1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 104
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/16/23 11:33 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

You don't know about that time we tried to break the forum by quoting quotes of quotes. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/16/23 11:59 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

You don't know about that time we tried to break the forum by quoting quotes of quotes. 

Pretty sure it didn't go 57 pages.........

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/23 1:26 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I think we got close to 57 quotes, though.  laugh

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/17/23 6:52 a.m.
frenchyd said:

I'm sure things are very easy in Texas with regard oil.  Not all states are the same.  
    Even in Texas I'm sure there are some cantankerous land holders who refuse to sell or allow access.  

You keep wanting me to focus on drilling.  
   I granted you that.  But I've read too much about delays and legal fights to agree that  it is always a walk in the park. 

These sorts of blanket statements you make are illinformed at best.  If it were "easy" TX wouldn't have so many rigs and need so many wells.  Now Saudi, there it is "easy."  They poke a hole in the ground, oil rushes out.  

Can you just admit it doesn't take 3 years to put in a well?  It won't kill you. Can anyone speak or discuss anything from an honest position anymore?  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/17/23 8:14 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I'm sorry but people I trust have informed me otherwise.  
but just to allow you to get past this. Yes it's takes a few seconds of paperwork and there never  is a delay. 

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
6/17/23 11:09 a.m.

All he wants is to argue.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/17/23 6:52 p.m.

In reply to racerfink :

Let's be honest, they both do. They're enjoying it.

6/17/23 9:31 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to racerfink :

Let's be honest, they both do. They're enjoying it.

I won't lie.  I enjoy a good argument.  This, however, doesn't qualify as good.  Arguing with someone that can't admit 10-12 > 0.125 to 0.33 just shows how bad this is.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/17/23 11:17 p.m.

Sorry, people that can't or won't supply verifiable data do not win any arguments. A typical well in ND takes about a month to drill, but that is not the whole story.

Let's look at North Dakota's Bakken and Three Forks oil wells because unlike backwards Texas, they know how to winterize their energy infrastructure; oil, gas and wind.

2013: Bakken 5-Year Drilling and Completion Trends

Production Decline Curve Analysis in the Annual Energy Outlook 2023

After 5 years, these wells are barely producing. Edit: Hence, why it is a lot funner to pump oil at $100/bbl instead of $30.

And as far as never running out of oil, All of North Dakota's oil reserves combined don't equal one year of US oil consumption. North Dakota Bakken and Three Forks recoverable oil; 4.3 billion barrels of oil. Total US oil consumption 2021; 6.8 billion barrels.

Assessment of Undiscovered Continuous Oil Resources in the Bakken and Three Forks Formations of the Williston Basin Province, North Dakota and Montana, 2021

United States Oil Consumption

6/18/23 2:41 a.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

A month is 4 weeks.  That means you are drilling 13 wells per year per rig.  13 >> than 0.125 or 0.33.  So your data proves my point too.  It also agrees with the data I linked.  What a surprise.

Nice try calling TX backwards and ND amaze balls though.  It's a red herring fail at argumentation.  

The US has already produced over 10x the oil counted as official reserves on the books.  Reserves are funny because it's always too conservative for investment purposes and people being afraid for their job.  There are still some spectacular failures though.  

And yes anyone familiar with unconventional wells knows about steep decline curves.  That's all part of the equation and technology.  

TX and and are both just fine.  The average person in this country and abroad couldn't remember enough lines to get a job as an extra on Idiocracy 2 though.  

This no carbon nonsense is literally stupid and will force a societal collapse.  But by all mean, continue if you choose.  Unfortunately the Constitution allows for full freedom in this respect.  

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/18/23 9:32 a.m.
racerfink said:

I think Frenchy want's discussion and debate, not arguing- I've never seen him try to act haughty about something. Anthony tho, he'll act superior even when his own "evidence" contradicts him lmao

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
6/18/23 10:26 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

They both want to argue. If you want discussion and debate you don't ignore almost every direct question you are asked. 

6/18/23 11:41 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
racerfink said:

I think Frenchy want's discussion and debate, not arguing- I've never seen him try to act haughty about something. Anthony tho, he'll act superior even when his own "evidence" contradicts him lmao

You love making statements like this while providing zero evidence.  Irony much?  

So we all agree it doesn't take 3+ years to develop an oil or gas well?  I know... maths are hard.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/18/23 11:50 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
racerfink said:

Really? Well selective criticism and personal bias don't look good on you.

frenchyd said:

I'm sorry but people I trust have informed me otherwise.  
but just to allow you to get past this. Yes it's takes a few seconds of paperwork and there never  is a delay. 

No condescension there at all. Nope. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/18/23 11:52 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Nice try calling TX backwards and ND amaze balls though.  It's a red herring fail at argumentation. 

I don't follow Texas except when they hit the national news after freezing to death hundreds of their citizens because they are too cheap to winterize their infrastructure even though they regularly have below 0 degree F. winter temperatures and do not have any way of hooking up to the US grid when things fall apart. And then it's citizens re-elect the same politicians who did it to them. Yep, pretty backwards.

6/18/23 2:53 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

I don't follow Texas except when they hit the national news after freezing to death hundreds of their citizens because they are too cheap to winterize their infrastructure even though they regularly have below 0 degree F. winter temperatures and do not have any way of hooking up to the US grid when things fall apart. And then it's citizens re-elect the same politicians who did it to them. Yep, pretty backwards.

It's an interesting point of view but the details of the situation exceed that simplicity.  

1) As Frenchy loves to point out TX leads the nation in " renewable" power.  

2) I've stated numerous times there is a vast difference in renewable power and reliable power.  Sadly most people can't even grasp this concept.

3). No one is investing in the energy grid or real infrastructure.

4) Due a variety of political reason that cannot be discussed in this forum (yes due to fear), the population of TX is growing more rapidly than other places.  More people = more electricity desired.  Care to check my math on that?  Do I need to post a NYT article for it?  

5). Winter storm Uri was the first time every county in TX froze at the same time.  It's never happened before.  In case you didn't know the farthest south portion of TX is about the same distance from the tropics as Miami.  Ever hear if all of FL freezing.

Lastly, the I observation that I enjoy a good debate is true.  Sadly this places doesn't offer that very often.  It shows promise at times but then the censorship starts and stupid insults.  Those tactics only make me question the intelligence of the poster.  If that's "condescending" not really a big deal to me.  Common sense should be common, but sadly todays society praises people and thoughts that are frankly stupid.  I'm not willing to bend the knee to stupid ideas.  

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/18/23 3:35 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

They both want to argue. If you want discussion and debate you don't ignore almost every direct question you are asked. 

Hm, true. But I don't think I've ever seen Frenchy mad, Have you?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
6/18/23 3:50 p.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Yes, when we told him not to saddle his granddaughter with a car payment. I'm not sure either is "angry" here, as people read bias into usernames. It's entertaining to watch as we all know no one will suddenly decide "the other guy has a point"

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
6/18/23 3:55 p.m.

Lastly, the I observation that I enjoy a good debate is true.  Sadly this places doesn't offer that very often.  It shows promise at times but then the censorship starts and stupid insults.  Those tactics only make me question the intelligence of the poster.  If that's "condescending" not really a big deal to me.  Common sense should be common, but sadly todays society praises people and thoughts that are frankly stupid.  I'm not willing to bend the knee to stupid ideas.  

Well thank goodness you're not unyielding in your opinions. LOL.

There is plenty of debate on this site but as I've noted it's also a haven from the hyper politized rhetoric much of the internet thrives on. When people stray from that there will be multiple people calling that out.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE SuperDork
6/18/23 4:02 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Yes, when we told him not to saddle his granddaughter with a car payment. 

Huh, I didn't participate in that one.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/18/23 5:03 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Yes, when we told him not to saddle his granddaughter with a car payment. I'm not sure either is "angry" here, as people read bias into usernames. It's entertaining to watch as we all know no one will suddenly decide "the other guy has a point"

MAD? I listen to the group.  Asked her if she wanted to do that.  When she told me no I moved on. 
      Just because I believe that was a smart move doesn't mean others have to agree with me. 
     I found a good cheap car that only cost $500  and gave  it to her.   She doesn't have a place to park it so it remains here. 

6/18/23 5:18 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Well thank goodness you're not unyielding in your opinions. LOL.

There is plenty of debate on this site but as I've noted it's also a haven from the hyper politized rhetoric much of the internet thrives on. When people stray from that there will be multiple people calling that out.

I understand your point.  I also disagree a bit (shocker).  I agree there is too much hyperpoliticized rhetoric.  Where I differ is I think the average poster here cannot have an open or honest discussion and try to find common ground.  One side can pretty much say whatever they want and insult anyone without consequence.  As a matter of fact they often get praised for it for going along with their side.  Any different views get censored and downvoted.  And a whole slew of silly tactics get employed to try and shut anyone up that disagrees or shame them into silence.  As you can see, those tactics don't work in my case. I know you think it's "calling people out."  That's just a euphemism for bad behavior in this case.  Everything I have ever been accused of by anyone here is done worse by others and cheered on because it supports the popular opinion.  Being popular has nothing to do with truth.  

So yes, I am unyielding.  I know that can be a weakness, but it can also be a strength.  I don't see other posters acknowledging they have weaknesses and strengths, do you?

And for anyone that thinks I'm in "the wrong" here still.  Let me point out the last 5+ pages are a result that I disagreed with Frenchy that it takes 3 to 8 years to make productive oil and gas wells.  Every single poster here now knows that is in fact false.  Yet only one person is on record saying it's false:  this guy.  So keep coming at me if you like.  If you really want me to stop there are two ways.  Agree and admit it when I'm right or prove I'm wrong.  It's easy.  When I'm wrong I'm glad to learn from it and move on.  Sadly, most people can't do it.  The pathetic part is this is a simple topic.  It's not nearly as difficult as the one of many topics that cannot be discussed here.  

Oh and Happy Father's Day to the fathers out there.

So 5+ pages because zero people on this site can admit 10-12 is much greater than 0.125 (1/8) to 0.33 (1/3).  Yes 10-12 per year doesn't matter compared to 1 every 3 to 8 years by that logic. The only thing that matters is popularity and posting in an approved manner and tone.  Call me crazy but if that is what is needed to be considered cool and hip here, I  just can't do it.  I can't set aside simple verifiable facts in order to just get along.  My mind doesn't work that way, and I'm not willing to spend the time to reprogram it to do that.  You may see this as a character flaw.  I see it as a sign society is completely dysfunctional or well on that path.  

I'm not correct all the time.  I'm not the nicest person on GRM.  That's probably Stampie.  None of that changed my stance on how long it takes to drill and complete wells.  I spent 11 years analyzing borehole data from all over the world.  I'm not falling for "my trusted sources" on this issue.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/18/23 5:22 p.m.

I 'm going to get back to EV's.   Someone said America as doing nothing about the Grid.  
  So far this year Solar is 57% ahead of last year which was a record breaker..  

Lots of little sources equal  a big power plant without the distribution issues. 
      In addition the Tesla Power walls are making homes more and more  self dependent .  We all have seen the Ford commercials about their lightening  back feeding a homes power  Turns out there is a company  ( forgot the name, I'll check)  that even allows Tesla's or other brands to do he same thing. 
in addition to that Tesla is using their mega packs  to provide reliable power  to areas.  The Tesla factory in Texas  is one example.  
 It's not charity it's a solid business deal. 
   Elon Musk buys surplus energy when its cheap to charge  the Megapac.  Then when there is an electrical shortage he sells his surplus back to the grid at the now much higher  rate.   That whole industry which is brand new can be as much as 1 Trillion dollars.  ( part of the reason Tesla's stock has gone up so much ) 
  The one at he Tesla factory will run a city  

Elon Musk has already sold that around the world.    In Australia  they were going to shut down a coal power plant in 100 days and he got a fully renewable site up and running in that 100 days.  
       Since the beginning  of the year . America has shut down 22TWH worth of coal plants   
   Between Solar, wind,  and water. America has 369 TWH 

while coal only provides 149 TWH  

So when it's said the reliable power  can't come from renewables. Maybe not completely yet.     But soon!!  

6/18/23 5:38 p.m.

Solar is a power source.  It is not the grid!  The grid is the distribution network for the power sources.  A coal plant, gas plant, and nuclear plant are also not the grid.  Each supplies energy to the grid.  The grid is a network of wires and substations to distribute that power to all the users.  

And no major money is not being spent on the grid.  Just track blackouts over time in the US.  The grid is in near 100% reactive maintenance just going to failure after failure.  A proactive strategy of upgrades, maintenance and repair is not happening.  I know this too because I interact with major utilities in my new job.  

One company I interviewed with reverse engineers and repairs failed grid and distribution equipment.  They have to do this because a lot of the electrical infrastructure (the grid) is old and the companies that built it do not exist anymore.  

So yah, the grid isn't being managed in a way that supports the all EV dream.  There was a Berkeley (yes ultra liberal pro EV Berkeley) that said California's grid capacity needs to increase 20% to meet their EV goals.  I'm sure you'll try and blame this on me though and give me some nonsense about "your sources."  Or perhaps you'll try and explain to me how solar panels are "the grid."

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
6/18/23 6:29 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

MAD? I listen to the group.  Asked her if she wanted to do that.  When she told me no I moved on. 
      Just because I believe that was a smart move doesn't mean others have to agree with me. 
     I found a good cheap car that only cost $500  and gave  it to her.   She doesn't have a place to park it so it remains here. 

100% revising that history. You were dead set on doing it wether she wanted to or not. I'd show you but you deleted the thread. Nothing to do with this thread, but your answer is BS. 

1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 ... 104

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
83GOqeVh41LnaRqz5LVETbSSthnTxxn7quak6v53TW5IVlunHzDlQ5stYgA4QnZe