1 2
redstack
redstack New Reader
11/9/11 2:34 a.m.

So like I said I typed in RACE in CL and this spit out.

928 race car red

Why does this actually seem to make sense?

I love the concept of driving a car to the track of course, and I bet you can fit a bunch of stuff in the back!

Has anyone ever kept one of these running? I know stupid expensive and complex, but wow

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
11/9/11 5:41 a.m.

Anything can be done, for a price.
The seller says he has 3 cars and does not need that many. I wonder what the other 2 are but notice that the 928 is the one he is getting rid of.

11110000 Reader
11/9/11 6:07 a.m.

Prepped for racing = stuff that breaks has probably been tossed or upgraded.

It might cost a bit more when something does break, but I fear my thinking is similar to yours - this actually makes sense!

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/11 6:10 a.m.

Cough, cough, LS-series, cough . . .

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
11/9/11 6:23 a.m.

It's NOT a stupid idea. It's absolutely berkeleying brilliant!

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/9/11 6:49 a.m.

Hmm... makes perfect sense to me...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/9/11 6:58 a.m.

Not stupid at all. Don't have to pay for gas in the tow vehicle.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
11/9/11 6:58 a.m.

The only 928 I've ever roadraced against sure seemed to get pushed on the trailer alot. Like every time I saw it...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
11/9/11 7:21 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: The only 928 I've ever roadraced against sure seemed to get pushed on the trailer alot. Like every time I saw it...

Hush, you!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/11 8:02 a.m.

I bet a stripped 928 would be reliable on the track. All the junk that breaks would have been sold off or trashed long ago

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/9/11 8:30 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I bet a stripped 928 would be reliable on the track. All the junk that breaks would have been sold off or trashed long ago

This.

I also know you can fit unholy amounts of tire on these things.

I'd rock it.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/9/11 9:48 a.m.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

I drove one of their 928-- LS conversions last week. Yes, you need one! Rip out that overcomplicated, underpowered German lump and sell it to some sucker. Install LSX and enjoy!

redstack
redstack New Reader
11/9/11 9:50 a.m.

Ah nothing like support from ones peers.

I'm of the "well all the bad stuffs been thrown away" mind.

Might be worth calling the guy to find out what he's keeping..

redstack
redstack New Reader
11/9/11 10:03 a.m.

The big question in my mind on LS swaps is

WHY

Why not just buy a Z06 an be done with it?

OK a V8 powered 914 might be crazy fun. But the Jags, Mercedes and Pcars with V8 swaps just doesn't make sense to me.

I know reliable and cheap parts, but it seems like my buddy with the Caddy Northstar swapped into his fiero just has problems.

He had to go with a slushbox because there is no transaxle that would bolt up. and he's had nothing but trouble with cooling and fuel..

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/11 10:06 a.m.

There was a guy at the Glenn doing a P car track day with a race prepped 928. The sound that car made made me weak at the knees.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
11/9/11 11:02 a.m.
redstack wrote: The big question in my mind on LS swaps is WHY Why not just buy a Z06 an be done with it? OK a V8 powered 914 might be crazy fun. But the Jags, Mercedes and Pcars with V8 swaps just doesn't make sense to me. I know reliable and cheap parts, but it seems like my buddy with the Caddy Northstar swapped into his fiero just has problems. He had to go with a slushbox because there is no transaxle that would bolt up. and he's had nothing but trouble with cooling and fuel..

Because at least the Jaguars and Mercedes can be done a lot cheaper then a Z06.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/11 2:18 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: There was a guy at the Glenn doing a P car track day with a race prepped 928. The sound that car made made me weak at the knees.

they do sound good uncorked, no?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/9/11 2:28 p.m.
redstack wrote: The big question in my mind on LS swaps is WHY Why not just buy a Z06 an be done with it? OK a V8 powered 914 might be crazy fun. But the Jags, Mercedes and Pcars with V8 swaps just doesn't make sense to me. I know reliable and cheap parts, but it seems like my buddy with the Caddy Northstar swapped into his fiero just has problems. He had to go with a slushbox because there is no transaxle that would bolt up. and he's had nothing but trouble with cooling and fuel..

The 928 trans is stout enough to handle a LSX. Also, with the price of 928s and 944s these days (basically free), building a track weapon out of one could be done for less than the $20K or so needed to buy a C5 Z06.

There is also the unique factor, but it is hard to monetize that.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/11 4:12 p.m.

They do sound pretty nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lievLoxOKQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We7IS_afCww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZOvgLAqAs

http://www.928intl.com/race/index.htm

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky HalfDork
11/9/11 4:16 p.m.

Makes sense to me.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy HalfDork
11/9/11 4:53 p.m.

I got a ride in an instructor's 928 at Gingerman once. It was a fun ride. He could do the entire track in 3rd gear due to the wide torque curve.

redstack
redstack New Reader
11/9/11 5:09 p.m.

Ok emailed the guy. I'm curios what we'll find out.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/9/11 8:40 p.m.

Having spent alot of time with an 87 s4 I would do it

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/9/11 9:57 p.m.

I always thought 928's were cool. I like the idea of racing one.

redstack
redstack New Reader
11/9/11 11:54 p.m.

Ok going to start a new thread after talking with this fellow.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fujp7vbh4QwmkZ4FCKFvZKEAczdZzLcGUSKmmrxbb0bLkJHhRG604v3soz3w5FGQ