1 2
96DXCivic
96DXCivic Dork
4/29/10 1:59 p.m.

Nice pushrod suspension. Have you had any problems with the rod ends? I have been told a number of times never put rod ends in bending.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf HalfDork
4/29/10 2:25 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: What exactly does narrowing a rear end require?

Depends on how it was orginaly made.

Check out how i do it. http://dwarfcarracing.com/technical-info/how-to-manufacture-a-rear-axle-housing-for-a-dwarf-car-modlite-race-car/

wcelliot
wcelliot Reader
5/12/10 12:59 p.m.

I have a 4.10 LSD RX7 rear I bought just for this purpose... sold the MG before I used it. Includes the rear discs, calipers, etc... in Frederick, MD...

I also have a "big brake" mod for the front... uses MGB calipers (new rebuilt), Spit rotors (new), and an expensive adapter plate (new)....

Drop me a line if interested in either.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Reader
5/12/10 1:36 p.m.

In reply to 96DXCivic: The pushrod suspension is now history in favor of this one:
www.picasaweb.google.com/brust.roethler

The rod end is still in bending, but here's how I figured the forces: 1.5 g max braking with 70% on the front wheels and a 1700lb car (with driver), 1/2 of forces in shear on the rod end, 1/2 of forces on each wheel: (1700x1.5)x.7x.5x.5= 446lb
Remember this is at worst case scenario. In actuality, as you apply the brakes to stop the wheels from spinning forward, it counteracts the overall forces of the hub toward the back of the car. The hub reaction pushes the hub (and consequently both balljoints) toward the rear of the car (446lb each if the hub is halfway between upper and lower), and the braking action pushes the upper balljoint toward the front of the car as the hub twists forward. This essentially negates the upper balljoints "bending" action and puts the entire braking force on the lower balljoint, which explains why they have to be so big compared to uppers.
Thanks for asking the question- it actually made me do the math and now I am much more comfortable with the whole arrangement!

egnorant
egnorant Dork
5/12/10 7:24 p.m.

The only rear ends that I have ever broken were 3 Austin Healeys and a Ford lawn tractor.....but I was abusing the lawn tractor.

Bruce

erohslc
erohslc Reader
5/12/10 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3: Hey, is that you surfin' the Hercules?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nRnM5EpaK5JPPw556iYHSbiLzjZPqSMRurf9TyZu2lrQEAOD8xY8BMXIHHPce2H2