1 2 3
Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
10/16/13 9:16 p.m.

You seem to have a thing for butterscotch.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
10/16/13 9:21 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Since there isn't a front shot I'm guessing 71-72? Is it beige or gold? I had a 74 in beige and my dad had a 72 in beige.

Looks like a '73 to me. Big front bumper, but the thin '71-72 rear.

carbon
carbon Reader
10/17/13 12:35 a.m.

Love the fj, atrocious lol, isn't that a little optimistic? Like the new rig too. You have good taste.

G8MikeGXP
G8MikeGXP New Reader
10/17/13 7:31 a.m.

My three-year-old likes the Land Cruiser because "you put your kids in the trunk." I'd drive the Dart though. Trial by fire and all that.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/17/13 8:01 a.m.

Nice score! If it's safely made it on a 40 mile trip, everything working, I'd put a spare ignition module in the glove compartment, a AAA card in my wallet, and take the Dart. They were designed for long highway cruising and handle it great.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/13 8:02 a.m.

I agree.. take the dart.. the hive mind has spoken

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
10/17/13 8:50 a.m.

That Dart looks NICE! Nice fine...oh and take the Dart.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
10/17/13 9:11 a.m.

Take the Dart! Even the worst darts (ie. the sub $500 crapheaps which went on BABE rally 3 or 4 times) have survived that 1500 mile trip.

One of the crazies who did that with Team Two Horsement of The Carpocalypse lives in Atlanta and has lots of Mopar connections if you need an assist when you get down there. Just shoot me a note and I can get you 2 in touch if needed.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/17/13 9:12 a.m.

Congratulations for creating a ridiculously huge inner battle within me.

I'm completely paralyzed trying to figure out which of those two vehicles is giving me the biggest boner, and i don't even LIKE Mopars.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/17/13 9:50 a.m.

Take the Dart.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/17/13 10:10 a.m.

Lets kick the tires and light the fires, Boss. If anything's gonna happen, it'll happen out there....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/13 10:43 a.m.

DART!

and if the wheel widths and offsets are the same front to rear, and if the front and rear tires are the same sizes, i'd swap LF and RR tires, so you've got two BFG's on the driver's side and two no-names on the passenger side. aesthetics, that's all.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
10/17/13 11:38 a.m.

I'm a little leery of taking a new-to-me car on a serious trip, but ... it IS a Dart.

Take basic tools and spares as noted above, and have fun!

In case you haven't heard, the Slant Six Forum (http://slantsix.org/) and For A-Bodies Only (http://www.forabodiesonly.com/) are your friends.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/17/13 1:22 p.m.

Dart all the way, BTW that is a Chrysler Valiant downunder

Just a lil trivia

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
10/17/13 1:31 p.m.

having driven an a-body mopar for the better part of 20 years, take the damn dart if you aint figured it out by now.

plan on eating ballast rsistors/ecm/points at some point every 1000 miles or so. like other guys said, keep spares. for some reason, if those spares are on board, the parts are 1000000 times less likely to actually go bad. as soon as i started carrying spares, i never had another failure. go figure.

also, prior to leaving, chect the front end out good. it still wouldnt stop me from taking the trip, but it would let me know if the tires will get me home. the lca bushings will destroy tires quicker than fat elvis can clean up at shoneys.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/13 3:08 p.m.

You can probably do a complete tuneup on the slant six in the time that it takes to brew a thermos full of coffee for the ride.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/21/13 10:31 p.m.

Taking a road trip through south Georgia in October in a classic car should be a must for any car enthusiast. The weather was good for most of the trip and the car did exceptionally well. I took the Dart obviously...

Me and my buddy Mario loaded tha car up to the gills with camping stuff and headed out of town around 2:00. We would have left a little earlier but Mario had a meeting and could not get out of it. One advantage the cruiser has over the Dart is obviously storage room. We had stuff crammed everywhere. You can also see in the photo below our sweet entertainment system . The Dart is equipped with a factory A/M radio which still functions as it should. However I really did not feel like listening to sports radio for 6 hours so I took my "boom box" out of the garage and rigged it up with a cassette adapter so I could listen to "Pandora" off my phone. It worked like a charm...

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/21/13 10:40 p.m.

Here is Mario standing by the Dart...

Obligitory picture in front of Ga sign as we cross the border...

Yet another gas stop. Either the Dart has the smallest tank in the world or its gas gauge is super inacurate. It would read 1/4 tank after about 130 miles and I could never put more then 8 gallons in it.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/21/13 10:49 p.m.

We pulled into Braselton Ga about 9:00 or so. I took this picture in the parking lot of the supermarket when we purchasing supplies, ie; beer and food.

Thanks to the Dart we scored a sweet camping spot. As we were driving through the infield looking for a spot to set up our tents we were acosted by multiple old school Mopar fans. After striking up a conversation about the car they offered us the space near them. We ended up talking to them the rest of the weekend, cool guys...

Here is the Dart in front of its home for the weekend...

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/21/13 10:54 p.m.

I am really glad I decided to take the Dart to the Petit Le Mans. I felt like a minor celebrity, and it was neat seeing peoples reaction to the car. I can't tell you how many people randomly struck up conversations with us about the car, but it was alot.

At one point there was a hot asian chick in an Audi R8 driving in front of us through the infield. I didn't hear any comments about her as we drove past but I had several people point at the Dart and wave and or comment on it. I guess that is the south for you...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
10/22/13 7:28 a.m.

You've probably got an 18 gallon tank, or thereabouts - and a bad ground at the gas tank sender. Mopars have higher resistance the emptier the tank is, and if the ground adds resistance - it reads emptier.

I found out the hard way on my truck project that Chevies are the opposite - a bad ground makes the tank read too full.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/22/13 8:29 a.m.

Great story and good choice of car. No pics of the hot chic in the R8?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
10/22/13 2:34 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Great story and good choice of car. No pics of the hot chic in the R8?

Unfortunatly not. I was driving and we were behind her...

m_walker26
m_walker26 New Reader
10/22/13 3:00 p.m.

Great to live vicariously through your adventure. Been to Florida, Been to Road Atlanta, Never driven a Dart on the trip and had such a memorable adventure. Thanks for sharing.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
10/22/13 3:35 p.m.

Best use of a Dart I've seen in a while.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k1ZjYN2PeSmHZ5pBU4vbmYOgaHIe0V7WWICAydxsrBJbsnSMZsgwyke7GfPKOsX9