1 2 3
barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/13/24 3:24 p.m.

2003 auto. Runs. No AC. 

Scrap prices. There isn't a redeeming feature, but if anyone knows something I don't, weigh in. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
5/13/24 3:25 p.m.

Normally no. But damn they are a good beater.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/13/24 3:30 p.m.

The PT Cruiser GT with manual trans is generally an ugly Neon SRT4 so that's somewhat good.

The plain Jane version tends to get surprisingly poor fuel economy...like 21 mpg. 

gixxeropa
gixxeropa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/13/24 3:43 p.m.

It doesn't count as a pt cruiser unless it's eggplant purple and has every piece of chrome trim they sell at autozone stuck on it.

Jokes aside, there's a guy near me that has at least 3 that all seem to work, so I guess some people must like them

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/13/24 8:19 p.m.

I think they have potential in a weird kinda way. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/13/24 8:31 p.m.

Challenge budget PT Cruiser of sorts

EchoTreeSix
EchoTreeSix New Reader
5/13/24 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Saw a Donut media vid where they had a lowered PT on aftermarket wheels and front lip. It was kinda cool.. video was ehh. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
5/13/24 9:25 p.m.

Don't forget when brand new to the market dealers were getting market adjustments over MSRP. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
5/13/24 10:11 p.m.

It would be a heck of a beater if it's not to much work to get it drivable.

I want one with a hopped up N/A 2.4 and a manual.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/13/24 11:53 p.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

Don't forget when brand new to the market dealers were getting market adjustments over MSRP. 

Imagine how dumb you would feel now if you paid over MSRP for a PT Cruiser. I hope those people are doing well, but damn, that was a bad decision.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/14/24 12:04 a.m.

My brother was an engineer on the PT Cruiser design team, and owned a couple of them (including a Barney purple one, although he didn't add any chrome to it.)  Looks are subjective but I thought they were pretty decent cars.  They had a surprising amount of interior space for hauling stuff when you folded down the back seat.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
5/14/24 12:22 a.m.

This one is a driver. Neighbors middle kid owns it, and they're not taking it when they move out of state in a couple weeks. It's pretty rough, and very familiar with curbs and bumpers and such. But I can't find a cheap car without wondering what could be...

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/14/24 12:54 a.m.

It's a neon but uglier.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/24 1:01 a.m.

Two questions:

1) Would you like to own a pickup truck?

2) Do you own a Sawzall and a welder?

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
5/14/24 7:03 a.m.

Take it, clean it up, sell it. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 HalfDork
5/14/24 7:23 a.m.

It's a neon but uglier this could be a good or bad thing depending on your feelings towards FWD Chrysler stuff as a whole. 

Surprisingly okay mini wagon all the way around, great hauling capacity with the rear seat out, I've always found them pretty comfy. 

Annoying but not particularly hard to work on, surprise power steering leaks have led to a handful on engine fires on the earlier cars.

The PT Turbo (180hp 2.4 turbo) and GT Cruiser (full fat 230hp SRT4 spec 2.4 turbo) are fun but are NOT SRT4 wagons, both missing LSDs and anything resembling performance oriented suspension or tires. Front sway bar off a convertible and as much rear sway bar as you can find makes handling a little less unfortunate. Front suspension is all neon, rear suspension is PT unique with almost no aftermarket support. 

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
5/14/24 7:58 a.m.

In reply to DarkMonohue :

Legally speaking it already is a pickup!

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
5/14/24 8:05 a.m.

IIRC, the 180hp and 240 hp engines were the same in every respect but software.

Turbo versions can make great sleepers.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/14/24 9:11 a.m.

Has anyone mentioned the panel van version yet? (Looks kinda cool but also the world’s biggest blind spot.)

wae
wae UltimaDork
5/14/24 9:12 a.m.

Can confirm, the turbo and turbo-lite are both just EDV motors.  The turbo version in the GT and I think at least one other trim makes the same power as the SRT4 motor because the PCM advances the timing a bit and holds the wastegate shut longer.  It also requires 91 octane whereas the turbo-lite can run on 87.  They both also have a different intake manifold than the SRT4 for packaging reasons, but it's a simple swap.

Even with the N/A EDZ motor, they're really not terrible cars.  They're getting up in age, of course, so watch out for rust and everything, but the motor and transmissions don't have any time bombs buried in them.  Maintain them and they'll last for quite a while.  The oil pressure senders and valve covers are known to leak so if you're not watching the fluid levels you can run them out of oil that way.  The alternator has to be replaced out the bottom after pulling the passenger axle.  I've never done a timing service on one with the engine in situ, and that sort of looks like a pain in the ass, but I know it's not an engine-out procedure.

When they came out, pretty much everybody in the whole world was enthused with the styling and people waited to pay over MSRP for them.  They're fairly buzzy, a little heavy for the amount of power in the EDV, and the gas mileage isn't great, but it's not abysmal either.  For a get around town car, they're not bad.  Put the seats down and you can carry all manner of stuff in the back.

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/14/24 9:26 a.m.
dculberson said:
Datsun240ZGuy said:

Imagine how dumb you would feel now if you paid over MSRP for a PT Cruiser. I hope those people are doing well, but damn, that was a bad decision.

They were a hot commodity. Sure, they're kind of a joke now, but when they were launched there was literally nothing like them. Chrysler didn't even have to advertise them; they were featured in popular media (TV, printed comic strips, etc.) and magazines were praising them. People paid what the market dictated. Sure, tastes have changed in the intervening 2 decades, but the PT Cruiser was a Big Deal when it launched. 

All that is to say, for a while PT Cruisers were surely worth more than MSRP. 

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/14/24 9:26 a.m.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/14/24 9:29 a.m.

Sounds like an envelope class car in the making. Add some cams to the two four, a bunch of spring rate, some negative camber, a little more rear bar, and a bit of weight reduction. They're a cast iron motherberkeleyer to work on under the hood and it does have the inherent Chrysler difficulties to service and procure parts for. But for a $300 starting point it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/14/24 9:34 a.m.
gixxeropa said:

It doesn't count as a pt cruiser unless it's eggplant purple and has every piece of chrome trim they sell at autozone stuck on it.

Uggg ... I see one that matches that description to a tee as least 2x per week!  Every time, it is in front of my on my drive home from work going at least 5mph below the posted speed limit, regardless of what that limit sign is.  20 in a 25, 30 in a 35, etc., etc.  

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/14/24 10:17 a.m.

Is the tank full or empty?

That will have a huge impact on it's value.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FK6GQtVikyBr9vnSFOHqytwH7usy2Kdp4gkp3jgVwVFugPHi68glYbKzkPEaTUYU