CrashDummy
CrashDummy New Reader
8/25/12 4:26 p.m.

I've decided I need a Miata as an autocross/track day car. I'm looking for a cheap NA, and my research has me decided on trying to find a 94-97 with LSD and a hardtop. I wasn't planning on buying asap but I recently came across an add for this: 95 Miata, 120K, hardtop. Claims to be a garage kept summer car. Priced just over 3K. I have emailed the Lady a couple of times and found out that it's a 5-speed that she's owned since 04 doing about 4K per year. I don't think she knows what a Torsen is, but the car has power windows, power mirrors, and cruise control...I think this mean PEP and thus Torsen? That all sounds good. Problem is the only maintenance she has done is annual oil changes. My miata research tells me that I would want to do water pump and timing belt right away? As with any car I guess plugs, plug wires, trans fluid, diff fluid, and brake pads would be a good idea. What do you think we are talking as far as cost to get the car up to date on its maintenance? I have not seen any pictures yet, but if the car is in nice condition, what you you pay? What about if it's in average condition?
Any advice is appreciated. Sorry for so many noob questions...I wanted to do more research before grabbing a Miata but it looks like this one may be a GREAT deal.

peter
peter HalfDork
8/25/12 5:01 p.m.
CrashDummy wrote: I've decided I need a Miata as an autocross/track day car. I'm looking for a cheap NA, and my research has me decided on trying to find a 94-97 with LSD and a hardtop. I wasn't planning on buying asap but I recently came across an add for this: 95 Miata, 120K, hardtop. Claims to be a garage kept summer car. Priced just over 3K.

So you're paying $2k for the car and $1k for the hard top. Unless it needs body work, or the underside is massively rusty, I'd pay this in a heartbeat (if I needed another Miata).

I don't think she knows what a Torsen is, but the car has power windows, power mirrors, and cruise control...I think this mean PEP and thus Torsen?

If it came from the factory with power mirrors, it also came with the Torsen.

That all sounds good. Problem is the only maintenance she has done is annual oil changes. My miata research tells me that I would want to do water pump and timing belt right away? As with any car I guess plugs, plug wires, trans fluid, diff fluid, and brake pads would be a good idea. What do you think we are talking as far as cost to get the car up to date on its maintenance?

You'd want to do a timing belt, may as well do the water pump, tensioners, seals, etc while you're in there. Miatas eat plug wires, get a set of the original NGKs (and NGK plugs while you're at it) and the car will be very happy with you. Hold off on the brake pads until you learn/decide what you want to do as far as street/autocross/track. Then do both pads and stupid-cheap rotors.

Finish Line/Rosenthal Mazda in VA is regarded as having good prices and service on Miata maintenance items. Whatever their prices on the timing belt kit, wires, etc are your base costs. Fluids can be as cheap or expensive as you'd like.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/25/12 5:13 p.m.

...and before folks start saying they bought a similar car for $500, remember he's in CT. Where an 18 year old car that's rust free is a rarity.

TxCoyote
TxCoyote New Reader
8/25/12 5:55 p.m.

Buy it if it is what she says. Getting a car in good condition is worth a little extra $$ and will save you lots of headaches in the future. As for the belt/water pump do it immediately but at least you'll know it was done and when.

1966stang
1966stang Reader
8/25/12 5:59 p.m.

I would pay it in a heart beat. Good NA Miatas are getting hard to find here in Ohio.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
8/25/12 6:28 p.m.

If it is as represented, it is probably gone while you ponder.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
8/26/12 12:10 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: If it is as represented, it is probably gone while you ponder.

Truf. If you really want to obsess about it, Miata.net has a buyer's checklist but IF its got a solid body and hardtop for $3K, all else can be forgiven or fixed.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy New Reader
8/27/12 4:41 p.m.

Checked out the Miata today....the body was nice BUT had some old purple/orange pin-striping painted on the side and the hood that was badly faded....not sure if it would be possible to easily remove something like that? The underside looked very good for a car that's almost 20 years old. Some rusty bolts but also some that are not rusty. Interior was nice but the A/C, CD, and antenna were broken. The bigger concern though. Under the hood everything was clean BUT it looked like there was a slow oil leak at the back of the motor. Not the type that would ever leave a puddle but enough to make the engine dirty. I have circled the area on the photo below. The leak was present on both sides. What is the issue, and what is the fix?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/27/12 4:55 p.m.

Chances are it's either the O-ring on the cam sensor or the cam cover gasket needs a dab of silicone/RTV/your preferred sealant. Neither of the leak areas is uncommon and they're fairly easy to fix.

The antenna is pretty much always broken unless someone replaced the mast recently.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
8/27/12 5:23 p.m.

Valve cover comes off for the timing belt anyways and a new gasket is cheap.

On the timing belt, rad comes out and you are taking apart the front of the motor. Its not too bad, but easy to knock several things out while its apart.

Crank/cam oil seals, hoses, belts, (check condition of the rad itself, end tanks get brown/brittle), swaybar bushings.... all easy to do in the TB maintenance. (before you do it read about the crank nose issues on miata.net)

Don't forget brake/clutch fluids!

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
8/27/12 5:23 p.m.

To replace the CAS o-ring, I suggest removing the bolts that hold the brake lines against the firewall. Gives you more room to work back there. And make sure that you mark the orientation of the sensor before you remove it, so that your timing won't be changed when you button it back up.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
8/27/12 8:31 p.m.

buy it already. that's a steal.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
8/27/12 8:50 p.m.

Buy it.

The pinstripes are probably vinyl, easy removal. What color is it? If it has single stage paint the hood could buff back to shininess. If its toasted clear coat, well, deal with it or spend a couple hundred to get it resprayed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O1eGKz3fVwlJGezEunMNq6Erf2WpAESyrRgoSbeNmHeHwaLMIsRNIhTkMLR240nO