1 2 3
pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/16/13 5:30 p.m.

So I have been looking for a new toy. I had a hankering for something older and American, to cruise around in and eventually resell. We'll yesterday this dodge dart popped up on craigslist, and long story short it is now parked in front of my house. It has 107k miles, cold a/c and it runs great.

The issue is tomorrow I am driving to braselton ga for the petit lemans at road Atlanta (325 miles one way). I was originally going to take my 1981 land cruiser but now that I have the dart I was thinking of taking it. The land cruiser is reliable but it tops out at about 60-ish (4-speed and 4.88 gears) and gets atrocious gas mileage. The dart rides better and would get better gas mileage (slant 6 225).

What does the brain trust say, I am leaning towards the dart. What could possibly go wrong taking a untested 40 plus year old car on a 750 mile trip....

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/16/13 5:33 p.m.

Take a tool box. You'll be fine. Probably.

Got AAA or Better World Club or something to get towed to civilization if you need repairs involving parts?

Was the Dart being driven or just sitting before you got it? If it's been sitting, I'd be a little more concerned that something's been rotting away only to fail shortly after being pressed back into use (hoses, belts, water pump...)

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/13 5:33 p.m.

Take the Dart. Not for fuel mileage or anything, just on principle.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/16/13 5:36 p.m.

The recently acquired Dart, I have had it 5 hours....

Land Cruiser...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/13 5:37 p.m.

Take a hammer, a flat head screwdriver and a pair of vice grips. There isn't anything on a slant 6 that can't be fixed with those.

If the car as run at all in the last year, drive it. If it's been sitting for years, I'd probably take something else.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/16/13 5:38 p.m.

I drive the Land Cruiser daily. The sller told me he did the same with the Dart. I drove it quite a bit today (40 miles or so) and nothing jumped out at me which is why I am considering it in the first place.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/13 5:39 p.m.

Ohh, pictures.

With that in the drive, there is no way I would drive the Land Cruiser, take the Dart.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
10/16/13 5:46 p.m.

That dart is FRESH. Take it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/13 5:46 p.m.

Slant 6 Dart? I'd take that even if it had been sitting for the last 30 years.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
10/16/13 5:50 p.m.

Take the Dart. Take a spare ignition module (Standard LX101, don't buy the cheap ones), a spare ballast resistor, and some hand tools. Keep the ignition module and ballast resistor in the glove box. If you sell the car they stay in the glove box. Standard Mopar insurance package.

I think there's a GRM network anywhere in your 750 mile trip that can help if anything else hiccups.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky SuperDork
10/16/13 5:53 p.m.

That's purty. I think you need to drive that on looks alone.

Lovin that Cruiser too!

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
10/16/13 5:58 p.m.

Needs moar 440 and 727.

Seriously though, both of those are friggin' sweet!

RoadRaceDart
RoadRaceDart Reader
10/16/13 6:10 p.m.

Keep the slant. Triple Weber side drafts or a Hyper-Pak

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
10/16/13 6:14 p.m.

Take the Dart. It has to be taken on a shakedown run eventually, might as well be sooner than later.
You probably only need a screwdriver and four box end wrenches to fix anything on the car. A whole box of tools is certainly overkill.

Lancer007
Lancer007 New Reader
10/16/13 6:38 p.m.
Woody wrote: Take the Dart. Not for fuel mileage or anything, just on principle.

This. Great memories and stories rarely start with making the most rational decision.

Awesome aquisition by the way, definitly drive and enjoy it before winter gets here.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
10/16/13 6:52 p.m.

I'd drive the Dart. Make sure you have AAA and a tool kit. Looks like rain Thursday (60%chance), if that sways your decision. I like that both your cars are a similar color.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/16/13 6:52 p.m.

I am in Florida, Winter consists of 40 degree lows. I am leaning towards the Dart. One downside is that it only has the OEM AM radio which works perfectly. I have a battery powered boom box that I will set on the seat so I don't lose my mind listening to sports radio....

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/16/13 6:54 p.m.

I am not worried about the rain, neither car is particularly fun in a downpour or is equipped with stellar brakes to begin with. They will both be piloted with some trepidation.

fritzsch
fritzsch HalfDork
10/16/13 8:06 p.m.
Woody wrote: Take the Dart. Not for fuel mileage or anything, just on principle.

Just so it is said again.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/16/13 8:10 p.m.

Classic mopar all the way. About the only thing can destroy a straight 6 dart is rust and you have that covered.

Take a small tool box and a radio and enjoy the drive.

Lancer007
Lancer007 New Reader
10/16/13 8:11 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

Ah, well then scratch that logic and just take the dart anyway.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/16/13 8:14 p.m.

I vote Dart and a tool box. And, none of that silly metric stuff. Real SAE stuff.

beans
beans HalfDork
10/16/13 8:19 p.m.

Looks like my grandmother's Dart. Hers has a 318, though. I think it's a '72 Swinger.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
10/16/13 9:01 p.m.

Oooh, just the right stance. I've liked that body style Dart since I was a teen and they were newish. Wanted one with that stance and Crager Klassics wheels.

Take the Dart and the mentioned tools/spares. Will be more comfortable.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
10/16/13 9:07 p.m.

Since there isn't a front shot I'm guessing 71-72? Is it beige or gold? I had a 74 in beige and my dad had a 72 in beige.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yzXVcZPxqoYYlqhZhD045Ou60vqxzDyZXmlvV9FzuvCxTb0DCn6QzLzWRizZTP1B