cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
9/9/10 10:21 p.m.

I am contemplating the purchase of one and was wondering if these are actual safe items to run? There are some that arent too terribly expensive on FleaBay and I figure its a hard thing to make incorrectly just so long as the shoulder belt is within so many degrees of level. What do you guys think? I've had a harness just hanging out and need to mount it up in the car.

drmike
drmike New Reader
9/9/10 10:42 p.m.

In reply to cxhb:

I made my own and ran it in my MINI S for several years. The one I made is an extremely robust unit. In the end, I felt it was plenty safe for autocross, but I question the wisdom of using it at the track (which I have done on many occasions) without any other roll-over protection than the factory roof.

Here's a link to the old build page for that harness bar:

http://lyle.smu.edu/rcam/cpm3v/minihbar/minihbar001.htm

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
9/9/10 11:30 p.m.

I have definitely thought about making my own and know I could do it. Ive built a traction bar setup for my car that works great, but my main goal in that was to make it under the cost of buying one and it still be just as effective. This, I doubt I can do, nor do I have the time with my class-load/work schedule. Though I DO have my schools machine shop available to me... hmm....

Your harness bar looks great by the way. Definitel "beefy" lol. I think it looks very safe... Mine will likely never see track use. As much as I am dying to do my first HPDE, the simple fact of the matter is I cant afford it.

I know Sparco has one available for my car (96-2000 civic) but it is VERY expensive.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
9/9/10 11:32 p.m.

In reply to drmike:

And another thing, I looked around your website. You have some pretty cool stuff on there, are you a college professor or engineer?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/10 7:53 a.m.

Just plan on not rolling over, because then they're not so good.

drmike
drmike New Reader
9/10/10 8:50 a.m.
cxhb wrote: In reply to drmike: And another thing, I looked around your website. You have some pretty cool stuff on there, are you a college professor or engineer?

I'm an engineer. The old website is parked at my last employer (a university). These days, I build and test rocket engines in Mojave, CA. Oh, and for the record, I'm not a doctor (it's just a nickname I couldn't shake off - I started on a PhD but bailed before I finished, no regrets).

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
9/10/10 10:56 a.m.

Scaled Composites?

IMGT3_Performance
IMGT3_Performance New Reader
9/10/10 11:17 a.m.
Woody wrote: Just plan on not rolling over, because then they're not so good.

That is always a good plan!

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
9/10/10 11:51 a.m.

Ah. "How safe/legal is a cage/harness/harness bar/race seat/helmet without a cage/harness/harness bar/race seat/helmet?"

The question is frequently asked, and I wish someone would find out and let us know.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
9/10/10 12:18 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Ah. "How safe/legal is a cage/harness/harness bar/race seat/helmet without a cage/harness/harness bar/race seat/helmet?" The question is frequently asked, and I wish someone would find out and let us know.

I'm sorry, I know. Without a helmet, and on a street scenario, a roll bar/cage are definitely unsafe... And I know its probably been covered a gazillion times...

My question is, would a harness bar be ok for autocross or a track day ( if i ever friggin get to do one)? I almost want to just cheap out and buy an Ebay harness bar but there is always that chance it was just built as a show piece i.e; "jdm tight dorifto show car junk"

EDIT: JoeyM, your "is" link was actual pretty helpful. Thank you.

drmike
drmike New Reader
9/10/10 6:38 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Scaled Composites?

No, XCOR Aerospace.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
9/10/10 7:21 p.m.

XCOR, awesome. You guys were involved in the rocket racing league right? I think one of my classmates from SJSU interned down there for a while...

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/10/10 8:41 p.m.

short answer:

For autocross, a harness is fine as is a harness bar - since your harness is really just to hold you in place, not protect you in an accident, and there is pretty much no chance of rollover, unless you're in a Geo Metro on r-comps, lol.

I actually run a harness in autocross with no bar at all - just a direct link to the rear deck (5* down-angle from the shoulders) running through the seat opening...see below.

I would NOT run a harness bar on the track for any reason. Frankly you shouldn't run a harness on track unless you have a roll bar, because if your car does roll w/ no roll bar, and the roof caves, the harness won't allow you to easily duck your head out of the way like a seatbelt would.....unless of course you don't mind a compacted spine. A seatbelt is far safer on the track than a harness w/out rollbar.

Here's my autocross setup.....works great. Save your money, you don't need a harness bar.

eye-bolted with a backing plate on a double-sheeted section of the rear deck...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/10 8:59 p.m.

for the street... I would never run a harness. I had a friend who had one in his car.. PITA.

I am still divided on the rollbar though. most single hoop bars are far enough behind the seat I don;t think I would worry about them too much.

As for a harness when killing cones.. if you are allowed to in your class.. go for it! Every bit of securing is another bit you can use for controlling the car, not your movement

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
9/10/10 9:55 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: for the street... I would never run a harness. I had a friend who had one in his car.. PITA. I am still divided on the rollbar though. most single hoop bars are far enough behind the seat I don;t think I would worry about them too much. As for a harness when killing cones.. if you are allowed to in your class.. go for it! Every bit of securing is another bit you can use for controlling the car, not your movement

Well, now that i just picked up another civic tonight for $1200. I wont have to run the "harnessed" car on the street other than occasionally or to and from events.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
9/12/10 8:15 p.m.

I'm sure most of the regulars here have already read this

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/five-point-belts-will-paralyze-you-and-other-fun-safety-facts/

That's one of the links I couldn't find the other day that I wanted to include in my previous post. I wish someone with a lot of money would test a bunch of cars with these different setups.....

irish44j
irish44j HalfDork
9/12/10 11:32 p.m.

^^ bah, that's what I said above!

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 New Reader
9/13/10 8:17 a.m.

There is an SAE spec for harness bars. It states they should be able to support 3000 lbs for each occupant that can be strapped to them. I know there are several companies that build their bars to this spec (I used to work for one), but most don't. If it is a simple bar across the car it won't meet this.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/13/10 9:13 a.m.

that is good to know.. better overkill than being killed

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VCrL49p6Y3hnI3AbbtkvShPOrw7kgUmFsRSQ4lpGG2bKhlAlVvEsxrKiqnr6kinV