise though, I'd probably lean 2.7T.

One big question is how many of the 'lot of miles' will be while pulling the trailer?

Actually both numbers are on the outlier conditions rather than what they are rated for. Consider it a best case scenario.

How many miles is a hard thing because this is such a non formed idea that it's basically throwing a number out there. Consider it to be "most" miles will have a little trailer involved.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
4/17/23 8:27 p.m.
Antihero said:
Driven5 said:
Antihero said:

Actually both numbers are on the outlier conditions rather than what they are rated for. Consider it a best case scenario.

The best available real world data disagrees...

3.0 Duramax:

2.7T:

Even under the most optimal conditions, I have seen no credible data or evidence to suggest the diesel getting anywhere near 60% better fuel economy than the 2.7T when all else is equal.

First hand 2.7T testimonial from a fellow GRM'er:

QuasiMofo (John Brown) said:

2021 Silverado 2.7T Custom Crew Cab 2wd owner here. 

Simple facts: 

39k miles 

22.9 mpg average over those miles including no less than 4000 miles towing a 22ft open hauler with at least 4k lbs aboard...

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
4/18/23 7:40 a.m.

Being a modern diesel I would also consider if you'd be using it on short trips or more highway. Emissions tech for diesels likes long highway miles, not short trips.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/18/23 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

But a 13% increse from 25mpg is only 3mpg. Looks like the Baby d is more than capable of that. Towing I hear they are even better. 

Didn't GRM have a loaner 'burb that JG towed the project vette with and got like 25mpg average? Looking for the article now....

EDIT: details were fuzzy but:  Here it is

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5v4NXNb1brfiNR6Du7yZdlZnydPyjqUqENnTjaHibjtb1kXQDJwTSKw5JoOnfifA