1 2 3
The Brown Stig
The Brown Stig GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/09 9:33 a.m.

There is a rumor locally that a guy is building an AWD Cobra clone using a V8 GMC Envoy drivetrain.

IF it's true I would love to turbocharge the snot out of something like that!

Will
Will Reader
7/28/09 10:31 a.m.

Paging Dr. Lingenfelter and Dr. Duttweiler to the OR...

scardeal
scardeal New Reader
7/28/09 10:47 a.m.

I want someone to make an American equivalent to the GT-R...

LS1/2/3/7/9 (or supercharged Ford V8), AWD and a willing chassis (not a truck), IRS, etc.

I guess I want an AWD Corvette, really.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
7/28/09 11:42 a.m.

1000hp isn't that hard anymore. There are a couple street driven Lancer EVO's in town with right around 1000hp.

I watched a street race between one of them and a Yamaha R1 from a 60mph roll, the EVO was immediately in front and stayed there to over 180mph.

If you go to V8's there are 8-10 1500hp+ cars, I think 4 of them are over 2000hp, all in this little town. All large single turbo (mostly SC101) BBC.

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
7/28/09 12:49 p.m.

It's not difficult to build a 12V Cummins to make 1000+hp... and still be perfectly docile around town...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
7/28/09 1:09 p.m.
scardeal wrote: I want someone to make an American equivalent to the GT-R... LS1/2/3/7/9 (or supercharged Ford V8), AWD and a willing chassis (not a truck), IRS, etc. I guess I want an AWD Corvette, really.

yes please!! too bad GM dismantled/kaputzed its HiPo unit

Fords still doing their new turbo deal though...alfa, any word on a ford goodie with forged internals on the horizon? what about a awd turbo hemi challenger? do hemis take well to squishing?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/28/09 1:11 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: How do I get it?
You saw the board at Rollins. It's not that hard if you're willing to spend. IIRC, the top HP on their board right now is 1600 or 1800 hp. That's with NOS of course. And only somewhat related, I had to post this picture. I found it when googling twin turbo V8 set ups. Nice!

Who's car is that?

It looks suspiciously like Lance Styck's outlaw class mustang. Runs 7.4's @ 180 mph+

He's a neighbor!

I've seen footage of that car airborne and upside down @ nearly 180.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
7/28/09 1:15 p.m.

^^

"I am upside down, this is not good"

TJ
TJ HalfDork
7/28/09 1:17 p.m.
xci_ed6 wrote: 1000hp isn't that hard anymore. There are a couple street driven Lancer EVO's in town with right around 1000hp. I watched a street race between one of them and a Yamaha R1 from a 60mph roll, the EVO was immediately in front and stayed there to over 180mph. If you go to V8's there are 8-10 1500hp+ cars, I think 4 of them are over 2000hp, all in this little town. All large single turbo (mostly SC101) BBC.

First, don't street race. Hopefully you watched it on you tube and not in real life.

Second, if you wantched it in real life how can you really see, Anything going from 60 to 180 covers some ground...where would one stand to watch that?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/09 1:18 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
dyintorace wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: How do I get it?
You saw the board at Rollins. It's not that hard if you're willing to spend. IIRC, the top HP on their board right now is 1600 or 1800 hp. That's with NOS of course. And only somewhat related, I had to post this picture. I found it when googling twin turbo V8 set ups. Nice!
Who's car is that? It looks suspiciously like Lance Styck's outlaw class mustang. Runs 7.4's @ 180 mph+ He's a neighbor! I've seen footage of that car airborne and upside down @ nearly 180.

No idea. I did find it on a Mustang forum though. I just thought it was cool looking.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
7/28/09 3:10 p.m.
The Brown Stig said: maroon92 wrote: it looks like Turbo boobies... (sorry, I just woke up) LOLZ, How was your trip?

the trip was great, I took it slow and got here in 14 hours. the "Aspire8" drove great, and made it the whole way with no issue. I will post something about the trip later tonight.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
7/28/09 3:50 p.m.

You'd have to modify the engine bay a little to get 1000 horse-power. I know, lame.....give me a break we're having record heat in WA and I have no A/C in my office (or windows, for that matter).

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
7/28/09 4:21 p.m.
TJ wrote: First, don't street race. Hopefully you watched it on you tube and not in real life. Second, if you wantched it in real life how can you really see, Anything going from 60 to 180 covers some ground...where would one stand to watch that?

I knew I'd catch flack for mentioning it, basically the scenario was that I was riding around, and I saw a bunch of people stopped on a bridge over the interstate. I stopped just in time to watch them fly under it, probably at around 120-130mph. It did end up on the internet though.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/AMS-Video-Contest-6_548451.htm

No street racing for me, but that Evo is nuts. I've seen it at a few car shows around. Fully stock interior & exterior, ultra-light front brakes, definitely not safe for the street, but that is what it is built for. Would not meet the safety requirements of any track. He went through a few engines getting it right, turns out that it pulled so many G's on acceleration it was starving for oil

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
7/28/09 7:27 p.m.

I used to race in Hillclimbs back in Oz, one of my competitors had a very fast 750 hp R32 GTR, he then went out and spent $80,000 to make 1000 hp.

Sidenote: At every hillclimb after that, he went a second slower, even 4WD has its limits of grip.

He hated my 250 hp RX3 with a passion.....

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
7/29/09 9:31 a.m.

Here's another local one, it says 846@21psi, but I heard that he runs more like 45-50, and it puts down somewhere around 1300whp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-EVOMR-848-HP-Brand-New-Everything_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a7Q7c39Q3a1QQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em245QQhashZitem3a51134436QQitemZ250468320310QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucksQQsalenotsupported

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 HalfDork
7/29/09 9:39 a.m.

you could get one of these...

Lightning
Lightning New Reader
7/29/09 9:49 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
scardeal wrote: I want someone to make an American equivalent to the GT-R... LS1/2/3/7/9 (or supercharged Ford V8), AWD and a willing chassis (not a truck), IRS, etc. I guess I want an AWD Corvette, really.
yes please!! too bad GM dismantled/kaputzed its HiPo unit Fords still doing their new turbo deal though...alfa, any word on a ford goodie with forged internals on the horizon? what about a awd turbo hemi challenger? do hemis take well to squishing?

yep, IIRC Saleen's new gig is making a boosted 750hp Challenger SRT-8 and some 500+hp versions too.

kyproset
kyproset New Reader
8/21/09 5:38 p.m.

don't wake up, or spend a million .

EricM
EricM HalfDork
8/21/09 8:19 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: it looks like Turbo boobies...

Teenage fantisy fullfilled

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
8/21/09 9:22 p.m.

We've sponsored a couple of cars which came pretty close to those numbers at the wheels, or went over it. Either would have more than 1,000 at the crank:

http://www.diyautotune.com/cars/customer/gary_hart_studebaker.htm

Merlin 515 inch big block plus a pair of turbos. Gary bought a lot of the parts used to hold costs down. Ran 248 mph at Bonneville this year, but grenaded one of the turbos trying to back it up.

http://www.diyautotune.com/cars/customer/parish_turbo_truck.htm

A built 408 inch LS1 with twin turbos, a small hit of nitrous, and some careful tuning.

The formula's about the same in both cases: Lots of cubes, lots of boost, and some careful tuning.

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
8/21/09 9:31 p.m.

How the heck does he launch that truck? That's a new class of sleeper there.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
8/21/09 9:57 p.m.

you know I'll happy with 150 hp and a cage for my ACVW. The p71 really dose not need more power, I sure I can get in troble with it if I want to....

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade New Reader
8/22/09 12:26 a.m.

Last I heard, these guys had this engine in an Impala and were headed to the track...

Here's the Link

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
8/22/09 2:53 p.m.
MitchellC wrote: How the heck does he launch that truck? That's a new class of sleeper there.

Its 4WD and actually looks gentle off the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZTA3hPcjc

check at about 1:15 into the video for a good shot of the launch.

ronbros
ronbros New Reader
8/22/09 3:04 p.m.

how many of you think you could drive a 1000hp, and be competitive too.

YAH! i know,, you love to try it.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qnOakBBwpKPxTcXylNdl8yqYJgoGuDbdqn0b0Pv6HNfffmYni7Ao67LXq4gLsoDv