1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/13 1:57 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
pbkelley wrote: How will you know if they aren't sandbagging?
Honor system.

Calculate HP by trap speed.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/30/13 1:58 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Darren has a TDI Golf. It's white. The GTI wheels make it look extra sporty.

Highly dependent on year, let's say 16.0

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/30/13 2:01 p.m.

PT Cruiser 18.0

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/13 2:09 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
Honor system.
The owner of the slowest car wins. The drivers do not drive their own vehicles.

I think we're all going to drive our own cars. Remember, this is supposed to be a fun, laid-back outing.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/30/13 2:13 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
Honor system.
The owner of the slowest car wins. The drivers do not drive their own vehicles.
I think we're all going to drive our own cars. Remember, this is supposed to be a fun, laid-back outing.

I'll tell you from experience that it's -way- more fun to drag race someone else's car.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/30/13 2:37 p.m.

Shame. No one actually wants to be the loser here.

I just bought Joe's AMC Eagle. If it's running in time for the drag night, I might bring that. But don't bet on it. Likely still bring my fiance's Yaris.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
7/30/13 2:46 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Honor system.

Sandbagging? Hell, this race is going to take long enough as it is...

I'm assuming there's just one pass, as that's all time allows for? We can also assume there will be no burnouts to heat the tires.

I'll say the Benz goes slowest at 19.2, trap speed of 62mph if the wind is blowing right.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
7/30/13 2:49 p.m.

David, If that Catalina doesn't go deep into the 17's, you're doing it wrong. I'm saying 17.2 @ 80mph.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
7/30/13 2:51 p.m.

I wish I could bring my Nissan Sentra XE now. Maybe 60+ HP?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Event Marketing
7/30/13 3:03 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
Honor system.
Sandbagging? Hell, this race is going to take long enough as it is... I'm assuming there's just one pass, as that's all time allows for? We can also assume there will be no burnouts to heat the tires. I'll say the Benz goes slowest at 19.2, trap speed of 62mph if the wind is blowing right.

That's the Trooper's quarter-mile time. I'm betting high-16s.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/30/13 3:12 p.m.

Don't make me bust out the long extension cord...

jg

Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant
7/30/13 3:16 p.m.

My TDI is a 2012 with a 6 speed to those asking. It has an intake, mufflerectomey, springs, and gti wheels.

I think my time will be a 17.9.

May the fastest slow car win!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/13 3:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: To make this a little more interesting, I think each of us should pick a dial-in time now--how fast do we think we will go? Whoever gets closest to their dial-in will win some piece of random crap found in my office. (No, you can't have the deep-well 17mm socket sitting on my desk.) I'm thinking the wagon will run an 18.5. Wait, that's crazy. I'm going to say 19.5 seconds.

Use Price is Right rules. If someone guesses too high, their guess is thrown out.

I once took my Mini to the drag strip. Partway down the first run, I realized I didn't know where to go at the end and it was dark. Or even where the end was. Luckily, the stock Miata in the next lane got there first so I followed him.

On another run, my headlights failed. So I kept my foot in it as I fiddled with the electrics to make them come back on. Mini drag racing is always exciting.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/30/13 3:35 p.m.

Alan----- If you get the Eagle running well, it will handily destroy all but Darren's fancy new car. Well, David's wagon has a good chance-- if he has the heart to really wail on it. I think he likes it too much to really punish it.

A TDI VW isn't all that slow--- it's almost like cheating.....

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/30/13 3:36 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Don't make me bust out the long extension cord... jg

You're the man....low end torque

Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant
7/30/13 3:37 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Alan----- If you get the Eagle running well, it will handily destroy all but Darren's fancy new car. Well, David's wagon has a good chance-- if he has the heart to really wail on it. I think he likes it too much to really punish it. A TDI VW isn't all that slow--- it's almost like cheating.....

The TDI was roped into this because a certain S-class owner seems to think he can beat it. Plus, i'd like to know what it runs anyway!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/13 4:03 p.m.

Dude, you're coming with us.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/30/13 4:46 p.m.

DAMMIT- I wanna play. I've got a 3 speed slushbox prism that thought the speed limit was optional. To reach that is.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/30/13 4:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
Dude, you're coming with us.

Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out what to bring. Maybe it's time for ultimate wagon showdown.

jg

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/30/13 4:53 p.m.

Yeah, when does this go down? (...and can the rest of us play?)

I probably can't get the geo repaired by then, but inquiring minds want to know.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/13 5:00 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

There's a 1974 AMC Matador (coffin-nose) station wagon powered by a 232ci inline-6 for sale up here. Don't make me ship to Florida!

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/30/13 5:11 p.m.

OOOHHH!! Long-roof FTW

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
7/30/13 5:27 p.m.

Joe- the Danger van might be a shoe-in :)

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/13 6:54 p.m.

We had a five Miata drag race once at an airport. Mine was slowest

We didn't drive our own cars. So maybe it was the driver. I didn't win, so maybe it was the driver.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
7/30/13 7:10 p.m.

Speaking of silly contests, I would LOVE to see a battle for the ultimate GRM message board car. Is the answer always Miata? We could find out through a series of tests!

And maybe we can have several stock to mildly modified versions of every example...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WDVCONKT1equcPl9bQYMnb7IyZR3TxC6Ai0YWZk4NjRX5u8amUlVkOSvySxzJyFG